Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Yeah, i dont feel masochist paladin tank is viable. You simply do not have the required amount of loh. As others have said, you have many, many more fights per day than in tabletop, which makes classes with static bonusses such as fighters and rogues much better compared to those with limited resources (paladins and barbarians in example). The entire game is set up in a limited time scenario which encourages you to rest as little as possible, too.

Additionally, from my playthrough so far, up to level 9, ive found saving throws in general to be fairly rare. So divine grace isnt as good as in tabletop. Only fort saves are common due to poisoned attacks on many enemies.

A good tank in this game is one that has constant benefits that minimizes the amount of party resources spent. Fighter is better at this than paladin as it has better static damage and higher ac. My valerie is usually the mvp for having both great damage and ac. All fighter bonus feats and armor training (raises max dex bonus on armor) contribute to this. And valerie's stats are horrible, so this says a lot about the power of fighter imo. Considering the other party members I guess a fighter mc with better stats is probably the best addition to the npc roster.

What i can definitely see paladin being good at is 2 hander hospitaler as basic damage dealer and decent overall healer. A certain plate at the end of chapter 2 will really make that shine. But for sword and board fighter just beats paladin.

Now I'm curious about what that plate does. Can you say?

+3 fullplate, grants +2 wis and +2 charisma and gives two more uses of smite evil each day. Since headbands count as helms in this game, using the plate frees up your headslot for a phylacterie of positive channeling.

Very cool. Does it grant smite evil to any class, or is it a paladin-limited item?

The hospitaler sounds really appealing, especially with that item giving some more smite evil uses. It is just hard to give up on Aura of Justice, since (according to the dev forum post on it) it is basically a party-wide Smite Evil. Easy mode for boss fights.
    Last edited by TheMetaphysician; 06-29-2018 at 10:01 PM.

It only grants smite to paladins. And i hear you on aura of justice - that seems really good. I kind of like monster tactician inquisitor for a similar bonus, it allows you to copy the bonusses of jugement to a second ally whenever judgement is used.

I'm still thinking about the Hospitaler and trying to weigh it against the Aura of Justice, and I'd appreciate help thinking it through. The main bonus of the Hospitaler (with the gear you mentioned) is you get the same amount and power of cleric channeling. That channeling is mainly useful outside of combat -- is that right?

Now, have you found that you need that amount of outside-of-combat healing? How easy is it to get (buy or craft) wands of cure light wounds/cure medium wounds in this game? If I plan on taking another cleric anyway (for the buffs and other spells), does that make the hospitaler channeling redundant?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMetaphysician View Post
    The main bonus of the Hospitaler (with the gear you mentioned) is you get the same amount and power of cleric channeling. That channeling is mainly useful outside of combat -- is that right?
    There is a feat (or even few) to use with that ability. Like one to get more channelings and another to use selective (so you only heal your party members).
    Naturally you want to use that when most of your party members are injured. If only one/two from six you most likely want to heal them using different spells / maybe scrolls. Allso during fight you might want to use potions allso (as instant backup).

Edit: and something taken from internet;
    "
    Selective Channelling is choice for a healing Cleric.

Extra Channel might be worth it if your group is low level and getting their asses handed to them all the time, or if you're a melee Cleric spamming Channel Smite.

Improved Channel is.. OK, I guess? How often are you going to channel offensively?

Channel Smite is not bad, but it's not great. It uses a Channel even if your attack doesn't hit.

Turn Undead is pointless. You want to destroy undead as a non-evil Cleric, and this just makes it harder. Not to mention that having a skeleton run all the way to the boss' room panicked is going to make the situation worse for the party. If it gave Sickened condition or even Shaken, for a longer duration, I'd consider it, but Panicked isn't useful unless you're routed yourself.

Command Undead is choice for evil Clerics.

Alignment and Elemental Channel are very campaign-dependent. If you were going to be in the Worldwound for the entire campaign, then Alignment Channel might be good. Otherwise, I'd try to avoid both of these.

Summary:

Healing Clerics: Selective Channelling, definitely; maybe Extra Channel if you don't have a great CHA or are in a party with a lot of poorly-armored melee.

Melee Clerics: Take melee feats. Power Attack, Two-Weapon Fighting, etc. are all better investments than Channel Smite, imo. If you're really melee focused, you don't have attribute points to blow on CHA anyhow, so you're blowing a feat on a 3/day ability. Not the worst, but I'm sure you can do better.

Evil Clerics: Improved Channel and Command Undead. You're going to be offensively channelling a lot and you want your undead mind-control to work.

"
    Last edited by Pathfinder; 06-30-2018 at 08:41 AM.
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"

For this game, I'd ask what team you're going to be using first. Are you using a cleric? I used tristam as an NPC and he starts with the feat that makes channel positive energy allies only. Also, his channel energy is always 1,5 x 1d6 higher than a hospitaler, since paladin progression starts at 1d6 at level 4 while cleric starts at 1d6 at level one, and both increase by 1d6 every two levels. Are you going to be using a cleric anyway? If the answer is yes, from an optimization standpoint i'd then go normal paladin or divine hunter for dps (and their level 11 aura). One person spaming this powerful AOE heal is enough even in tough fights. As a bonus, tristram has the healing domain so his targeted heals all heal for 50% extra.

While you can use clerics for other things than healing and buffing, IMO both cleric npc's have bad stats for it and are better suited for healing.

Quote Originally Posted by markvdbij@hotmail.com View Post
    For this game, I'd ask what team you're going to be using first.

While you can use clerics for other things than healing and buffing, IMO both cleric npc's have bad stats for it and are better suited for healing.
    1PC: LE Aldori Swordlord (or Defender, what ever name will be) (most likely) human, male.Dex based build.
    NPC: Amiri (love her but she have so low AC, but then if she hit [and crit] once enemy most likely die anyway so... but she is 3:rd melee person so might be bit too much)
    NPC: Jaethal
    NPC: Harrim (time to time Tristian, who will be more oriented for healing while Harrim can be second hand melee person allso)
    NPC: Octavia (later most likely Nok-Nok)
    NPC: Ekundayo / Regongar (will see, at first Reg is too fragile, maybe when I get Nok-Nok he will be tough enough to be party spell using member and replace Octavia.. ..will see)

Problem is, yes. Like you told during ONE fight there will be enough healing power, but ideally I want to keep on moving and not camp after every single fight. So: Jaethal can heal herself and maybe party, Harrim/Tristan will allso heal, in my neutral or good party I will take Linzi who allso heal and can use scrolls.. Allso on my neutral or good party play I will use most likely druid (who can heal, will most likely try out blight druid for neutral play) and if we get certain type of ranger (maybe falconer, beastmaster will see) or will use flamewarden for good playthrough.
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"

How available are wands in the game?

And what are Tristian's stats? Edit: wow, just found a youtube video with the stats, and they stink if you want him to do any damage (melee or ranged) at all. 10 strength, 12 dex, 15 con, 18 wisdom, 16 charisma. If he just had 13 dex I'd be happier, so I could qualify for rapid shot and deadly aim. (Maybe make dex his level 4 stat bonus, but that feels like a waste.) 15 con is just not a helpful number. Good healer/buffer though.
    Last edited by TheMetaphysician; 06-30-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast