Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Community Manager Berserkerkitten's Avatar

Venture-Captain NPC - Ideas needed!

Hey guys!

Here's the announcement many of you have been waiting for: You will be able to create custom companions in Pathfinder: Kingmaker, if you so desire!

PLEASE NOTE: This feature will be in the release version of the game, but there might not be enough time to include it in the beta.

Custom companions will be generated and hired via a special NPC. Our Lead Narrative Designer Alexander Komzolov is looking for some ideas on who this NPC is going to be, exactly. Let me quote him:

We found ourselves in need of an additional NPC for our game – a Pathfinder Society traveling venture-captain. We are going to use this NPC to grant access to the Custom Companion feature, which’d allow players to create their own companions for the party. These companions would not have any quests, banters, etc, but allow players to have a full control of their party.
    [...]
    This NPC will be used as a minor figure in a certain quest somewhere mid-game. We are planning to have a dialogue with this character with an opportunity to ask who they are, and how they got here (assuming they are a loyal PFS member). We don’t plan for this dialogue to be anything major. Mostly, the NPC will be just standing conveniently and providing their function.
    The NPC won't get any voiceover or a portrait, but it would be nice if he had a bit of a background story. Again, nothing over the top. First and foremost, he's providing a service. So, if you have any ideas on who our venture-captain might be and you'd like to help us flesh him or her out a bit, feel free to post your ideas and suggestions in this thread. Help give our writers some ideas, so they can stick a nice line of text or two in there for the NPC to say. And if you don't have any ideas, let's rejoice in the fact that custom companions will be available to those of us, who have been asking for them. Whee! :)
    Last edited by Berserkerkitten; 03-07-2018 at 03:05 PM.
    Ye cannae touch this! - Clan McHammer

Can we make the NPC a female gnome? I don't recall any existing in the Alpha, and I'd like more gnomes in general since the one we have seems to have dyed his hair a boring color for the same reason that he still wears glasses (to relate to the masses).

As for her backstory, Well, if she's a PFS Venture-Captain... presumably she's running a lodge. There's a lot of old battles in the Stolen Lands, which means there's a lot of stuff to discover! I assume that she ended up in the Stolen Lands because she has an interest in the First World, and sometimes the barriers between the First World and this one wear thin in wild places like the Stolen Lands.

I'd like to echo Strategemini's idea - a female gnome could add some cool diversity (and like he said, there don't seem to be any present in the alpha). The First World interest ties well into the overarching story of the campaign. If there's any room for expanding her character, maybe she gets to be the one who reports the events of the story back to the Grand Lodge in Absalom?

It was mentioned they'd be found "mid-game". What does this mean precisely? While I'm certain many will be overjoyed to gain access to custom companions, I can see some frustration if there's a limit that this feature cannot be accessed until level 8 or 9 or even further.

Quote Originally Posted by nargemn@gmail.com View Post
    It was mentioned they'd be found "mid-game". What does this mean precisely? While I'm certain many will be overjoyed to gain access to custom companions, I can see some frustration if there's a limit that this feature cannot be accessed until level 8 or 9 or even further.
    When and where did you see that? It wouldn't make a lot of sense to offer people the possibility to create custom party members, then force them to wait until they're halfway through the game.

This NPC will be used as a minor figure in a certain quest somewhere mid-game
    Right in the middle of the quote you linked in the first post Berserker :)

Quote Originally Posted by nargemn@gmail.com View Post
    Right in the middle of the quote you linked in the first post Berserker :)
    Hahaha!
    Wow, I didn't even notice. I'm so sorry! :D

I'll ask the guys to clarify when I talk to them tomorrow, but I'm 100% sure they'll let us create our custom companions from the very beginning, because it wouldn't make much sense otherwise. I'll let you know when I hear more. :)

Awesome! Is today like the official Pathfinder good news day or something?
    That said, I do have a problem with this idea, and it's this: PFS members are non-evil. So technically it would be hard to justify a venture-captain lending Society agents to further an evil Baron's agenda.

A solution seems to lie on the surface: make not one, but two NPCs! Let the Stolen Lands be the backdrop of the power struggle between PFS and the nefarious Aspis Consortium, both trying to outmaneuver each other as they follow up on rumors of an artifact purportedly lost by Choral the Conqueror during his retreat into the depth of the Gronzi forest! Will one of them succeed with Baron's aid, or will the crafty Baron use their trust to further his or her own goals?

If this idea is too far out of scope, then perhaps the Venture-Captain in question can be desperate - indebted to the king of Pitax after a botched operation maybe? So that temporarily associating with evil forces for the greater good is her only hope of staying alive and in the Decemvirate's favor.

Customisable to which extent? Does that include things like race, gender and class or what are we talking about?

Depending on what exactly can be customised it could have an accompanying background. For example it could be about some sort of shape-shifter or some magical experiment gone wrong where you find out how to finish it correctly and you can add the final touches before completing it with some adaptations.

Those would be a couple of rough ideas, but it depends a lot on what "customisable" really means here.

Thanks for the input so far, everyone. Some good thoughs and ideas there, can't wait to see what the devs are gonna say! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Z'ha'dum View Post
    Customisable to which extent? Does that include things like race, gender and class or what are we talking about?
    Well, yeah. The way I understand it, you'll get to create these custom characters pretty much the same way you create your main character.

If I can choose their race, class and gender then I know I am SO going to love this! I hope they can put in some basic voices for it so that we can here them shouting/laughing/etc even if they have no further banter or anything.

And maybe add in some silly banter for the other NPCs that poke fun at just how quiet this Venture-Captain is XD

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast