62. You may not vote on this poll
  • In

49 79.03%
  • Out

13 20.97%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Aasimar Feats

Quote Originally Posted by No One of Consequence View Post
    Yes, except why limit it to 1x/day ? Do Winged people tire that quick ? It would make no sense RP-wise.
    Because moving through physical space and dimension door style travel have significantly different rules and effects.
    DDoor ends your turn (no actions until your next turn), and can be blocked by dimensional anchor, and doesn't provoke AOOs during transit, and it's casting can be interrupted.
    Flying takes movement, and is restricted by armour, and requires physical movement through a space, and can be interupted by high winds, and can cause damage if you're paralyzed mid transit, and and and.

Unlimited DDoor would be insane. You could spend 2 feats to get an unlimited version of Abundant Step (Monk level 12 ability)?

Hey, auto succeeding climb checks, or some story stuff where you cross a river for free, sure. But massively altering abilities to shoehorn them into a game that doesn't support them is just going to screw stuff up.
    Last edited by Grifta; 05-16-2018 at 08:47 PM.

Whenever people want to abuse rules, they do.

I have a tabletop 3.5 character with unlimited flight AND short-range Dimension Door (Warlock), and also she uses those very often, there was never any sense of abuse from either the DM or the other players.

On the other hand, people have been known to abuse seemingly harmless rules with combos no designer had thought of (AoOs + Great Cleave on bag of rats, anyone ?).

But this is an endless debate, I know. To me, preventing potential abuse often results in merely preventing fun and RP for me and similar players. To others, it is a necessary tool to balancing the game for the most vocal players.

think of it this way if you can have wings so can the enemy it is not just aasimar that can have wings there are plenty of monsters that have them that will use them to make your adventure difficulty
    Last edited by Monkey King; 05-17-2018 at 01:18 PM.

This isn't really a rules debate, it's an implementation one.

There is no flight.

Shoehorning in a feat that specifically tries to add flight to a game with no flight is pointless and will take away time from other tasks. If they add a flight mechanic to the next version of the game, then fill your boots.

@No One of Consequence: You need better players. Those are things that normal people see, laugh about the concept, and then never do. You're wasting your life playing with trolls.

Grifta, please read my post again, I said that the people I play with don't do such things, but I am aware that some people do.
    YOU said that infinite Dimension Door would be insane, I say it might be insane in the hands of people who like to abuse the rules, but then it might not.

Grifta, please read my post again, I said that the people I play with don't do such things, but I am aware that some people do.
    If you don't mind pointing out where you said that, because I'm not seeing that statement.

An infinite DDoor is objectively insane in this system, especially when it's created by altering a current feat. Whether or not it is used is irrelevant.

Running this same logic, why not just put a chest in the first room with every weapon in it with a label saying "we know that this completely destroys balance, so only take these if you want to".

@All; There is no flight, the sooner you accept that, the happier you will be.

In post number #22 above.

Quote : "I have a tabletop 3.5 character with unlimited flight AND short-range Dimension Door (Warlock), and also she uses those very often, there was never any sense of abuse from either the DM or the other players.

On the other hand, people have been known to abuse seemingly harmless rules with combos no designer had thought of (AoOs + Great Cleave on bag of rats, anyone ?)."

First statement, I have infinite short-range DD (+flight + Invisibility), and there are no problems on our campaigns.

Second statement, somepeople (not in my group) abuse loopholes in rules that seem harmless and very balanced at first sight, bur lose that balance in different unforeseen combos.
    As for me, Balance have never been a priority for me, I play those games solo for the story and the characters. I cheat most of the times to win the combats quickly without too much hassle (most used cheats : high abilities, mainly to get the character I want, and infinite money to buy the best possible equipment early in the game, close enough to your example).

Even on tabletop, I get along with my DM on the idea that the story and the characters (dialogues, scenes) are more important than balance at all costs, which more often than not ruins the fun.

I am aware that it is just one way of playing, and not the most widespread in the world. I am merely pointing out my opinion.

I'm not really sure how to continue a conversation about adding of not adding a feat (a purely mechanical thing) when you have no interest in mechanic, and are planning on cheating your way through the game anyway.

In this case, you can just edit your character to have 12 levels of monk and infinite Ki points. Then write "Angel Wings" at the top. Problem solved. No need to shoehorn in a feat that doesn't work with this system.

Who said I have no interest in mechanics ? I said I have no interest in balance, which is a different thing entirely. Our goals differ, but we use the same tools (the game with its mechanics).

In post number #22 above.

Quote : "I have a tabletop 3.5 character with unlimited flight AND short-range Dimension Door (Warlock), and also she uses those very often, there was never any sense of abuse from either the DM or the other players.

On the other hand, people have been known to abuse seemingly harmless rules with combos no designer had thought of (AoOs + Great Cleave on bag of rats, anyone ?)."

First statement, I have infinite short-range DD (+flight + Invisibility), and there are no problems on our campaigns.

Second statement, somepeople (not in my group) abuse loopholes in rules that seem harmless and very balanced at first sight, bur lose that balance in different unforeseen combos.
    As for me, Balance have never been a priority for me, I play those games solo for the story and the characters. I cheat most of the times to win the combats quickly without too much hassle (most used cheats : high abilities, mainly to get the character I want, and infinite money to buy the best possible equipment early in the game, close enough to your example).

Even on tabletop, I get along with my DM on the idea that the story and the characters (dialogues, scenes) are more important than balance at all costs, which more often than not ruins the fun.

I am aware that it is just one way of playing, and not the most widespread in the world. I am merely pointing out my opinion.

I cant even play a game knowing I cheated. It is no longer a game if I am not playing it the way it was designed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast