Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steam page?

Steam page?

There's a Steam sale on right now, and there are options to nominate games. Does Kingmaker have a steam page yet, or will it in time for these?

Community Manager Berserkerkitten's Avatar
    We don't wanna use Steam for preorder stuff, because we want all the money from preorders to go straight back into the game. And that means it has to go via our preorder page.
    http://nutiminn.is/kattarshians/

Oh, I didn't mean pre-order stuff. Games have pages with "Available 2018" where the purchase button would be. System Shock remake for example.

So no page I assume?

We don't wanna use Steam for preorder stuff, because we want all the money from preorders to go straight back into the game. And that means it has to go via our preorder page.
    I'm just curious. Would it actually have been better for the developers to buy this game as a pre-order on this web page rather than through Kickstarter?

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    I'm just curious. Would it actually have been better for the developers to buy this game as a pre-order on this web page rather than through Kickstarter?
    I personally think that without Kickstart quite many of us would not have heard from this game. But this is just how I see it.
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"

Yeah that's for sure, i'm just thinking that if a game reaches it's funding goal on kickstarter and you haven't bought the game yet, it might be better to wait for the preorder right after kickstarter ends. It would be interesting to know for any next games i decide to back.

Quote Originally Posted by Titan View Post
    Yeah that's for sure, i'm just thinking that if a game reaches it's funding goal on kickstarter and you haven't bought the game yet, it might be better to wait for the preorder right after kickstarter ends. It would be interesting to know for any next games i decide to back.
    I think there are multiple sides here.
    a) will there be any preorder site from the game developers or just later something from steam or so (with naturally higher prices)?
    b) can you get anymore these things what you would get from kickstart (what many times include some special bonus, like here it clearly state "including exclusive backer-only content" <= you can not get them later from steam or so even if you want to).
    c) during kickstart there was multiple messages telling how "they stop backing up game" because of language support or so. What might have happen if we would have gotten more support. (I personally do not care but still that is a factor).

But sure, there are allways some people who first wait to see if product get enough support to get through before they back it, or wait for last few days in kickstart or even decide to read previews or so before buy it (or wait for GOTY or steam special sales)

What I mean is: in many kickstarter campaigns I have not seen that makers let people know that they can preorder products still (even if kickstart do not work out) and give url for that. Allso for some odd reason I prefer to give my money to kickstart as a page hoping that they will not get busted instead of multiple people around world hoping that any of these pages do not leak my credit information :D

Not saying that I do not like idea how owlcat keep up getting funds and really using them to make this game (hopefully) something what is WAY better we even dared to dream in the start. Just thinking that in most kickstart campaigns it is unlikely something like this will happen.
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"

Community Manager Berserkerkitten's Avatar
    Kickstarter and preorders are both great. I don't think I know enough to say whether one is inherently better than the other. Without Kickstarter, there'd be no awareness for our game. Many gaming websites and blogs out there reported about our campaign, Kickstarter itself featured us in their "campaigns we love" section and Kickstarter allows people to back projects like ours, even when they're not feeling ready to spend a whole lot of money. It all adds up in the end. It's also great value for money, if you're willing to take the risk. The digital edition cost only 28 Bucks during the campaign, which is a lot of game for your money. I mean, sure, financially speaking it's even better (for us) when somebody preorders for 35 Bucks, but I think that the whole "you pay less if you back us on Kickstarter" thing has its own appeal and attracts backers, who may otherwise not be interested in a preorder.

I believe it would have been a lot harder to get people to check us out had we started with a preorder page from day one, especially since we don't seem to have any dedicated web designers on our team. There's no denying that our website needs updating and our forums are plagued by stupid amounts of spam bots. We're working on these things, but everyone involved is also working on the game in some way or another. Sometimes we're stretched a bit thin.
    The great thing about the preorder page is that everyone supporting us there directly supports the game. Someone spends 35 Bucks on a digital edition - BAM! That's another 35 Bucks towards the next stretch goal. You do that on Steam and Valve will keep a sizable chunk of the money.

Oh, I didn't mean pre-order stuff. Games have pages with "Available 2018" where the purchase button would be. System Shock remake for example.
    To be perfectly honest with you, I didn't even know that was a thing. Not sure any of the Owlcats did. I'll forward this to Oleg. Thanks!
    http://nutiminn.is/kattarshians/

It's just one of those event things. Last year they had this during the Winter sale. Everyone just picks a game that matches a price, then they have a little winners image on the front page for the last day of the sale.

No big deal. I know that there's a bunch of business decisions that revolve around when and how you want to get the hype-train started.

It'd also be good to do a bit of marketing right now, while gaming publications are putting out "Most Anticipated Games of 2018" lists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast