Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueNeutralPaladin View Post
    Can anyone offer advice on Eldritch Knight builds?
    So when I read this it really made me puzzle over how you would want to do it and what niche eldrich knight has. Eldrich knight give full base attack fighter levels for feats and 9 of 10 arcane spell casting so its really mostly suited for people who are making physical attacks. Unlike with paper and pen eldrich knights you don't have to dip for them as all martial weapon proficiencies is one feat now rather than theoretically infinite.

Personally it feels like the current best usage for eldrich knight are Magus and Bards who want a more reliable and powerful auto attack, although as a Bard I'd be unhappy about losing soothing performance I'm not sure what I'd be unhappy about for Magus. But neither of those things fit what your trying to do.

For what your trying to do my first inclinations are to say sorcerer dragon disciple or just mono wizard and mid late game always have a transformation in you pocket once you have access to it.

If your going to do this wizard into eldrich knight for the consistency I'd probably only take 5 levels of wizard so I'd be at a feat level when I hit Lv 4 knight to get my weapon spec. I'd skip armour all together your a wizard that occasionally uses a great sword so defend yourself with mirror image and invisibility like normal wizards. You wanted to use this for melee so make your weapon selection a 2 handed melee, although I think the build might be more effective as an archer backup plan that's not your intention.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueNeutralPaladin View Post
    Magus would be a stronger fighter but gives up higher level spells and is restricted to a smaller selection of spells?
    This is true although your missing one important thing about the Magus which is action economy. Magus cast spells while hitting people Eldritch knights cast spells or hit people. It's like they get to sudo quicker their spells.

I'm currently a bit undecided which class I want to play - here my favorites (build them in game to check that everything works)

Halfling: Monk (2) / Sword Saint (9) / Duelist (9)

A lot of skill points and really high defenses thanks to double Canny Defense, Fighting Defensively, Crane Style and Monk Wisdom bonus. But damage is a bit lacking.

Aasimar (Angelkin): Two-handed Fighter (15) / Sorcerer (1) / Dragon Disciple (4)

Hits really really hard thanks to a buffed Power Attack with all Cleave feats.

Aasimar (Angelkin): Sword Saint (5) / Duelist (5) / Monk (1) / Sorcerer (1) / Dragon Disciple (8)

A strength-based duelist, which also gets double Canny Defense. Must deactivate Spell Combat to receive twohanded bonus from Power Attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I'm currently a bit undecided which class I want to play - here my favorites (build them in game to check that everything works)

Halfling: Monk (2) / Sword Saint (9) / Duelist (9)

A lot of skill points and really high defenses thanks to double Canny Defense, Fighting Defensively, Crane Style and Monk Wisdom bonus. But damage is a bit lacking.

Aasimar (Angelkin): Two-handed Fighter (15) / Sorcerer (1) / Dragon Disciple (4)

Hits really really hard thanks to a buffed Power Attack with all Cleave feats.

Aasimar (Angelkin): Sword Saint (5) / Duelist (5) / Monk (1) / Sorcerer (1) / Dragon Disciple (8)

A strength-based duelist, which also gets double Canny Defense. Must deactivate Spell Combat to receive twohanded bonus from Power Attack.
    Cheers for researching whether you could exploit double stat to AC for me. :) Expect it to be remedied in a future patch though. ;)

The halfling was pretty much what I was building for my first character: an AC tank with mirror images. Should be able to tank anything. Low damage? That's why you have a party of knifemasters, barbs and paladins at your side!

When levelling as DD, can you advance the spellcasting of sword saint (RAW), or are you stuck with advancing sorcerer (RAI)? Third character was very reminiscent of a theorycraft I did a while back, addressing this specific issue.

Either #1 or #3 wins out if you ask me. In the end, it's all the flavour of the character that decides!

Oh, and would you mind sharing your portraits in the portrait thread please? That fighter lady especially was a real badass!

Quote Originally Posted by Deekin View Post
    Cheers for researching whether you could exploit double stat to AC for me. :) Expect it to be remedied in a future patch though. ;)
    actually the whole idea of the build is just a variation from this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M-sGMvOq3k

When levelling as DD, can you advance the spellcasting of sword saint (RAW), or are you stuck with advancing sorcerer (RAI)? Third character was very reminiscent of a theorycraft I did a while back, addressing this specific issue.
    No you have to select Sorcerer for spell progression. If you want Magus spell progression you must use Eldritch Scion, but then you don't have double Canny Defense ;)

Either #1 or #3 wins out if you ask me. In the end, it's all the flavour of the character that decides!
    I'm still experimenting what feels the best. Currently I'm trying a Dwarf Monster Tactican (18) / Sensei (2) ... this class is immensly strong, but also really buggy. You can summon over 30 devas that follow you around forever. But the pathfinding for summons is really bad and it just don't feels right.

Oh, and would you mind sharing your portraits in the portrait thread please? That fighter lady especially was a real badass!
    Only the halfling portrait was created by me (only the portrait not the original). The last 2 portraits are from this collection: https://steamcommunity.com/app/64082...0257885097701/

I finally decided to play #1 the Halfling Sword Saint Monk Duelist, but I replaced the Monk with Traditional Monk, because you lose nothing (they have the same BAB in the game) and you gain +3 will saves. Here my current progress:

Halfling
    STR 5
    DEX 18
    CON 14
    INT 17
    WIS 14
    CHA 9

1: Sword Saint (1) - Weapon Finesse, (Choosen Weapon = Estoc)
    2: Traditional Monk (1) - Dodge (bonus feat)
    3: Traditional Monk (2) - Crane Style (bonus feat), Fencing Grace
    4: Sword Saint (2) - +1 INT
    5: Sword Saint (3) - Cautious Fighter

Playing this through the tutorial on level 1 was really awful, because you only do 1-3 damage per hit with your Estoc. Best you can do is stealing a Light Crossbow from your companions and giving them another weapon. Stick to crossbows until level 3, then switch back to Estoc after taking Fencing Grace.

At level 5 this character has 35 AC and can tank a lot of things. Also damage is compareable to other party members.

10 base
    +4 Dexterity
    +4 Magic Armor (bought a wand with 50 charges)
    +4 Shield (from Magus spell casting)
    +2 Wisdom bonus
    +3 Fighting Defensively
    +2 Cautious Fighter
    +1 Crane Style
    +1 Dodge
    +3 Canny Defense
    +1 Ring of Protection
    =35 AC

One downside is managing your Carry Capacity with only 5 STR (see this thread) so buying the bag of holding is your highest priority. Altogether the early game is more challenging than with build #2 or #3, but I really like my little halfling so far.

I finally got my game finished downloading and updated, bad internet connection so it took days!

Race: Plumekith
    Class: Monster Tactian
    Deity: Calistra
    Domain: Trickery
    Deity Favoured Weapon: Rapier (in PnP it's a whip, but Rapier works fine for my plans)
    Spells: Cure Light Wounds, Haze of Dreams
    Feat: Weapon Finesse
    Strength: 8
    Dexterity: 18
    Constitution: 10
    Wisdom: 20
    Charisma: 10
    Intelligence: 10
    Features: Halo, Celestial Resistance, Invisibility once per day, +2 Athletics, +2 Mobility, Stern Gaze, Orisons, Summon Monster 1 SLA (8 times a day), copycat (8 times per day).

Good armour class, good innaitive, use dex for Longbow and Rapier attacks, and my high wisdom gives great lore skills, perception, a lot of Summon Monster SLAs, alot of copy cat, and next level my Wisdom gets added to Iniative.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819