Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild Shape

Wild Shape

As a player whose go-to class in every RPG possible is druid, I have one question. How will Wild Shape (and Beast Shape for that matter) function in this CRPG? According to the Pathfinder rule set, the "options for new forms include all creatures with the animal type." The list of available animals in the Pathfinder universe is very large and would take a massive amount of work to implement to completion, so it's entirely understandable that we will only have a small subset available in the game. Does anyone (or the developers if they see this) have any idea what animals will be available to us? Also, how will we be able to use their abilities to our advantage? For example, using a bird's ability to fly overhead or a mole's burrowing to scout out an area. I know that combat maneuvers are already being discussed in another thread, but I'm also curious about what animals with special attacks we will be able to use as well. I.e. a rhino and its powerful charge attack. One of my favorite parts of playing a druid is the opportunity to use my creativity and ingenuity with animal shapes to give my party an advantage. I really hope to see that translated from the tabletop to the PC in some fashion.

I'm assuming flight in combat will functionally be a teleport, while out of combat may end up removing the fog of war over an area.

This is of course assuming a flight shape is allowed.

My guess is we'll be allowed to transform in whatever animal is present. It will also mean birds are of limits since flying isn't in the game.
    What do you call a dragon who ate a bunch of adventurers? A party-pooper!
    If you Awaken a chicken, is it speaking fowl language?
    What do you say when a treefolk betrays you? Tree-son!

Quote Originally Posted by ForestDew View Post
    My guess is we'll be allowed to transform in whatever animal is present. It will also mean birds are of limits since flying isn't in the game.
    Very good point. If they already programmed the models and mechanics, why not let us use them? However, I'd like to hope that we will get a few extra options as well. I've never played through the Kingmaker campaign yet in person, but I'm guessing rhinos (like I mentioned above) might not be naturally occurring in the regions we've seen in the demos. What are some of the animal shapes you guys like to use?
    Last edited by Dragao_Preto; 09-01-2017 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragao_Preto View Post
    What are some of the animal shapes you guys like to use?
    Definetly wolf, I used to create in Neverwinter Nights wolf pack in my druid (summon wolf + wolf companion + shifting into wolf form) so I would think that it might even confuse some enemies (after all if you see let's say 3-5 wolf just hanging around you most likely do not expect them to be summoned + companion and high level druid :)

Allso badger is one, eagle or hawk even crow if possible. Bear naturally, maybe moose or deer, cougar can climb tree easier not to mention some snakes? If we think of mountain then goat might be usefull form to use, monkey, baboon and so on.
    There are lakes & rivers so that give plenty of more possible animals just not sure how much travelling across / diving into the lake / river we have. Anyway octopus would be cool.

But wolf or dog is really something what I can see most people (well druid) to use, will be in the game (most likely even as companion / summon) and might be "easy" to mix into the enemy ranks and scout things or fetch (steal) something without being notised.
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"

Quote Originally Posted by ForestDew View Post
    They did mention having a benefit for class features that give you wings, like the Draconic Sorceror Bloodline.
    Last edited by Stratagemini; 09-02-2017 at 03:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratagemini View Post
    Teh did mention having a benefit for class features that give you wings, like the Draconic Sorceror Bloodline.
    Stratagemini, have you heard any specifics? Or is it still too early in development to tell? Since it sounds like actual "take-off" flying won't be implemented in the game, I'm wondering if any benefits accrued outweigh being a tiny bird that monsters can swat around like a fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
    But wolf or dog is really something what I can see most people (well druid) to use, will be in the game (most likely even as companion / summon) and might be "easy" to mix into the enemy ranks and scout things or fetch (steal) something without being notised.
    I like the way you think, Pathfinder. I think one of the best things I've pulled off is a "Bear Bomb." Fly overhead as a thrush or other really small bird, dive bomb towards intended target, shift into a Grizzly Bear at the last moment. Gotta love that element of surprise, lol.
    Last edited by Dragao_Preto; 09-01-2017 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragao_Preto View Post
    Stratagemini, have you heard any specifics? Or is it still too early in development to tell? Since it sounds like actual "take-off" flying won't be implemented in the game, I'm wondering if any benefits accrued outweigh being a tiny bird that monsters can swat around like a fly.

I like the way you think, Pathfinder. I think one of the best things I've pulled off is a "Bear Bomb." Fly overhead as a thrush or other really small bird, dive bomb towards intended target, shift into a Grizzly Bear at the last moment. Gotta love that element of surprise, lol.
    From the information thread:
    -Wings will be in the system, and they will do something cool "we instead may, for example, give a sorcerer an ability to create strong winds and push the enemies away with a flap of his wings or will allow him to reposition himself on the battlefield by flying up and landing elsewhere."
    That's from one of the AMA's I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
    Definetly wolf, I used to create in Neverwinter Nights wolf pack in my druid (summon wolf + wolf companion + shifting into wolf form) so I would think that it might even confuse some enemies (after all if you see let's say 3-5 wolf just hanging around you most likely do not expect them to be summoned + companion and high level druid :)

Allso badger is one, eagle or hawk even crow if possible. Bear naturally, maybe moose or deer, cougar can climb tree easier not to mention some snakes? If we think of mountain then goat might be usefull form to use, monkey, baboon and so on.
    There are lakes & rivers so that give plenty of more possible animals just not sure how much travelling across / diving into the lake / river we have. Anyway octopus would be cool.

I thinks it's a safe bet that most of the form of most(if not all) animal companions from the core rulebook will be present.
    What do you call a dragon who ate a bunch of adventurers? A party-pooper!
    If you Awaken a chicken, is it speaking fowl language?
    What do you say when a treefolk betrays you? Tree-son!

Quote Originally Posted by Stratagemini View Post
    That's from one of the AMA's I believe.
    Stratagemini, have you seen anything about swimming or climbing? These are both base character skills that can been greatly increased by switching to certain animal forms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast