Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: RTWP vs TB

I prefer the RTwP system over TB.
    I don't think TB has more depth as you can do everything in RTwP that you can do in TB.
    TB is simply easier to plan ahead because it's actually binary as opposed to more analog like RTwP, but that doesn't mean it actually has less depth if you know what you're doing.
    Also simple things like fleeing to a the city guard to help you would be tedious in a TB system where it would take you several minutes to travel such distance. Or escaping combat when you don't feel like like fighting another pack of weak goblins again.
    Like Stratagemini said, RTwP really just speeds things up as you don't need to wait for the enemies turn to be over.

RTwP is why I backed this game and TB would've been a deal-breaker for me. The "perfect game" for me is RTwP. TB truly sucks and I cannot play them. What's more, an RTwP game can at least to some extent simulate TB with good auto-pausing options, but the reverse is not true. So while a TB fan can potentially enjoy an RTwP game, an RTwP fan absolutely cannot enjoy a TB game. Lastly, strictly looking only at high-fantasy cRPGs, which are the only games of interest to me, there are way more TB games available than RTwP games.

RTwP and TB both have their advantages and fans, as this thread definitely shows.

I'm a big fan of the Infinity Engine games. Their combat is fast-paced and pretty seamless, at least early on. At low levels using 2nd Edition rules it's simple and straightforward. The disadvantage comes when you're trying to control 6 high-level party members, each of whom has multiple abilities that need to be used. You end up with a lot of pausing and chaos.

TOEE has the best fantasy combat system I've used, at least once you've modded it to be useable. There's tactical depth, great battlefield control, real advantages to flanking, and great control for characters with multiple complex abilities. It can be slow when you're in larger fights though, and that game's AI, story, voice acting etc are just bad. But the combat engine means I've completed it several times.

If Pathfinder: Kingmaker is a success then I would hope turn based play would be considered as an option in any sequel or add-on. But I wouldn't lose sleep about it.

RTwP > TB.

Quote Originally Posted by Alastar View Post
    I have pledged for this project and this is the first time I ever pledge on kickstarter. The second I read about this I was sold. I love kingmaker, I love pathfinder, and I just want to see a video game done by clever people that renders that spirit of adventure and exploring.
    That said, I do not think I would have pledged if I had known that the game was RTWP (Real time with pause) because to me that just removes the entirety of the strategical aspect that I love so much about pathfinder.

I feel that RTWP transforms a game and a system into a clickity fest of the least effort rather than having each fight be a carefully thought out strategical debate that really immerses you into this.
    I agree with pretty much everything you've said in this thread. I would hands down prefer TB. It's a better fit for Pathfinder. Controlling the battlefield so the blaster in the party can maximize their cones or bursts is clear and exact in TB. I think that without TB and/or a grid it's practically impossible to do reach and AoOs. No acrobactics to maneuver around the battlefield.

TBH I was upset when I found out it was RTwP. The information was there (combat in intro video shows everyone acting at once, in the FAQ, etc), I was just too excited by the idea of this game that I didn't pay close attention. Since I somewhat recently played XCOM 2, I was imagining that the combat was going to be something like that. Grid, cover, TB, be able to move the camera around to check out the scene, clearly see range, etc.

But, someone in this thread mentioned how KOTOR had RTwP and I thought it worked rather well, so I have some hope that it'll work out in this game. It will change how we approach and act in fights but it might work out okay (or at least okay enough).

I have read every answer here and I'm really happy to see people commenting on this, weither they agree with my assessment of TB or not, it's fun to get some responses from people and some arguments in favor or against.

I'd like to point out here that I believe what would be best is if there was an option for a turn based system when you play the game, not just to set up an auto pause.

If the devs have already started coding it as a RTwP there's absolutely nothing us TB lovers can do, but perhaps it is better this way, because it is easier to make a mode for TB in a RTWP then vice versa.

Let me explain, and I realise that to someone who knows coding, this might sound absolutely stupid, please do not hesitate to call me on it, I know very little of programing (I am however familiar with problem solving and logical thinking from my work in corporate asset optimisation)

1: You create a standalone status effect, let's call it alt-daze, that makes characters unable to move or act, but still able to make attacks of opportunities and taking no penalties (not flat footed). Alt daze also freezes the timer on debuffs and buffs alike.

2: Combat starts, two things happen:
    -Game pauses
    -Everyone in the fight gets afflicted by alt-daze

3-The game then follows initiative order (which has been established as still being a thing if i'm not mistaken, otherwise it should be simple enough to code in), unfreezing that character for 6 seconds (or whatever duration best represents a round) 1 character at a time. Everytime it gets to one of your characters, the game pauses automatically so you can tell them what to do.

4- Rinse, repeat

Of course this is a rough draft and I don't expect anything out of that, I just hate complaining without thinking of a solution, and if nothing else comes of it but we debate on if it works or not, it will be an amusing exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by kanisatha View Post
    RTwP is why I backed this game and TB would've been a deal-breaker for me. The "perfect game" for me is RTwP. TB truly sucks and I cannot play them. What's more, an RTwP game can at least to some extent simulate TB with good auto-pausing options, but the reverse is not true. So while a TB fan can potentially enjoy an RTwP game, an RTwP fan absolutely cannot enjoy a TB game. Lastly, strictly looking only at high-fantasy cRPGs, which are the only games of interest to me, there are way more TB games available than RTwP games.
    Can you give exemples? I mostly only see RTwP games?

The vast majority of JRPGs fall into the TB combat model.

Also the Shadowrun series by Harebrained comes to mind.

TOEE is another famous example, though I think people overlook the numerous problems that system had.

Quote Originally Posted by Alastar View Post
    Can you give exemples? I mostly only see RTwP games?
    I was also surprised at first, but after counting rpgs with party based combat (just what I could remember off top of my head), it does look like there are more games with TB than RTwP.
    I guess it's an example of how one's perception can be misleading if they prefer one thing over another.

So, what is there with TB combat:

Betrayal at Krondor/Antara
    Wizardry series
    Might and Magic series
    Jagged Alliance series
    Pool of Radiance
    Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (it has both options, iirc)
    Silent Storm
    Fallout 1&2 (also Fallout Tactics, but it a more of a tactical wargame, then an rpg)
    ToEE
    X-Com (basically both original UFO/X-Com games, excluding #3 which had optional RTwP)
    Banner Saga series
    Shadowrun series
    Divinity: OS 1&2

And with RTwP we have:

Infinity Engine games (BGs, IWDs)
    DA: Origins (I won't list the pos sequels to not tarnish this great game)
    PoE 1&2
    Tyranny
    KotOR 1&2 - but combat in KOTORs, while seems to be RTwP, actually has time-framed turns.
    It uses d20 core system and there are such things as BAB and number of attacks per round.
    What makes it look like RT is non stop animations when characters wave their lightsabers and shoot blasters constantly, but not make actual
    attack rolls until next turn.

What have I missed?

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast