Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Origins of Pathfinder: Kingmaker the CRPG

For anyone interested I had no idea of the awesome background and history of where this CRPG came from.

Edit: The below link has spoilers. Just wanted to clarify that.

http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Kin...dventure_path)

I have not played PnP since AD&D Second Edition and everyone always tells me that Pathfinder would be my fit if I picked it up again. The more I learn about this game the more excited I am!
    Last edited by Argantis; 04-14-2018 at 06:40 PM.

Pathfinder is a sexy system ^_^

If you like the system they are using here, you will like pathfinder.

quite a few people didn't like where the D&D rule set was going after 3.5, so they created pathfinder... it is interesting. it blew me away when i first saw it on the the book shelf and was amazed that there wasn't (at least to my knowledge) some type of law suit.

Quote Originally Posted by nitox@att.net View Post
    quite a few people didn't like where the D&D rule set was going after 3.5, so they created pathfinder... it is interesting. it blew me away when i first saw it on the the book shelf and was amazed that there wasn't (at least to my knowledge) some type of law suit.
    Note quite. The Paizo folks were busy developing Dungeon and Dragon magazine when suddenly WotC announced D&D 4E. While they were doing this under license, they could because of something known as the "Open Game License" or OGL developed by Ryan Dancy. This license basically allows you to use the rules wholesale (minus anything explicitly WotC property such as mind flayers or umber hulks) as long as you have about a half page long statement (you can find this statement in the cRPG under the "License" button).

After announcing D&D 4E, WotC did two things. First they cancelled Dungeon and Dragon magazine, which studdenly put Paizo in an interesting position. They had started Adventure Paths, but really were without a product. The subsequent announcement of the GSL (Game System License) as a replacement to the OGL (you have to forfeit your rights to the OGL if you agree to it) left Paizo in an even bigger conundrum.

That's when Jason Bulhman (lead developer at Paizo) came up to Lisa and said, "I have something for you to see". He had been developing a revision to 3.5 for years, and this was the opportunity for Paizo to continue making the game since the OGL (as long as you follow it) is in perpetuity. They came up with Pathfinder as a name (the actual little sheet with name options has been posted by Erik Mona and it's quite interesting) and they released to much fanfare after a year long beta test. This had absolutely nothing to do with "not liking where the rule set" went, but rather a simple financial need to keep the company afloat.

The rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by argantis View Post
    for anyone interested i had no idea of the awesome background and history of where this crpg came from.

http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/kin...dventure_path)

i have not played pnp since ad&d second edition and everyone always tells me that pathfinder would be my fit if i picked it up again. The more i learn about this game the more excited i am!
    warning: Mayor spoilers on this link

I haven't played D&D for a long time but I'm thinking about buying Pathfinder pnp now. Because of this game i read about it and I just love the Iconic characters and setting.

While I do support giving Paizo more money. They do post the entire core rule set on their website. If you like the game, I'd suggest spending your money on the other APs, or supplements that are full of delicious world lore and overly specialized feats and spells.

Free rule set
    Pathfinder Reference Document

Other adventure paths and modules
    Adventure paths - Check the reviews, but I've played through Rise of the Runelords (classic fantasy), Reign of Winter (high adventure and survival), and on the last session of Mummy's Mask (basically Egypt). Also about half-way through Jade Regent (travel and political intrigue).

Cool lore books filled with archetypes, feats and spells - NOTE: These are full of spoilers if you only want to be a player. Inner Sea Gods is probably the only player safe book. The other two give you detailed information about world events or characters that you probably shouldn't know about unless you're running the world.
    Inner Sea World Guide
    Inner Sea Gods
    Adventurer's Guide - Focuses on the organizations

Quote Originally Posted by Grifta View Post
    While I do support giving Paizo more money. They do post the entire core rule set on their website. If you like the game, I'd suggest spending your money on the other APs, or supplements that are full of delicious world lore and overly specialized feats and spells.

Free rule set
    Pathfinder Reference Document

Other adventure paths and modules
    Adventure paths - Check the reviews, but I've played through Rise of the Runelords (classic fantasy), Reign of Winter (high adventure and survival), and on the last session of Mummy's Mask (basically Egypt). Also about half-way through Jade Regent (travel and political intrigue).

Cool lore books filled with archetypes, feats and spells - NOTE: These are full of spoilers if you only want to be a player. Inner Sea Gods is probably the only player safe book. The other two give you detailed information about world events or characters that you probably shouldn't know about unless you're running the world.
    Inner Sea World Guide
    Inner Sea Gods
    Adventurer's Guide - Focuses on the organizations
    If you're going to play an AP? I recommend the Anniversary edition of Curse of the Crimson Throne. I should also note that Rise of The Runelords is a 3.5 adventure path unless you get the Anniversary Edition of that too. People I have played with lone Skull and Shackles (Pirates) and Hell's Rebels (run a rebellion against a nation ruled by Diabolists).

Ack! A link to the dreaded Wikia. That used to be the official Pathfinder wiki, but their constantly shifting policies, overwhelming ad content, and design restrictions led the team to move to a private server at http://pathfinderwiki.com back in 2010. Unfortunately, wikia, despite having a site with far less content, much of it severely out of date, gets higher search engine hits, in part because Wikia is built around getting ad revenue, not supporting the communities that use their service. In the future, please link to content on pathfinderwiki.com rather than the wikia to help combat that SEO advantage (and to direct people to the active wiki with current information and a thriving community of editors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast