How does initiative work in the crpg?

Hello everyone,

I know how initiative works normally but not in the crpg. For example, i run to an enemy and start melee combat. Do I then always attack last if i lost my initiative roll against the opponent? Or am I missing something?

Thanks. :)

Quote Originally Posted by vinkjohan@gmail.com View Post
    Hello everyone,

I know how initiative works normally but not in the crpg. For example, i run to an enemy and start melee combat. Do I then always attack last if i lost my initiative roll against the opponent? Or am I missing something?

Thanks. :)
    It works pretty normally in the alpha so far.

From what I've seen on youtube videos, the game works pretty much like Neverwinter nights (this is a compliment, mind you).

Sometimes I've seen that every character and enemy has a small counter that counts down from 6, and when it reaches 0, the creatures perform their chosen action. It must be an opt-in feature (I know I'm keeping it on once I start playing the game). This is really cool, actually. Also, from what I gather, that "6" doesn't refer to seconds, since I've read that the "turns" in the game are 3 seconds long.

I just noticed it, the turn timer in the beginning gets shorter the higher the initiative roll is.

/Does/ initiative work?

I've got an archery focused ranger with Improved Initiative. With a +3 for Dex, rolling a 6 shouldn't be possible. More troubling, however, was seeing the I had the highest initiative roll (different encounter), and as I'm taking my first shot, I'm provoking an attack of opportunity, because the bandits who had ~20 less initiative moved up to me before I could shoot.

So I'm wondering, does initiative actually work? Is it implemented?

Otherwise, aside from the difficulty and super-frequent enemy crits, loving this so far!