Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ideas for a ninja type character build

Anyone have any suggestions on how to go about building a Ninja type character?
    Any suggestions or starting points would be welcomed and appreciated. I am new to the PF game system.
    Thank you

Rogue is your best starting point if you want to go with the feel of a Ninja's debilitating strikes and quick kills. High damage if you are positioned correctly, stealth, and you get Debilitating Injury which screws up enemies attack or defense.

Monk is your best starting point if you want to go with the feel of a Ninja's near-mystical abilities. High speed, lots of little attacks, specializing in bare-hands or eastern weapons, and a bunch of cool abilities like stunning enemies.

Some of the archetypes within those (alternate choices for those classes) might work best for your specific take on Ninjas

Senior Member No One of Consequence's Avatar
    A Rogue/Monk multiclass character might work great. That's what I did with NWN1 and NWN2. Use magic device to be able to use scrolls and wands when magic is useful, and there you go. Dex and Wis to AC, Sneak attack with Flurry, both classes have Stealth and Athletics as class skills, they make for a good synergy. The right mix of levels and choice of archetypes will be up to you, of course.

Yea, I was thinking of suggesting Rogue/Monk, but multiclassing can get a little confusing if you're new. That being said, it can work really well as No One of Consequence describes.

Also, you got me interested, so I jumped back into the character creator to look for archetypes.

Alchemist (Vivisectionist) might also work for you. It's more "The Witcher", so it's a bit of a stretch, but might be close to what you want. Sneak attacks, rogue talents, and little alchemical tricks that help you (and only you) or hurt enemies.

Thank you everyone. I am a veteran rpgpc and p&p player, so multi classing won’t be to hard to figure out in PF.
    AlsoGrifta, I am intrigued by your build. Big big Witcher fan. May look into that ����

Cool. Well Vivisectionist is a self-contained class, so you wouldn't need to mess around with multiclassing if you wanted to create a witcher-esc guy. The only tip I would have if you want to go full Witcher is to take Martial Weapon Proficiency [Can take at 1st level and lets you use Bastard Swords in 2 hands]. There's a whole thing with Bastard Swords being used in 1 hand if you have Exotic Weapon Proficiency, but that's not what Gerald does :P

But yea, that would give you body altering mutagens (1min/level eventually becoming 1hour/level), daily spell-like potions, and good damage sword fighting. No bombs though.

1). You mean two handed not two hands (dual wield)?
    2). Does this build get a lot of pot making abilities or bonuses, Like buffs? Or is more like drinking a lot of pots during or before combat?
    Thanks for info

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Viper View Post
    1). You mean two handed not two hands (dual wield)?
    2). Does this build get a lot of pot making abilities or bonuses, Like buffs? Or is more like drinking a lot of pots during or before combat?
    Thanks for info
    I don't know about "potion making abilities" (I think "Scribe scroll" is in the game, but I don't know about "Brew Potion"), but you'll definitely get a bunch of healing/buffs.

I suggest getting a 1 level dip in fighter, maybe even your first level. That gets you proficiency with the greatsword (the weapon I suggest you use instead of a bastard sword since it's just more damage and you needn't spend a feat), armor up to heavy, a point of BAB (to get you started) and a bonus combat feat.

You lose that level progression on alchemist things (potions, mutagen and sneak attack, but you can "recover" this last one with accomplished sneak attacker) but the goodies you get as a fighter more than make up for them IMHO.

Stat spread suggestion (as a human):

STR 16+2 (Human bonus)
    DEX 12
    CON 14
    INT 16
    WIS 12
    CHA 07

Senior Member No One of Consequence's Avatar
    A Ninja in heavy armour with 12 DEX ? Really ?

Quote Originally Posted by No One of Consequence View Post
    A Ninja in heavy armour with 12 DEX ? Really ?
    Ahah, oh!

I was giving advice for a witcher type character, not a ninja. Although... no one would suspect that the 12 DEX guy in full plate was a ninja, would they?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast