Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Permanent disabilities

I just left The trading post for my first encounter in the wild and and the damn spiders lowered Linzie's strength by 2. wonderful! Then I encountered two monitors and they lowered my dwarfs dexterity by 2 PERMANENTLY. I said to myself this is RNG and i will play it over at the lowest level. The same shit happened. I haven't played this game since then. Thank you for ruining a game I have been looking forward to.
    "Who put pineapple juice in my pineapple juice?"

It will go away with rest. It's a poison effect. You can also use lesser restoration.
    [I]Vivat Grendel![/I]

Quote Originally Posted by Ebon Krieg View Post
    I just left The trading post for my first encounter in the wild and and the damn spiders lowered Linzie's strength by 2. wonderful! Then I encountered two monitors and they lowered my dwarfs dexterity by 2 PERMANENTLY.
    I agree with you that the statut ''permanent'' is not correctly explained. Permanent is a status that is curable only with rest (2points per 24h, so for 6 points you have to wait for 72 hours) or with restoration spells/scrolls/potions, which are 1d4 points cured (EDIT : for the lesser version. I think the normal version of restoration cures every points, so mid-game those status won't be a big deal.)

Overall, this mechanic would be better dealed by having a large pool of adventurer so you can rotate between your characters that need rest and those ready to go, and keep the restoration potions/scrolls for your main character. Of course, having a cleric with sufficient level can easily solve the problem.

Loading screen specifies disabilities can be cured by resting at oleg's trading post, and I think oleg's trading post has increased heal rate but disnt pay too close attention so long as they were healed. That said, didnt seem like blindness was cured and had to use a couple scrolls for that.

But dont worry, with decent level clerics even losing multiple limbs and your life are more temporary set backs-but the raise dead isnt until later chapters, think its around level 9 or 10. Though think mc doesnt get the ressurection option since its auto game over.

Senior Member No One of Consequence's Avatar
    Yes, the "Permanent" name is misleading, I think. In PnP, those are called Ability Damage, and, since it is Damage (albeit of a special kind), it can be cured by rest. Restoration spells (as well as Heal, later in the game) can also cure that kind of Damage.

As for Blindness, it really is a Permanent effect. You need spells (Remove Blindness is the lowest-level spell that can deal with Blindness, but Heal still works. By RAW, Dispel Magic might also work, but I don't think this will be the case in-game..

I don’t know if the original poster will return to see these replies or if they left for good.

The others have addressed how to treat the condition but, there is another concern related to this that perhaps the dev team should address?

By calling it permanent in game with no explanation of what that means or how to treat it is going to push people away from the game. As could the other unexplained mechanics that add time or hinder the player’s ability to progress through the game. Which is a shame because the game is awesome.

I think the game may need a better tutorial or notes to explain the mechanics and terms used in the game from the start (the prologue).

A section of notes accessible from the ingame menu explaining terms, how the rolls outside of combat are determined, explaining encumberance, fatigue, how to cure various conditions, etc. may help.
    Even the tabletop players can forget mechanics or get confused since the video game does change mechanics and terms from the tabletop rules.

This kind of misunderstanding could lose potential players. For the game to really be successful it needs to be easy enough ingame to find and learn the mechanics for people new to the tabletop as well as those of us who are familiar with the tabletop rules and can figure out the parts that are changed from the tabletop.
    Last edited by Katchelina; 05-02-2018 at 06:22 PM. Reason: Typos

One good way to start is something I believe they have planned just not yet fully implemented-expanded but concise tooltips for various conditions and modifiers. A well written tool tip can solve many issues with questionable understanding without needing to dig through an IG encyclopedia or such, such as noting on the ability damage this: "Ability damage healed via long term resting or through restoration spells." would probably of solved this issue and I will assume is probably planned.

@Ebon Krieg: If you've been looking forward to this game for 25 years, then could I suggest brushing up on the source material. http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/c...alty-and-drain

Pathfinder is super tame compared to RPGs back then, where half of the creatures had save-or-dies, and negative levels actually removed experience points. There is a way to remove any ailment in Pathfinder, but everything costs time, resources, or both.

As above said, a little highlighted note at the bottom of any permanent /semi-permanent effect should fix this. Insanity is going to be an interesting one, but by that level, people should understand enough to look for a way to cure it.
    Last edited by Grifta; 05-02-2018 at 09:07 PM.

Senior Member No One of Consequence's Avatar
    Just a reminder to the OP that this is still BETA, not the full game. If you can play the beta, you have a "bug report" button on the right of the screen to write directly to the Dev team whatever is not working as it should. Also, you should have access to the Beta forums, in order to discuss stuff related to the beta more in depths, such as features that should be included in your opinion. ;)

Thank you for teaching me the basics of rpg gaming. I played "Pool of Radiance" when it came out. You misunderstood my problem, unlike the helpful people who commented before you. Please try to be a jerk elsewhere.
    "Who put pineapple juice in my pineapple juice?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast