Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Community Manager Berserkerkitten's Avatar

Romance update on Kickstarter

To those of you who don't receive KS update notifications by email - check our our new Romance update here!
    Ye cannae touch this! - Clan McHammer

Senior Member The Half-Dragon Prince's Avatar
    Cool can't wait to get my teeth into octavia if you know what i mean

Senior Member No One of Consequence's Avatar
    Yeah, from what I saw on videos from the Alpha, Regongar and Octavia, either individually or together, have very interesting personality and history. They're one of my high expectations in this game.

Was already revealed, sorta...Disappointed it's been confirmed. Reg I'm pretty sure I'm going to murder off as soon as I can when Octavia isn't looking, Tristan is in a similar boat. Valerie is decent in a fight, but I was pretty blah about her conversation options. Octavia was a smidge better.

Would've preferred something with Amiri or Jaethal on my end, but eh.Hell, even Linzi. I'm very blah about romance from the alpha/beta, but I've seen the writing sharpen as we get closer to release, so will just have to see what the final products look like when the game releases.

Whilst I'm glad that there's romance options available for all genders/sexualites, I'll admit to being somewhat disappointed with the LGBT options. Media has an unfortunate tendency to cast LGBT romance options as the 'abnormal' or 'nontraditional' romances. Whilst there's obviously nothing inherently wrong with those, I personally would like it there were more such romances that were just... very traditional. For Kingmaker, you have Valerie and Tristian: both (comparatively) wholesome and straightforward romances, and the none-LGBT options. Then for Octavia and Reg... well, for starters they're already in a relationship. That's a whole tier of drama, whether or not its on the verges of falling apart already. You're getting them on the rebound. Not so wholesome.

Then there's the polyamory option? Don't get me wrong, I like that it's an option... but it does kind of make me sigh: oh, of course the only LGBT options are also the polyamory option. Whilst I'm sure that it wasn't the intent, and that it will be well written and enjoyable, it's another tick in the box of "LGBT characters are kind of deviants in one way or another". It's a somewhat melodramatic interpretation, I'll admit, but its one that can be made.

All in all, I'm just a bit disappointed that you can't romance the traditionally-attractive, boy/girl next door characters as the same gender. If you want a romance as an LGBT character, it has to be that much more dramatic.

All of this is, of course, coming from a position of not having seen the writing or knowing the full content of the arcs. I could be completely wrong, and end up eating my words. But as it stands, I'm disappointed with the split of same-sex/opposite-sex romances.

Quote Originally Posted by jakl201 View Post
    Hell, even Linzi.
    Linzi wouldn't have been a straight romance option anyway. Her writer is adamant about her homosexuality.

I'm actually good with this (though I still feel that a Harrim romance could have added a lot to my enjoyment of watching other people play the game, and would have liked a Linzi option). Jaethal makes sense as not romanceable given her backstory, and Amiri has... some anger issues.

I'm quietly rooting for a Nok-Nok Bromance storyline to be added through DLC for asexuals who aren't fans of traditional video game romance but wanna explore a deep relationship with a character.

@Glinting - Regongar and octavia are extremely well written. In fact I'd say they're the best written romance options. Valerie and Tristian may be "wholesome"? but they're also pretty unexciting to me. Not the relationship, just as characters. I'm a cis het guy, but honestly? Regongar is the most interesting romance option. He's exciting in a way that Tristian and Valerie are not. And he seems like a pretty low-drama type of guy (unlike Valerie who is given to extremely dramatic gestures like leaving her entire Paladin order and declaring her hatred for the uselessness of Art,a nd is pretty hostile to the idea of both beauty and romance).

Quote Originally Posted by Stratagemini View Post
    Linzi wouldn't have been a straight romance option anyway. Her writer is adamant about her homosexuality.

I'm actually good with this (though I still feel that a Harrim romance could have added a lot to my enjoyment of watching other people play the game, and would have liked a Linzi option). Jaethal makes sense as not romanceable given her backstory, and Amiri has... some anger issues.

I'm quietly rooting for a Nok-Nok Bromance storyline to be added through DLC for asexuals who aren't fans of traditional video game romance but wanna explore a deep relationship with a character.

@Glinting - Regongar and octavia are extremely well written. In fact I'd say they're the best written romance options. Valerie and Tristian may be "wholesome"? but they're also pretty unexciting to me. Not the relationship, just as characters. I'm a cis het guy, but honestly? Regongar is the most interesting romance option. He's exciting in a way that Tristian and Valerie are not. And he seems like a pretty low-drama type of guy (unlike Valerie who is given to extremely dramatic gestures like leaving her entire Paladin order and declaring her hatred for the uselessness of Art,a nd is pretty hostile to the idea of both beauty and romance).
    What is it with characters with high charisma not being a romance option? all so i would like a romance with a succubus in a dlc what can i say i love the succubus if your going to hell might as well enjoy the ride
    Last edited by The Half-Dragon Prince; 09-13-2018 at 10:06 PM.

sorry double post
    Last edited by The Half-Dragon Prince; 09-13-2018 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratagemini View Post

I just meant I enjoyed Linzi's character and banter more than what's available.

Hrm. Trying to think back on cRPG's and for the most part, the shorter races tend to get the shaft as potential LI's. And I could see Jaethal's story arc progressing so that something happens. Her patron is Urgra....thoa...? .....Mind is blanking on these diety names. But she *is* known for hedonism, so who knows?

And honestly trying to hit on Amiri and getting clubbed to death seems more appealing than, as you said, Valerie. She's just so stuffy. Also I don't think my PC's going to get along with lawful characters that much. Too straight laced. Sorta reminds me of Cassandra from DA: Inquisition. Not that exciting.

Senior Member No One of Consequence's Avatar
    Even Cassandra had her good sides compared to Valerie in my opinion. :p
    I actually liked Cassandra in the end. She was even fun at times.

But well, in every game there are characters that I like and those that I don't. Valerie, from what I saw in the Alpha, was clearly on the second part...

Linzi may have potential, she did not talk that much, so I'm not really sure about her. I really liked Octavia and Regongar ; not necessarily individually, but as a couple, they have great potential. I don't want to spoil anything, so I won't say any more about those two.
    Most others did not impress me at first, but I'm willing to try them and make my own choices in dialogues and see how they answer and make my opinion on the writing after that. Amiri was crazy fun in a brow-arching way (and a real cristal canon if there ever was one), Tristian and Valerie bored me to sleep, The furious gnome (Jubilost) bothered me to the point that I would have hit him if he were standing in front of me. Harrim was a classic slightly renewed, the pessimistic Dwarf.
    The Ranger... Don't know much about him, some of what he told about his past seemed surprising, but I cannot remember what. Maybe the way he talked was off. Nok-Nok was not featured, and I can't remember seeing the undead girl either.

In the end, I may dislike Octavia and Regongar and like everyone else, who knows ? :p

So, as a romance, if I had to choose between between two of my favorite characters and two of the most boring ones... mmmh, what a conundrum. :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast