Transmogrification?

Looking good is important for RPG characters, but anyone that played WoW back during Burning Crusade knows what happens when you get a mish-mash of random gear that has awesome stats but makes it look like a rainbow threw up on you.

So, how is this game going to handle that?

1) Embrace the Rainbow.
    Nothing done about it at all. Different gear looks the way it looks, and you're just gonna have to live with it.

2) Colorblind
    There is no upgraded visuals on characters. You make 'em look the way you want at creation, and then whatever you get later is a stat stick only, you always look the same.

3) Diablo II rulz!
    Each class will have it's own set of looks that will upgrade based on preset things (like levels), so your character will look more powerful as you level up, but it'll always be in premade looks. Like how Ancient Armor in Diablo II looked totally different on a Necromancer compared to an Amazon.

4) Just the Tip
    Only the base armor will affect looks, and each set of armor will have it's own graphics. All the cloaks and boots and gloves simply won't show.

5) WoW it Up
    Full on Transmogrification. Make any piece look like any other piece. Hell, throw in some dyes and make dressing up your paper doll be a mini-game in it's own right.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Think this update is what you're looking for. Which I guess means you're looking at option 3 here primarily.

That being said, I love aesthetics, and would love some ability to customize or set specific outfits in spite of gear (not to make a platemail clad fighter look like they're wearing leather, but to perhaps color the platemail).

Quote Originally Posted by Victus_Shanks View Post
    Think this update is what you're looking for. Which I guess means you're looking at option 3 here primarily.

That being said, I love aesthetics, and would love some ability to customize or set specific outfits in spite of gear (not to make a platemail clad fighter look like they're wearing leather, but to perhaps color the platemail).
    Actually, It seems more like Diablo III than Diablo 2. Since all clothing and items worn will be represented on the character as those items.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratagemini View Post
    Actually, It seems more like Diablo III than Diablo 2. Since all clothing and items worn will be represented on the character as those items.
    All Diablo games had different lvels of armour per class.
    Diablo 1 had a full outfit for light, medium and heavy armour
    2 had the same, but with interchangeable party. Ancient armour had heavy chest and one of the shoulders for instance as well as legs (I think)
    3 has every piece have a unique look per class too, but even the inventory slot icon changes per class.

I wouldnt call these Transmogrify however, which is another thing in diablo 3 making any item look like another for the same slot type :P

My problems with WoW were the unicorn vomit colour schemes on different items, and the ridiculous shoulder pads. o.0

Neverwinter Nights had a really nice transmogrify option through craft that you could edit how anything looked yourself (dont know what they called it) .

Yup, looks like #3-4 it is. Each armor set will change your entire appearance, minus a few tidbits.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Personally I'm not fond of transmogrification.

There is something right about equipping disparate items and then looking like a Christmas tree.

And it incentivises players to seek out matching gear if they want to look suave.

Quote Originally Posted by HenriHakl View Post
    Personally I'm not fond of transmogrification.

There is something right about equipping disparate items and then looking like a Christmas tree.

And it incentivises players to seek out matching gear if they want to look suave.
    Pathfinder characters look like "golf bags full of weapons." I really hope that they manage to make even the disparate gear look neat. No need to transmogrify it at all.

I'm just hoping for golf bag and suit options. That is your adventuring gear is a mishmash of what works to keep you alive but when you're in court you can buy/wear cosmetic gear to look like a ruler. Whether your ruler is wearing a frilly, pink dress with lots of gems and precious metals, a shimmery magical gown (like Elsa has in frozen) or rough furs and animal teeth. It could even be focused around diplomatic relations with various items giving bonuses to intimidation, diplomacy, charisma and the like when dealing with foreign dignatries or a bonus to kingdom rolls.