Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Other languages

Quote Originally Posted by Berserkerkitten View Post
    And yeah, some folks have offered to handle free fan translations, but handing out the entire game script before release and on blind faith seems awfully risky, no?
    That's why fan translations are typically tackled after release, not while a game is still in development. Usually they remain as separate and entirely optional downloads. Thus them being fan patches. In some cases developers later patch them into the official builds via updates. With the permission of said fan translators of course. That way there should be neither risks nor monetary losses for Owlcat Games. Win win.

Just sayin' the market is bigger then one would think.

Gonna play in English anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamigoroshi View Post
    That's why fan translations are typically tackled after release, not while a game is still in development. Usually they remain as separate and entirely optional downloads. Thus them being fan patches. In some cases developers later patch them into the official builds via updates. With the permission of said fan translators of course. That way there should be neither risks nor monetary losses for Owlcat Games. Win win.
    Yeah, that's what Beamdog did with Enhanced Editions.
    It would be of small avail to talk of magic in the air...

Community Manager Berserkerkitten's Avatar
    Yeah, post-release is something else entirely.
    Ye cannae touch this! - Clan McHammer

Quote Originally Posted by Messier-31 View Post
    Just sayin' the market is bigger then one would think.

Gonna play in English anyway.

Yeah, that's what Beamdog did with Enhanced Editions.
    That brings up an important point. Beamdog can't do an enhanced edition of Icewind Dale 2 because no one has a copy the un-compiled code. I hope that Owlcat keeps better track of the uncompiled code for this game than Black Isle (I'm pretty sure it was Black Isle) did.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratagemini View Post
    That brings up an important point. Beamdog can't do an enhanced edition of Icewind Dale 2 because no one has a copy the un-compiled code. I hope that Owlcat keeps better track of the uncompiled code for this game than Black Isle (I'm pretty sure it was Black Isle) did.
    Agreed. But Owlcat Games shouldn't just backup the source code of Pathfinder: Kingmaker. But its source art and source sound as well. No one knows how things will take a turn in another 15 years or so. Recently many developers decided to enhance their older games. Larian studio being another example. So it's not far fetched for Owlcat Games to release an Pathfinder: Kingmaker: Enhanced Edition at some point as well. Better double and trible backup everything for days to come. Both digital and on physical mediums. I cannot stress this enough. :p

I would like to know why in the streach goals there are no localizations ???? Would not it all be easier ???

In the FAQ this was specified.

However, the release of amateurish translation takes a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Shun View Post
    I would like to know why in the streach goals there are no localizations ???? Would not it all be easier ???

In the FAQ this was specified.

However, the release of amateurish translation takes a long time.
    In a game with More than 10 novels worth of texts and additional voice-over? Localization is possibly the most costly thing you can do.
    Lets assume an English to Spanish translator costs $20 per hour to hire (which is on the low side in terms of cost). And lets assume you can find a professional translator with a background in Pathfinder/RPGs for that (really low) cost so that you don't get fatal and confusing errors in translation that make the game somewhat unplayable. You don't have the game script fully written out yet, (and probably won't have it in a mostly workable state until the Beta in February). To get the translation ready for release in August, starting in February you'll need a team of probably between 5-10 translators who work full time. There are 142 workdays in that period of time, assuming no overtime (which is unreasonable) and no weekends worked (which is even more unreasonable), that means it costs $22,720 a person to translate, so total cost is somewhere between $113,600 and $227,200 assuming everything goes perfectly.

That's an entire stretch goal right there, if not two. Now, costs might go down for doing the work in Russia (because of cheaper labor costs) but it also might go up (because English to Spanish translators are not as common in Russia as they are in the US or in Spanish-speaking countries).

Localization takes a LONG time and a lot of money. So instead of that (which only benefits a portion of the population that speaks those languages) they elected to add features that everyone playing the game would enjoy in order to rally backers to contribute more and to pull in more backers. Localization is usually a late game stretch goal in any video game campaign, and we just didn't get to it. Instead you get the initial languages promised (which are probably the cheapest for them to source in Russia, and might even have people able to do the translations in-house working at My.com already).

I hope that explains things for you.
    Last edited by Stratagemini; 07-21-2017 at 05:09 PM.

I'm Spanish, and I'd like to see the game in Spanish. After saying this and as a programmer, I could say that I don't have hope to see the game in Spanish.There aren't enough buyers to be feasible by the company and the only way it could be is through the community and for this you need a game ready to be easily translated and a big community.

I've seen too many community translated games to Spanish which aren't playable because they don't have enough people to make it consistent and with a good quality.

On the other hand, I have also seen games translated by the community with high quality and, as said before, they have a very very nice community and help from developers.

Torment: Tides of Numenera reportedly had 1.2 million words they had to localize in multiple languages. There's no way language-specific sales offset localization in all of those cases. They definitely lost money localizing it for some markets.

Quote Originally Posted by Messier-31 View Post
    What about a Polish translation?

Poland has loads of cRPG fans, and most of these localized games here are cult classics: Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, Planescape Torment, Pillars of Eternity...

Pathfinder is not so known around these parts, but surely the game will gather attention because of abovementioned titles.
    I agree. I know english but not so good to get 100% joy from the game, so I am waiting for the confirmation of the Polish translation.
    I hope you will follow the same path to Larian Studios, Divinity: Orginal Sin 2 also did not have a Polish translation on the day of the premiere, but after some time it was fixed.
    Polish fans are waiting for Pathfraider: Kingmaker in their native language.
    Good luck for the whole team :-)
    Last edited by Dan80; 06-01-2018 at 08:55 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast