Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Senior Member JulietRosalieMelusine's Avatar

Multiclassing, building the multiclass companions

I'm not familiar with Kingmaker or any Pathfinder rules....

How good is ranger companion Ekundayo as ranger/rogue multiclass
    How good is Linzi as Bard/rogue?

What classes build nicely with rogue? Since we miss a good/neutral rogue companion, I've been thinking playing a rogue/wizard multiclass, but I wish to play as Feyspeaker/Thundercaller....
    we also miss number of good aligned companions, 11 companions are far too small number for 6 person party.

Octavia comes, to my chagrin, already multi-classed as a rogue/wizard, so that she can go as an arcane trickster. She is chaotic good.
    What do you call a dragon who ate a bunch of adventurers? A party-pooper!
    If you Awaken a chicken, is it speaking fowl language?
    What do you say when a treefolk betrays you? Tree-son!

Quote Originally Posted by ForestDew View Post
    Octavia comes, to my chagrin, already multi-classed as a rogue/wizard, so that she can go as an arcane trickster. She is chaotic good.
    But could we drop her friend Magus from party and keep Octavia?

Quote Originally Posted by JulietRosalieMelusine View Post
    But could we drop her friend Magus from party and keep Octavia?
    There are 11 Companions. You only have a party size of 6 (you plus 5 companions). Inevitable someone will be left behind. you can make this someone Regongar is you wish, but why would you? Regongar is awesome.

Linzi and Octavia already fill in the "Rogue" position. You actually do not need a Rogue in PF, and they were regarded as one of the most replaceable classes until they updated the rules. You can also just make your own custom Rogue companion if you really want to see how they work out.

In general, if you want to multiclass, you generally want to do 1-2 levels in another class. Most people who multi-class into Rogues do it to get the dex-to-damage at level 2, and in this game's case, to get sneak attack because the way the game has worked so far, its really really easy to get sneak attacks. I've seen a lot of people dip Valerie into Rogue to help up her damage, and a dip for Ekundayo also isn't a bad idea. I wouldn't recommend dipping Linzi since her job isn't damage and you want her spells and abilities, ditto with the Clerics, though Sorcerers and Wizards can get with it since it allows them to spam SA acid splash which gives them something to do when not casting spells so that isn't a bad option

Senior Member No One of Consequence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratagemini View Post
    Regongar is awesome.
    From the alpha video I saw 6 months ago, he's also suicidal if you don't micromanage him... Even more so than Amiri... :p

As I probably will play an Eldritch Scion of a plain Mague for my first playthrough, I won't be taking Regongar, but I certainly will with my second playthrough, as a Roguish-type, sneaky kind-of-guy... :p Then I'll have Octavia as a Wizard and Regongar in my team. Maybe not the most powerful team around, but it should be fun. :D They're probably my favorite companions from what I saw then.

I just give Regongar a bow and then have him switch weapons when I want him to go full nova on somebody. Works pretty well

Pathfinder rules allow a lot of flexibility with multiclassing, because each level you can just add a level of any class at all. So you could have a level 20 character with 1 level in 20 different classes (theoretically -- if there were 20 different classes with compatible alignment restrictions). I really like the idea of a thread brainstorming multiclasses for existing companions. There has been some of that in other threads I've started; this is a good thread to concentrate them together. I think it is fun to try to build creatively on top of pre-existing attributes.

Here's the info on the companions I've been able to compile from watching youtube videos (nothing on Nok-Nok or Jubilost):

- Valerie, fighter 1, feats (dodge, shield focus), stats (Str 14, Dex 13, Con 19, Int 9, Wis 10, Cha 15)
    - Linzi, bard 1, feat (extra performance), stats (Str 8, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 14, Wis 10, Cha 16)
    - Amiri, barbarian 1, feats (exotic weapon prof, toughness), stats (Str 16, Dex 13, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 10)
    - Regongar, eldritch scion magus 1, feat (weapon focus), stats (Str 17, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 16)
    - Octavia, rogue 1/wizard (transmuter) 1, feats (point-blank shot, spell focus transmutation), stats (Str 10, Dex 18, Con 8, Int 19, Wis 10, Cha 14)
    - Tristian, cleric 2, feats (selective channeling, toughness), stats (Str 10, Dex 12, Con 15, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 16)
    - Jaethal, inquisitor 1, stats (Str 16, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 16, Cha 14)
    - Harrim, cleric 1, feat (toughness), stats (Str 14, Dex 8, Con 16, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 10)
    - Ekundayo, ranger 4, feats (point blank shot, rapid shot, weapon focus), stats (Str 16, Dex 19, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 10)

Here are some thoughts I have on multiclass builds for the companions:

VALERIE
    - There is good discussion of Valerie builds on this thread and this one.
    - The challenge with Valerie is her apparently un-optimized stat distribution. But un-optimized is another way of saying spread-out, so she might actually do pretty well with a MAD (multiple-attribute-dependent) class like monk, since such a class would benefit from pretty much any stat boost you could pile on. So I really like the build in the second link above: fighter 1/scaled fist monk 1/sorcerer 4/dragon disciple 8/eldritch knight 6, with the crane style line of feats. Huge AC boosts and good defensive spells. If eldritch knight isn't in the game, you can just finish with some combo of monk and/or fighter levels to keep the melee up (and other defensive goodies like evasion and a +1 AC boost from monk); or finish with sorcerer to get a few more AC from the draconic bloodline and better spells.

TRISTIAN
    - With his great Wisdom but subpar Strength/Dex, he is crying out for a 2-level dip in Sensei monk or 3-level dip in Zen Archer to get his wisdom as bonus to his attack rolls. Unfortunately, his alignment is Neutral Good and monk needs Lawful, so he isn't eligible for it.
    - His high Wisdom would make him a good Empyreal Sorcerer (wisdom-based sorcerer), though he'd be two levels behind because of his two levels in cleric.
    - He's probably the best candidate for Mystic Theurge: 3 cleric, 4 Empyreal Sorcerer, 10 Mystic Theurge, finish with one or the other casting class.

EKUNDAYO
    - This guy has some good stats for multiclassing -- with rogue, fighter, and/or even inquisitor. markvdbij has two cool ideas for Ekundayo builds here, though we've since learned that Ekundayo starts at level 4 ranger, so they have to be altered. Here are some suggestions -- markvdbij deserves most of the credit for these:
    - Ranger 4/inquisitor 16. More damage and possibly better party support than pure ranger, at the cost of an animal companion. I'd pick the tactical leader archetype for party buffing.
    - Ranger 4/fighter 16. Possibly the best and most consistent damage-dealer.
    - Ranger 4/rogue 1-3/fighter X. Can get a lot of the benefit of the previous build, but can also stack Accomplished Sneak Attacker with all your extra feats in the fighter levels, and get dex-to-hit-and-damage for a better melee presence.

AMIRI
    - I'd like to find a way to make Amiri less of a glass cannon, but sticking with Barbarian and getting the bonus damage reduction rage power three times actually seems like the best way to do that.
    - Multiclassing her to 2-handed fighter seems like it will actually weaken her defenses -- she can use heavy armor, but it will cut her speed in half, and speed actually seems more important in real-time-with-pause combat than it is in turn-based combat. It might boost her damage some, but at the cost of rage powers and rage duration, which just seems to take back any damage boosts you might get.
    - You could just go rogue 1 (or vivisectionist alchemist 1)/ two-handed fighter X and load up on Accomplished Sneak Attacker. I don't think that would be better than straight barbarian, but it might not be much worse, and would certainly be different in an interesting way.

LINZI
    - If only Linzi was Lawful Good instead of Chaotic Good, she could be a Divine Hunter Paladin! I would love that. Alas. As it is, she and Regongar both seem perfectly designed for their actual classes, and it is hard to see multiclassing them. But maybe I'm missing something.

I'd love to hear other ideas for any of the companions! This stuff is fun, and enhances the game, I think.
    Last edited by TheMetaphysician; 07-23-2018 at 08:40 PM.

Tristian -> Cleric/Inquisitor/Ranger

Valerie - if we can shift her belief from atheism to religion, I will keep her fighter, maybe fighter/cleric if she find her faith again, if not maybe have her fighter/bard or fighter/magus

Amiri - Barbarian/rogue or Barbarian/Inquisitor?

Harrim cleric/fighter? Cleric/Inquisitor

Regongar - Magus/rogue, Magus/Bard? I heard he's quite a glass cannon, but perfect with bow.

Jaethal - Inquisitor/druid, Inquisitor/bard, Inquisitor/Sorcerer

Not commenting of Octavia - there will be only one build that everybody will go for and Ekundayo - covered already.

Quote Originally Posted by JulietRosalieMelusine View Post
    Not commenting of Octavia - there will be only one build that everybody will go for
    Actually that is not true. I have seen in youtube videos how some tend to try and make her "full" rogue, some full wizard and quite many strugle to try and give her PRC (it really should not take near lvl 8 or so like it have been for some videos specially if you are aiming for that PRC).

So it would be maybe good idea to make few build ideas, how to get (as fast as possible) that PRC (arcane trickster), what is lost and what is gained if (lett's say you PC is rogue or wizard and you decide to make her 100% opposite) you try to make her "pure" wizard or rogue except that 1 level you get from start.
    Last edited by Pathfinder; 07-24-2018 at 06:13 AM.
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast