Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A lot of spam here... and using email addresses as user names?

It took me over half an hour to find how I could change my user name... and the amount of spam here is amazing - makes me question what kind of company owlcat games are when they don't even bother to do anything about stopping and deleting the spam, should I bother buying this game? Is it a real company?

This forum doesn't inspire much confidence

Well I see it this way:
    - They are small team and made kind of miracle this far (looking for alpha build). They have only certain amount of money to spend and they choose to use working (main core is) homeplage, this board and online shop which have some problems instead of spending money for few people who work for them and keep this and other pages working OK and keep answering all the questions + moderating this board. That money they spend to the game.

Should they use, let's say 100 000 of these kickstart money for hiring extra people just taking care of this forum and other platforms? I agree that these spambots are iritating but I still think no. They should not. If (and I hope when) this game hit gold and in a year or so on we can see sell amount they can consider getting one extra person who take care of these things while they (hopefully) make another kickstart for next Pathfinder adventure path game.
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"

Yes, I think they should spend as much money and resources on the game, but how hard is it to install a forum with spam filters and one that offers the chance on registration of providing a user name so that the spam bots coming here don't nick a load of valid email addresses - they even get index by google.

Quote Originally Posted by PingCrosby View Post
    how hard is it to install a forum with spam filters and one that offers the chance on registration of providing a user name so that the spam bots coming here don't nick a load of valid email addresses - they even get index by google.
    I honestly do not know. I used in 90's more or less basic HTML to make home pages so you have to tell me. How easy or hard is it? I do remember it was kind of time taking to remember things like Ä is Ä, mail to was used to create an e-mail link and so on but back in my time there was not option to create spam filter. Now when you code it how many row of code it take to make and what language (I assume it is not possible using pure HTLM only)?
    I personally used DOS edit command to edit and make HTML pages so I just have to trust your word if you say that it is something what now days are teached in school or are done in few hours?

Edit: (kind of long so I try to put this in spoiler)
    Spoiler:
    Last edited by Pathfinder; 02-09-2018 at 10:13 AM.
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"

Community Manager Berserkerkitten's Avatar
    We don't have a dedicated forum admin or web designer. All resources go into the creation of our game. I'm deleting several dozen (!) spam bots every single day, every night, every weekend. But I have to sleep at some point.

I'm as unhappy with the spam as the rest of you and believe me when I say I don't enjoy interrupting everything I do every hour or so to keep murdering those stupid bots. At the same time, the fine gentleman who's taking care of our forum settings and security is also our head of QA. As you may know, we've been testing our 2nd alpha build for a while now and it's full steam ahead for the first beta build, so I'm trying to avoid interrupting his work on the game. It's not easy to prioritise these things when you're a relatively small team.

It's not ideal. We're doing the best we can. As for the "kind of company" we are, we're the kind of company that has to turn to Kickstarter in order to create a game. We're doing the best we can with what we have. ♥
    Last edited by Berserkerkitten; 02-09-2018 at 12:16 PM.
    http://nutiminn.is/kattarshians/

Quote Originally Posted by Berserkerkitten View Post
    We don't have a dedicated forum admin or web designer. All resources go into the creation of our game. I'm deleting several dozen (!) spam bots every single day, every night, every weekend. But I have to sleep at some point.
    Got to learn that timestop spell

Quote Originally Posted by Naliamegod View Post
    Got to learn that timestop spell
    That would be extremely helpful right now. :D

How do you change the user name?

Quote Originally Posted by emnjomo@gmail.com View Post
    How do you change the user name?
    https://owlcatgames.com/forums/profi...do=editprofile

In other news, we've changed the forums so new users can no longer post on here unless I manually grant them permission first.
    http://nutiminn.is/kattarshians/

Quote Originally Posted by Berserkerkitten View Post
    https://owlcatgames.com/forums/profi...do=editprofile

In other news, we've changed the forums so new users can no longer post on here unless I manually grant them permission first.
    It says I don't have permission. Could you give me that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast