Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Auto-pause has been requested many times by Alpha testers (including myself) and I am hoping it will come with the Beta along with other UI improvements. Currently UI still feels heavily under construction, but there have been glimpses of some intensive work on it going on behind the scenes.

Auto-pause is something that the devs have confirmed working on. It will pause after each character's turn in combat and you woll be able to turn it off if you wish.

I am not 100% sure where to put it but I guess devs (atleast Berserk Kitten) will find it here and might consider it:

You are not onlyone who complain bit (or more) for random encounters. How they start to feel "more like work" then play.

I feel it is great that they take them pretty much 100% from rules but there is one thing what I was thinking yesterday in sauna, how to improve and make them more fun without having too much work.

So:
    1: Now you can have "normal" encounter, where you are ambushed and have to defend youself. (You walk in a road/wilderness and get attacked)
    2: You might have option to avoid encounter or rush into it if you feel so, if your stats are high enough.
    3: When your skills get better you have option (I hope in the future) to find out roughly what kind of enemies (and how many) you will encounter BEFORE you get option to either avoid them or move to encounter.

What I suggest is: one more option where you can choose to ambush that encounter you discovered.
    How it would work in this computer game:
    - You get option to choose
    4: ambush => game load that normal encounter map and you have certain amount of time (like 2 minute, naturally you can pause the game and think if you want to) OR you just choose where to put your companions and PC, maybe where yo put your cart (if you have one with you) and where to place your traps and press button to let game know you are ready and encounter can come. Then these you encounter will arrive from one end => move to the other end and disappear. IF they either: spot your party member OR get attacked from your party come combat phase. In combat phase everything work like in "normal" encounter would. When they discover party they react as they would be in first option allso (if they are hostile they attack and so on)

So basicly most (not all) random encounters can be done like that. It allso give option for more.. ..well, evil party/later baron to attack even trade caravans / embassy / your own soldiers and so on (what naturally might and most likely will effect negatively your trade / other factions / your own troop morale and so on but hey, it is your choise)

So if we think of "normal" random encounter where you (in bit later level) encounter some bandits. Well, this will be like that, if player so choose he can put his party members where he want to (if they can get there) using what equipments / "things" there are (traps, hills, forest, river, fallen logs and so on) then just wait for NPC's/mosnters/animals to arrive and react how they want to (unless they are spotted).

I assume this have been happen atleast some of your games this far (you are still playing P&P Kingmaker right?) so why not give a change to make ambush in computer game allso?
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"

Overall Game Feel

So, given all of this stuff I've been rambling on about, you probably have a general sense of what I think of the game as a whole already. But just to make sure this whole review is capped before the Beta starts I'm going to give you a general sense of my conclusions anyway.

So, I came to the kickstarter with pretty high expectations, I wanted an underlying system that felt like Pathfinder, interesting companions that drew me into their lives, a beautiful looking game, a fun game to play, great music, to be able to explore Golarion, and a narrative that keeps me interested.

Now, some of those you can't really judge from the Alpha, the companions aren't in their final states, I don't have access to their personal quests, the music and interfaces aren't finished, the narrative isn't completely written or wholly accessible because the Alpha finishes at chapter 3 (but due to a few interlocking bugs you can't really get much farther than chapter 2) and not all the spells and feats have been implemented.

Those are all problems that are (hopefully) exclusive to the Alpha and Beta, and most of them are caused by the fact that these things haven't been implemented yet rather than any problems with what has been implemented (or bugs, which is the purpose of an Alpha test to hunt).

I've already gone over Companions, Immersion in the setting, Kingdom Building, Adventuring, and combat, and I can't really go over what isn't there yet, and I don't want to spoil the narrative, so let's end this review by going over the last and possibly most important part of the game, how does it feel overall?

Kingmaker sucks you in. In it's current state it's half formed; there are entire underground dungeons that look like they're testing rooms in portal because the scenery isn't finished. There are bugs like Ekun's lovable dog spontaneously cloning itself for no reason (and then dying in combat and not being able to be revived), there are invisible murder ponies, and unpolished dialogue bits, and the Kingdom Building system is more of an outline of a sketch than a completed masterpiece so far. But despite all of those things, I still feel like I'm adventuring with my party across the world of Golarion. I'm still invested in these characters (some more than others, but very few people end up liking every companion in a game anyway). The underlying systems are complex, but simple enough to engage with. Combat is fun when it isn't a ridiculous amount of random encounters. The game is gorgeous. the music is... standard fantasy game fare, it's not super catchy and it doesn't have any absolutely amazing songs like Xenogears' Bonds of Sea and Fire, or Skyrim or Civ IV's opening themes, but it's not grating or distracting either. I can (and have) listened to it for over a hundred hours without it getting annoying.

Overall the game is not finished, and you feel that, there are definitely some places where the game needs work, but it draws you into playing it anyway. The game is fun. It has all the workings of a game that I will sink a completely inappropriate percentage of my free time into; and for an Alpha that's pretty damn great.

That's pretty much the long and the short of it. If you have any questions on specific parts of the game I didn't touch on, feel free to ask. If you're another Alpha player who wants to chime in with your own impressions, feel free to post them. Otherwise that's about it from me until the Beta.

Senior Member No One of Consequence's Avatar
    As for the "too many random encounters" problem, one solution would be to intimidate the bandits/kobolds/goblins away with a skill check on the encounter pop-up.
    Mechanically, the whole thing would go like this :

The game checks for an encounter, it tells you :

You have spotted a group of bandits. What do you want to do :
    1- Avoid them (Survival check)
    2- Fight them (Self-explanatory)
    3- Order them to leave and never come back (Intimidate check)

Quote Originally Posted by No One of Consequence View Post
    As for the "too many random encounters" problem, one solution would be to intimidate the bandits/kobolds/goblins away with a skill check on the encounter pop-up.
    Mechanically, the whole thing would go like this :

The game checks for an encounter, it tells you :

You have spotted a group of bandits. What do you want to do :
    1- Avoid them (Survival check)
    2- Fight them (Self-explanatory)
    3- Order them to leave and never come back (Intimidate check)
    There actually is a Pop-up, if you have a character with high enough survival (I think It's survival, might be stealth) you can avoid them. But the pop ups are still sort of tedious. And they only pop up if you have a high enough skill value.

Senior Member No One of Consequence's Avatar
    I know there's a pop-up, I wanted to add the Intimidate/Persuade option to it. ;)

Edit : One thing that I hope will be implemented is that random encounters probability varies depending on whether your kingdom becomes more and more secure and safe, or on the contrary if you neglect its safety (never send patrols).
    Last edited by No One of Consequence; 03-11-2018 at 01:24 AM.

Another thing that could make the random encounters slightly more interesting is making the more then combat and meeting a random stranger. Throw in the occasional puzzle, or random loot object. Anything more to do on the map, even after combat is resolved would add some more value to the encounters. However, with the current level of frequency event that would get old eventually.

Yet another thing they could do would be to have the game keep track of how many of a particular encounter type you have had in a region, and "depopulate" the local supply of that monster over time. So, maybe the Narlmarches only has 30 bandits roaming it... once you've killed that many bandits in random encounters, that option drops off the random encounter table. If you've emptied the entire wandering monster table, then you don't get any more encounters in that region.

You could have periodic replenishment of the monster populations, so you never completely tame the land until your kingdom expands enough to claim and settle that territory.

Thanks for all of the work on writing this up Stratagemini! When you have some time I do have a few questions for you.

First, if you've found time to mess around with various classes, do you have any major impressions on them yet? Do any classes feel underdeveloped or overpowered, and how does the game do so far at making similar classes, such as wizard and sorcerer, feel different?

Second, are there any major differences in using different weapons? Do I have a reason to pick between a longsword and a morningstar, and are there weapons like halberds that grant reach?

Lastly, I know that there has been some footage of the quest where you recruit Jubilost that shows how is approaching the sort of skill-challenge thing that Pillars of Eternity did, with the storybook style and the option of several different skill checks to influence the event. Have you found any other examples like that in Kingmaker so far, and how have they felt?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast