Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Relying only on perfect strike to increase damage (by an average of 2.5 to 4.5 per hit, depending on weapon) doesn't seem all that strong.
    * building around Power Attack or Piranha Strike could be better. Even a Dex build could spare the points to have 13 in Str for Power Attack.
    * you can also get a 3.5 increase in damage by getting 1 level of rogue (sneak attack).
    * even 1 level in bard could be an alternative (+1 to attack and damage from inspire competence roughly equates to an increase of 3.5 in damage).

Perfect strike comes into its own
    * if the Vital Strike feat chain is in the game (can anybody confirm/deny that?)
    * when crit-fishing with keen weapons that have a high threat-range (or Improved Critical)
    * when using monk unarmed progression (or warpriest damage progression)
    * when using effects of enlarge person and other magic that increase the effective die of your weapons

Another avenue that could be tried (though I doubt that is in the game) is the Ascetic Style feat (along with the follow-ups Ascetic Form and Ascetic Strike). Specifically Ascetic Strike lets you use your monk unarmed damage (at monk level - 4) for any weapon in the "monk" weapon group (from the fighter class).

Piranha strike requires the use of a light weapon, so that out of the gate doesn't work for the rapier, estoc and bastard sword. The only alternative is getting a STR of 13 and going for power attack, which is feasable (probably by reducing your INT a couple of points). However, remember that PA reduces your to-hit chances on a class that's already below average (having a 3/4s BAB and dual wielding) and whose primary source of damage is touch spells. The only built in sources of acuracy increase are a couple of magus arcanas and the arcane pool ability to enchant the weapon. Some math is required to see if that is enough.

An alternative is Arcane Strike. It eats up your swift action and grants your 1 + LVL/5 damage on all weapon attacks.

Quote Originally Posted by HenriHakl View Post
    Relying only on perfect strike to increase damage (by an average of 2.5 to 4.5 per hit, depending on weapon) doesn't seem all that strong.
    So many factors in play when talking about overall might. First of all, what DPS do you have when not using abilities/magic/enhancement; How often do you hit, what is the average damage. And when using abilities/magic/enhancement; Amount/possibilities, hit rate, damage at hit, how much does the amount/possible uses increase over time... how often can you rest to replenish. What defense do you have etc etc etc
    So it's not about "relying only" on perfect strike and of course not what you meant (as you stated with the rest of your post). Perfect strike is without question meant to be at its best together with a strong single handed weapon and against a stronger opponent.

My subconscious calculator (i'm sooo lazy right now) really screams that a Bastard Sword wielding Sword Saint will definitely be overall more solid from the start and at least to mid game.

I will, without a doubt, do the math at a later point.

Sorry for only addressing a single sentence in your post (and taking it out of context). I'll be back another day.
    Last edited by KensaiGrandMaster; 05-17-2018 at 09:28 PM.

The problem is that arcane points are a relatively limited resource. If it were rage rounds or bardic performance rounds; those can be consumed relatively safely. But arcane points? Far too valuable to spend on a single instance to add roughly 4.5 damage once.

I think perfect strike's crit-modifier is better (instead of maximizing weapon damage, spend 2 arcane points to increase crit-multiplier by 1 after confirming a crit). This makes crit-fishing (e.g. keen rapier) more interesting and favors having a big damage bonus that is added to the weapon dice. You can be more selective with spending your arcane points and when you do spend them they have a huge impact.

estoc technically is 1 hded weapon if taking exotic weapon proficiency it is akin to a bastard sword that can be finessed

as nice as sword saint is vivisectionist alc is just insane full sneak attack mutagen combat trick every 2 levels and buffs can throw in with any magus combo and get few accomplished sneaker and its sick bit broken... I played a similar combo in pen and paper 3 lvls rogue 2x kukris 4 fight 12 vivisectionist for upgraded mutagen pretty much invalidates most melee classes in game u can argue and try str based 11 inq/4 viv ASAx5 rog 4 fig 1(for feat weapons armor) net character has mettle/evasion/7d6 sneak 4d6 bane

Quote Originally Posted by HenriHakl View Post
    The problem is that arcane points are a relatively limited resource. If it were rage rounds or bardic performance rounds; those can be consumed relatively safely. But arcane points? Far too valuable to spend on a single instance to add roughly 4.5 damage once.

I think perfect strike's crit-modifier is better (instead of maximizing weapon damage, spend 2 arcane points to increase crit-multiplier by 1 after confirming a crit). This makes crit-fishing (e.g. keen rapier) more interesting and favors having a big damage bonus that is added to the weapon dice. You can be more selective with spending your arcane points and when you do spend them they have a huge impact.
    You're right. They should only be consumed when necessary. The max dmg-Perfect strike is only valuable in combination with bastard sword in that regard, because it gives the most average dmg increase. And it should be used against opponents that need to reliably go down faster.
    Sure, the crit-mod is awesome as well! What you have to consider is not what dmg you CAN do but what dmg you actually do over a given time. What i mean is that the winner in a fight is the combatant that makes the most dmg in the shortest amount of time. Critically hitting is nice when you actually crit. A DEX-build with an agile rapier (or a different build with estoc) at lvl 9 has the potential to confirm more crits than normal. You'll have to run the math for different kind of scenarios and variables to see long term and short term gains.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234