Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

-Apotheosis of the protagonist-

I was thinking (I blame ES4: Oblivion for that) that it will be a cool idea if the players where given a chance to ascend into divinity at the end of the game or even before that.

IRL i know that I'm going to die some day, but in games i like my protagonists to be in a everlasting glory.
    In Oblivion, The Hero of Kvatch ascended to godhood, into the pantheon of the daedric princes.

I would love to see such feature in this game. And even variations of that based on your alignment through out the game.

I'm new here, and unfortunately i was not able to contribute with kickstarter, but i will buy this game on day one.

Ascension isn't really in Pathfinder without the use of the Starstone. It is an artifact located in a city that won't be in this game, so the likelihood is very low.
    [I]Vivat Grendel![/I]

While it has been said that Pathfinder: Kingmaker will have a bit of an Baldur's Gate fibe... do we really need another Throne of Bhaal experience on top of the nobility escalator?

I mean: the game's timeline advances for only 5 in-game years. Within these 5 years the player character most likely needs to climb the nobility latter from baron, to marquis, to count, then duke, followed by archduke, all the way up to king. That in itself is already quite a life career. And in best time, too.

Well, it's actually a matter of debate whether the Champion of Cyrodiil became Prince of Madness as it was never directly confirmed. However, that's too much off-topic, so let's settle that opinions on that matter differ.

I too like the idea of Godhood(yes, Throne of Bhaal), but for me it is more appropriate for an Epic(in case of D&D), or Mythical(in case of PF) adventure, rather than the regular 1-20.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamigoroshi View Post
    While it has been said that Pathfinder: Kingmaker will have a bit of an Baldur's Gate fibe... do we really need another Throne of Bhaal experience on top of the nobility escalator?

I mean: the game's timeline advances for only 5 in-game years. Within these 5 years the player character most likely needs to climb the nobility latter from baron, to marquis, to count, then duke, followed by archduke, all the way up to king. That in itself is already quite a life career. And in best time, too.
    But this is exactly my point. You become the top tier of what a mortal can be! ...and then just die.
    Your empire crumbles with time and all that.

Aside from that, godhood is extremely rewarding. Don't know if the hero of Kvatch continued as Sheo, but during the time in the shivering isles everyone calls you sheo, and your servants are willing to fight and die for you. You even have influence over the climate of your own realm.

Godhood is SO satisfying as an end game, and if a remember, Nethys and another god became gods WITHOUT a Starstone. With knowledge and power or even you tricking another god, the possibility seems limitless for me.

I see no appeal in that, sorry. Especially not if ascension gets cramped within such a short timespan as an afterthought.

To fully explore an apotheosis plotline, Owlcat Games would need to create a full fledged sequel of Pathfinder: Kingmaker. We already saw with Throne of Bhaal that a mere expansion pack alone will not suffice. At the very least not in a satisfying way. The most terrifying enemies would become pushovers, the still mortal companions becoming dead weights in battle, and CHARNAME would leave the kingdom behind anyway in favour for renting a real estate located in one of the Planes. And don't get me started with all the paperwork involving the job change from mortal to deity. It takes eaons for the godly bureaucracy to get anything done! :p

Yeah, I agree that randomly tacking a path to godhood onto this game won't do it any favors.

I wouldn't mind seeing some exploration of options for immortality within the game though, as it definitely does seem like something that a king would easily become preoccupied with. This wouldn't necessarily have to entail the protagonist's transformation into a vampire, lich, or whatever else during the game itself, but it could be an incentive for quests and alliances that influence end game epilogues/outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamigoroshi View Post
    I see no appeal in that, sorry. Especially not if ascension gets cramped within such a short timespan as an afterthought.

To fully explore an apotheosis plotline, Owlcat Games would need to create a full fledged sequel of Pathfinder: Kingmaker. We already saw with Throne of Bhaal that a mere expansion pack alone will not suffice. At the very least not in a satisfying way. The most terrifying enemies would become pushovers, the still mortal companions becoming dead weights in battle, and CHARNAME would leave the kingdom behind anyway in favour for renting a real estate located in one of the Planes. And don't get me started with all the paperwork involving the job change from mortal to deity. It takes eaons for the godly bureaucracy to get anything done! :p
    A fair point. However, this idea was not necessarily for this game alone. I hope this game give birth to a new series with new games and DLCs.
    Think about it, if they could make your character from a past game a choice for a Deity in the next game, that will be awesome.
    And the ascension should happen at the end game, so the problems you said wouldn't come to pass. Unless they create a game only with this in mind. Ascension, godly politics, divine enemies and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ztron5 View Post
    A fair point. However, this idea was not necessarily for this game alone. I hope this game give birth to a new series with new games and DLCs.
    Think about it, if they could make your character from a past game a choice for a Deity in the next game, that will be awesome.
    And the ascension should happen at the end game, so the problems you said wouldn't come to pass. Unless they create a game only with this in mind. Ascension, godly politics, divine enemies and all that.
    Not my flavor. I enjoy characters who exist in the world, not above it. Further, lore in Pathfinder is designed that each AP takes place and the changes that occur afterwards are based off the previous AP. I don't want an AP that has a single player elevated to godhood. Save stuff like that for a home game.

Irori is the other good who self ascended.
    [I]Vivat Grendel![/I]

I agree with the others, no godhood for the character. It would take something extraordinary for that to happen, and a mere king/queeen is imo not enough. If they were to do a game that dealt with that, then they could explore how Cayden Cayliss got turned into a god..
    Last edited by Ulfgeir; 07-29-2017 at 12:57 PM.
    --
    I have not lost my mind, it is backed up somewhere on disc...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast