Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Senior Member No One of Consequence's Avatar
    Maybe Toughness as a feat ? :p

Human male Barbarian melee tank build will be my character in this game!

I've been thinking a lot about what I'll play the past few days. It'll depend partly on some things I don't know yet - what other prestige classes are in the game, for example, whether Spell-Like Abilities will qualify to get you access to PRCs like in the regular game as I've played it previously, what specific feats are available (I've always liked the Eldritch Heritage feat line and would love to see them in the game), what types of Aasimar bloodlines (pulling for Garuda here - it's always been a personal favorite) are in the game, etc. And Favored Class options would have some impact, too. I'd like to try a play through with the existing companions, but I read where there are 10 advisor positions, and created characters can't fill those, and there are only 11 companions? So I've been planning on a party of 5 created characters, with one open slot for existing companions for quests related to their stories.

1: 2H Weapon Paladin. Human. Str: 18 (after bonus), Dex: 13, Con: 15, Int: 10, Wis: 10, Cha: 14. My Persuader and UMD guy focused on 2H weapons in melee. Probably won't multiclass unless Holy Vindicator is in..
    2: TWF Fighter 4/Rogue X (pending PRCs). Human. Str: 14. Dex: 20. Con: 15. Int: 10. Wis: 10. Cha: 7. TWF is generally, in pathfinder, not that great. But when stacked with 9d6 sneak attack (L15=8d6, + Accomplished Sneak Attacker) thanks to flanking with the Paladin? Well, on average, that's an extra ~31-32 damage. And using Keen (or having Improved Critical) Kukri, getting Dex to Damage, and Piranha Strike? This character should be nicknamed "Ginsu" or something. And with all those rogue levels, plenty of skill points for Trickery, Perception, Athletics, Mobility, and Stealth.
    3: Fighter 4/Freebooter Ranger X. Garuda-blooded Aasimar. Str: 18. Dex: 18 after bonus. Con: 10. Int: 10. Wis: 14. Cha: 7. Archer. A few levels of Fighter to qualify for Weapon Specialization, but this lovely murder-machine will focus on murdering things from afar and using Freebooter's Bane to give his allies a nice boost vs hard targets, and providing Flanking bonuses with Freebooter's Bond. Lore: Nature, Acrobatics, Mobility.
    4: Cleric x/Empyreal Sorcerer 1(if SLAs can get early access to PRCs, otherwise nvm I'll rebuild entirely) Mystic Theurge 10. Garuda or Archon blooded Aasimar, - stats will assume Archon. Flip Con and Dex if Garuda. Str: 12. Dex: 14. Con: 16. Int: 10. Wis: 20. Cha: 7. Lore: Religion, enough Arcana to qualify for MT, and the rest split between Athletics and Mobility.
    5: Wizard x, Rogue 1, Arcane Trickster 10. (Accomplished Sneak Attacker lets me leave Rogue at one). Probably Human, but I might change my mind and do elf. For now, let's assume Human. Str: 10. Dex: 16. Con: 12. Int: 20. Wis. 10. Cha: 7. Knowledge: World. Knowledge: Arcana. + whatever other skills need covering, it's not like this character won't have the skill points. I'd only be giving up one level of casting (I know I'd be giving up bonus feats. I don't know if I'd be giving anything up from schools until I know what schools are in the game.

I'd like to think this party has a good mix of damage dealing (TWF, Archery, loads of spells), versatility (spells, spells, spells, several skillful characters), at a distance (ranger, casters) or up close (TWF, 2H Paladin). Any more than I've already covered would require knowledge of feats, Prestige Classes, specific mechanics, etc. This is as much as I've been able to come up with so far. Feel free to share your thoughts on it!
    Last edited by mcknightva; 08-17-2018 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Hadn't intended to post yet, wasn't finished

I really like your freebooter ranger. I've been thinking of putting a level of freebooter ranger on the bard companion (Linzi) for the extra buff that fits the bard theme, but I'm not sure it is worth it.

I don't think SLAs will qualify you early for prestige classes, since from what I've heard they've actually ruled against that now in the PnP, and so probably will in this game too. So the Mystic Theurge build might need some rethinking.

Just so you know there was a rules change a while ago. Racial spell like abilities don't qualify for prestige classes anymore.

Thanks for letting me know, that will definitely change the plans for the Cleric. Theoretically, I could still go Mystic Theurge and get Level 9 Cleric Spells if I paired it with Wizard (3/7/10) but that's placing Level 9 Spells at the VERY end game, Level 20. I'd probably just make a dedicated Cleric - MAYBE a level of Fighter for Weapon and Armor Proficiency, re-orient toward a Mid-Line Reach Weapon user with Str: 15, Dex: 13, Con: 14, Int: 10, Wis: 20, Cha: 7. Hard to say. There are some PrC's that might be interesting, but until I know what all will be in, I can't say that I'd be adjusting the Cleric for any of those. I had made my initial build based on the rules as I remembered them from when I last played PF, a good while back. I appreciate the heads up.

It's interesting to think about dropping the Str and Con a bit in exchange for Cha and adding a Level of Bard to the Ftr/Rog and (since that build is heavily dex focused ALREADY and should hopefully end up with a massive dex bonus that should be about as good as heavy armor anyway) sticking enchanted light armor on and pumping a second Arcane Trickster, but you'd be sacrificing 3 BAB (and an extra attack) and a bunch of rogue talents (and you'd get no advanced talents) to do it, so it's something you'd have to think hard about whether or not 4th level spells are worth the loss. It might be an interesting build to try in a different party, but I don't think it'd be a good fit for this group.

TMP, thanks! The build is similar to a character I actually DID play at one point, who at later levels had a fly speed, a swim speed, an adaptive composite longbow, and a trait from Erastil that meant he ignored range penalties entirely for the first range increment past the effective range. "How far are they?" "200 ft." *plink, plink, plink. Dead, dead, dead.*

I agree that Freebooter doesn't seem like a good fit for Linzi, unfortunately. If I was going to swap anything for Linzi, it'd be 3 levels of Rogue for Dex to Damage. With 8 strength, she'll never be a great damage dealer even with composite bows, slings, or thrown weapons, her best bet for contributing to damage is to weaponize her Dex. Otherwise, I'd just focus on building her for support, and keep her away from the frontline. Maybe give her a crossbow?

Actually I feel that maybe mystic theurge would be a good fit for Kingmaker, while you don't get 9th level spells till the very end you do get a million more spells than any other single class caster. Since you control the entire party you're not going to feel as bad about the reduced character progression and with how the game seems to have more fighting in it than PnP the added endurance from the extra spell levels feels like a bonus.

I see your point, Balancer, and I had considered it. Ultimately, it's difficult for me to make that call right now, because I don't know the full spell list to know what I'd be losing giving up 9th level divine spells in exchange for 7th level arcane spells.

Senior Member JulietRosalieMelusine's Avatar
    I was thinking Bard character, but I really want to take Linzi, so I might end up with Druid, Druid/Bard or something Arcane.
    Linzi, Tristian, Valerie, Ekundayo, Amiri and my character druid/bard - but I will definitely need arcane power, so I might change Amiri for Octavia or Jubilost or pick Magus/Sorcerer as my main.

So, a follow-up: Feats! This is a rough idea, based on the "Comprehensive Feat List" thread (I was so sad not to see any Eldritch Heritage) and isn't complete (for everyone... some are already feat intensive...).

1: For the Paladin. 11 feats (odd levels + Human) Power Attack, Toughness, Selective Channeling, Cornugon Smash (seeing this feat in the game made me SO happy), Improved Critical (Falchion), Weapon Focus (Falchion); Lunge; Combat Reflexes if I decide to switch Dex to 14 and Con to 14 so that, with Lunge, there's enough to be worth it. Undecided on the rest. Maybe the Cleave line?

2: For Ginsu. With 10 normal feats, 1 Human bonus feat, 3 Fighter bonus feats, Weapon Finesse free from Rogue, and some bonus feats from Rogue Talents Obviously TWF/ITWF/GTWF along with Weapon Finesse (free!), Piranha Strike, and Double Slice. Duh. But also Weapon Focus (from "Weapon Training Rogue Talent, no less! Assuming it's in.) and Specialization (Kukri), Accomplished Sneak Attacker, Toughness, and Outflank. I'm not sure what else. Sadly, Two Weapon Rend wasn't on the list. That's as much as I think I can build this feat list until I know what's in the final game for feats.

3. The archer. Archery is feat-intensive. And there are specific things with the Ranger's bonus feats (early access, to be clear) we're going to want with this build. I'm gonna want Improved Precise Shot (if it makes it in, and I'm building as if it will because it's a significant issue with archery) at 6, and Point Blank Master at 10. If the Snap Shot line were in, I'd have that and Combat Reflexes. So, I've got to build this character with a specific level-by-level progression in mind with Levels 1-10 being Ranger, 11-14 being Fighter, and the remainder back to Ranger. 1: Point Blank Shot. 2 (Ranger Bonus Feat): Precise Shot. 3: rapid shot. 5: Deadly Aim. 6(RBF): Improved Precise Shot. 7: Multishot. 9: Weapon Focus. 10 (Ranger bonus): Point Blank Master. 11: Clustered Shots, Toughness. 12: Improved Critical: Composite Longbow. 13. ???. 14: Weapon Specialization: Composite Longbow. That's as much as I have, without Combat Reflexes and the Snap Shot line of feats, partly because the rest of the "archery bonus feats" from d20pfsrd are kind of ... meh? And not all the other archery feats are implemented? So... not sure where to go past that.

As for the casters, well, they're easy. Metamagic (Extend being a priority) and Spell Focus for their primary Debuff/Control schools, Toughness to help them survive, and (probably for the Cleric) Augment/Superior Summoning.

As for the Cleric, I've been reconsidering making a Cleric X, Wizard 3, MT 10 Mystic Theurge. Str: 12, Dex: 14, Con: 14, Int: 16, Wis: 18, Cha: 7. Assuming same Aasimar as before. SLIGHTLY lower DCs for the Divine (which is the primary) spells, but amazing flexibility and just a ridiculous number of spells altogether. It'd mean I'd change the 5th member of the party, though. Instead of having another Wizard, I'd make a...

Sorcerer: Either Arcane Bloodline with Eldritch Knight or Sylvan (depends on if I'd be multi-classing). I'll finish up the details later, I'm starting to fall asleep here.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast