Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by davross View Post
    Having used an unusual weapon for most of my alpha play, I wholly agree with the sentiment - being "stuck" with your original weapon for most of the game kinda sucked. But it feels like instituting a craft / enchanting system would be simpler to do than adjustable loot generation, and has the added benefit of adding an enchantment system
    I would also prefer that also because a crafting or enchanting type system (or even a transmogrification system) would also be something that people can actually do...it adds an activity in the game rather than relying on just loot tables.

My suggestion in this regard: do *not* specially tailor the loot - but instead have artisans/crafters/smiths/enchanters that can apply the transformative quality to items. Basically simply allow PCs to pick items they acquired and "remaster" them into the desired type of weapon/armor/etc.

I agree with a Weapon Focus, Weapon Specialization, or Improved Critical. But apart from those, I wouldn't want any system incorrectly guessing what equipment I want.
    Can I tell that system that it's giving me the wrong stuff?
    What if I'm an evoker wizard? I want everything but evocation scrolls and potions.
    Or a skill rogue (scout) focusing on short-ranged sneak attacks for Dispelling Attack?
    Or a Cleric who's focusing on healing?
    Or a Battle Oracle who starts with reach weapons then switches to quick-draw shield and mace if the battle turns?
    (Edit: /\ Just listing the last handful of characters that I've played that would break this system)

Sorry if I come on too strong with these descriptions of ways that a system could break, I kind of do that for a living :P. I can just see a crafting system, a well-stocked market system (with the relative loot values to support it), or a transformative rework system (as suggested above) would be significantly easier to implement than a predictive loot system.
    Last edited by Grifta; 01-29-2018 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Removed doubled word.

I think it would help at some way if there would be list of most common magical weapons / armours you will find during the game and ALLSO list of these rare weapons which are in Pathfinder manuals but either will not be in the game (like maybe sword cane etc) or are just extremely rare.

Second thing what might help is to make your companions use multiple weapons. I mean that even if we know that "medium armours, short, long and great swords + short bows will be most common in the game magical or nonmagical" (something I just made up, so do not take that as an statement) we would still try to make different party members pick different weapons. Allso I guess we might consider waiting a bit before choose to specialize for one certain weapon (let's say kukri) because we find one +1 version early on the game. OR atleast not let every single person who can choose just that weapon as they chosen one.

It might be good idea to try and get (in long run) 2 main weapon set for each member and one "extra" for either melee or ranged (based on type they use only if need to). That way you can easier see what magic weapons/shields you get, try them out a bit and as you look below have easier time to wait "for a little bit of time".

Naturally I would still try to wait bit longer (to see if you find "good enough" items or if you find something what you might want to use more) before use multiple points for example in druid for sling and dual shield specialization (using shield + sling as long range and dual shields for melee with certain feats). After all if you can in theory do something that do not mean it will be effective. By "bit longer" I mean around time when you have found all your companions or so in first run.

But one thing is: if and when you are baron, there most likely is a way to get pretty much ANY weapon, atleast masterwork, most likely +1 or so if you really want to. After all you have around 5 year of time and recources. So it should not be totally impossible (if developers just want to) make option to use big amount of cash (let's say 20 000 gold) and start asking for traders passing by if they happen to find let's say exotic fighting fan of magical qualities (+1)
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"

Without wanting to go too far into it because I don't know Pathfinder as much, but in D&D there was also a link to your deity and weapons of choice. This could be an element that is used to give you easier access to certain weapon types via temples of your deity for example or maybe divine schematics for crafting etc.

But all in all I think it makes more sense to let the decision with the player based on their character than trying to let the loot system figure out what it should drop for your specific variation. Considering how many variations are possible especially. So yeah I really think that for example being able to transmogrify a weapon you got from loot into a weapon type of your choice (at a cost) makes the most sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Z'ha'dum View Post
    Without wanting to go too far into it because I don't know Pathfinder as much, but in D&D there was also a link to your deity and weapons of choice. This could be an element that is used to give you easier access to certain weapon types via temples of your deity for example or maybe divine schematics for crafting etc..
    Indeed Pathfinder has favored weapons for deities - it would certainly make sense that places of worship to a particular deity would also have weapons of that type available.

Well as a fan of melee types who wield 2 handed weapons - typically a Large Bastard Sword, does this mean my only option would be to "steal" Amiri's sword or will oversized weapons be catered for as well? I'd love crafting to be in the game but we know that it. A crafting system would of been the preferable as that way you can make the equipment you want if it isn't found in game - ala ToEE/NWN2.

Quote Originally Posted by Gellor View Post
    Well as a fan of melee types who wield 2 handed weapons - typically a Large Bastard Sword, does this mean my only option would be to "steal" Amiri's sword or will oversized weapons be catered for as well? I'd love crafting to be in the game but we know that it. A crafting system would of been the preferable as that way you can make the equipment you want if it isn't found in game - ala ToEE/NWN2.
    I know that atleast in alpha there are other magical 2-hand weapons then Amiri's own. I highly doubt that developers would take them away for beta or ready version.
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"

@Z'ha'dum; For clarity, Pathfinder doesn't have a schematic system. Basically if you have enough knowledge (skill points) you can make, or try to make, basically anything. Even the creation requirements (specific race, class, alignment, etc.) only make the items harder to make rather than impossible.

Diety's favourite weapon would be a cool idea to add some flavour, like your character was meant to go on this adventure. My only concern with that, is that there are lots of reasons to pick a deity other than the weapon (domains for example). Desna is a classic one having arguably the best domain choices (please don't argue this point here :P) but her weapon is the Starknife. It's an amazing weapon for a very specific type of character, but completely useless for everyone else.

During the Kickstarter campaign, I had sent a message to BeserkerKitten about if it was possible to direct the artisan toward crafting certain types of objects. He answered it was still in concept, maybe it changed since then.
    What do you call a dragon who ate a bunch of adventurers? A party-pooper!
    If you Awaken a chicken, is it speaking fowl language?
    What do you say when a treefolk betrays you? Tree-son!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast