Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    I think that casters should be able to toggle the Cast Defensively, but that the roll should only be made if an AoO is attempted against them (and only one check regardless of the number of AoOs).
    For example, if the caster is within melee range with a creature who has used up its AoO's for the round, then no roll should be made.
    If the caster gets hit by damage while casting the spell and either the Cast Defensively toggle is off or the damage is from a non-AoO attack (such as a ranged attack or area of effect), then they should roll 1 check based on total damage that they take, but NOT a Cast Defensive check.

Also, by the rules the Cast Defensively check should be DC 15 + 2*spell level (not a base of 10). This is a bit harder to make and why it should only happen when the toggle is on AND the first AoO is attempted.

Also of note is that the FEAT COMBAT CASTING should only affect Casting Defensively, not taking damage while casting.
    Nok-Nok! Are you thinking what I'm thinking?!

Quote Originally Posted by Perpetual Nothing View Post
    To ramaster: Baldurs Gate was made based on another system entirely. In Pathfinder, not all damage fizzles spells and you usually cannot interrupt standard action spells by normal attacks at all, so this system will hardly make spellcasters more powerful.
    Yes, I understand that Baldurs Gate was based on another system (2e), but it is a similar game whose designers (I assume) ran into balance issues and tried to solve them.

From the Pathfinder rules:

"Injury

If you take damage while trying to cast a spell, you must make a concentration check with a DC equal to 10 + the damage taken + the level of the spell you’re casting. If you fail the check, you lose the spell without effect."

So all damage, in fact, does have a chance to fizzle a given spell. So while it is true that standard action attacks don't usually interrupt spellcasting, if a prepared attack hits it will have a very high chance of interrupting. Say you are lvl 1 and hit for 7 damage (1d8+3), if the enemy is also lvl 1, is casting a lvl 1 spell and has a spellcasting ability score of 16 then the check DC is 18 and he rolls with +4 (these are common numbers at lvl 1). And it gets much worse from there on, since damage scales much faster than concentration checks.

I'm not saying that your solution is not viable. I'm just concerned that you might be buffing the classes that need the least amount of buffing.
    Last edited by Yesterday's Hero; 09-12-2017 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Perpetual Nothing
    And also, which mechanics would you like to hear about next?
    I'd love to know more about summoning, specifically about whether binding or calling outsiders will be possible, and whether there will be options to expand the summon list (spells, feats, deities etc.)

Will there be something like 'story feats' which would be awarded on top of the normal level-ups for completing certain in-game objectives?

How will long-term effects such as poison and disease be handled - by the book, or with any customizations?

Quote Originally Posted by Nortar View Post
    Well, I cannot speak for "many people", but I know at least one man would welcome such a topic.

But are there *major* differences?
    From what I know Pathfinder differs from DnD 3.5, much less then DnD 3rd edition from 4th.
    Depends on what you mean by "major." Its very similar obviously, but that also means it can get easier to get tripped up because you see something that is 95% the same but don't realize that 5% difference. Probably the big things most people will notice immediately is the simplified skill system, removal of turn undead (replaced with Channel Energy), and favored classes being completely different.

With careful positioning risk of getting hit by AoO is minimal. There will be some fights where enemies swarm the party, but that’s not a common occurrence
    Thanks for the answers.
    It's good to know that careful party management can help to avoid making these extra fail-check rolls.
    I'll be looking forward to an article about AI behavior, maybe it could be featured in one of the monthly developer updates?

I also agree with Naliamegod that, in this case, partial knowledge of a system is worse than "tabula rasa".
    Better to learn everything as you go, than make mistakes wrongly believing you know how it works.
    So I guess I'll have to read up on Pathfinder before Kingmaker release.

Quote Originally Posted by Naliamegod View Post
    Depends on what you mean by "major." Its very similar obviously, but that also means it can get easier to get tripped up because you see something that is 95% the same but don't realize that 5% difference. Probably the big things most people will notice immediately is the simplified skill system, removal of turn undead (replaced with Channel Energy), and favored classes being completely different.
    Some more pretty important changes:

The combat maneuver system (and the concept of CMD) is new in Pathfinder; 3.5 disarm, trip, etc worked quite differently.

A lot of spells have been re-balanced so that save-or-die is less common (typically replaced with save-or-suck effects). Of course, iconic death spells such as phantasmal killer are still around.

Archetypes are novel to Pathfinder, and they significantly change character builds. Prestige classes are still around, but generally take a backseat to archetypes.

General feats are gained every odd level (as opposed to 1, 4, 7, etc).

Classes in general are buffed up, with more levels granting more things to all classes.

Multi-classing is slightly discouraged with the concept of favored classes.

Quote Originally Posted by HenriHakl View Post

Classes in general are buffed up, with more levels granting more things to all classes.
    Small exception for Druids and Clerics, who were debuffed in Pathfinder a bit. They are still some of the most powerful classes in the game, but no longer make martial characters feel completely worthless. The Summoner is regarded as the equivelant of Codzilla in Pathfinder.

Paladins are probably the most radical power change though, going from a class that you only spend a few levels in to one of the best single-class tanks in the game (Outside of Summoners, but good luck finding a DM that allows them).

Quote Originally Posted by Naliamegod View Post
    Small exception for Druids and Clerics, who were debuffed in Pathfinder a bit. They are still some of the most powerful classes in the game, but no longer make martial characters feel completely worthless. The Summoner is regarded as the equivelant of Codzilla in Pathfinder.

Paladins are probably the most radical power change though, going from a class that you only spend a few levels in to one of the best single-class tanks in the game (Outside of Summoners, but good luck finding a DM that allows them).
    DMs tend to allow Unchained summoners in my experience. The shift to Unchained knocked Summoners back down to a more reasonable power level.

To Dragao_Preto: We hadn’t started making a druid yet, but we planned that it would function similar to pen and paper, but with the limitation on the animals you may polymorph into since not all animals will be in the game.
    Gotcha! I'll be interested to hear more about it once you begin work on the class. I completely understand limiting the number of animals as it costs time and money for each one you code. However, I'm more concerned with how we will be able to use Wild Shape to interact with our environment. If you have a moment, please see this thread: https://owlcatgames.com/forums/showt...405-Wild-Shape

I'd really like to hear about the how Summon Monster is being looked at.

In a TT style game, the spell has a lot of small aspects that might be very difficult in a computer game.

Can you control the creature (even if you can or can not communicate with it)?
    Will summoning multiple lesser versions be allowed, (like the Lantern Archon Voltron)?
    Will there be enough options to make it worthwhile.?
    Will Augment Summons, and similar Feats be an option?
    Etc...

Additionally, what concepts about Alignment are in the works?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast