View Poll Results: Are you interested in having Owlkittens in the game?

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I'd Like an Owlkitten

24 33.80%
  • Yes, I'd Love an Owlkitten!

35 49.30%
  • Eh, I'm ambivalent on Owlkittens

7 9.86%
  • No! Owlkittens killed my father. I don't want them in my game!

5 7.04%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Owlkittens!

Community Manager Berserkerkitten's Avatar
    Don't ask me, I know absolutely nothing about any of this legal stuff. If the name is a problem, I'd just call them purrhooters. Or, I dunno, maybe ask them? "Hey, may we please use these creatures and add them to our game in shape of worthless, but adorable and decorative pets and could you please refrain from suing our pants off and totally destroying us in return?"
    Real life is probably a lot more complicated than that. That's why I sweep these forums and don't do any law stuff.
    http://nutiminn.is/kattarshians/

IP law isn't my area of expertise, but usually the nature of a copyrighted work's use is taken into account when dealing with claims. A work which was originally an animal in a video game becoming the title of a game studio probably wouldn't raise as many red flags as an animal in a video game becoming an animal in a different video game. There are a lot of complicated reasons behind that, but that's not something that really needs to be explored in depth?

What I'm not understanding is sued by whom? If owlcats would be made, it might cause problem with who?

Personally, I keep thinking of owlcats as micro-giffons, similar to what pseudo-dragons/house-drakes are to dragons.
    What do you call a dragon who ate a bunch of adventurers? A party-pooper!
    If you Awaken a chicken, is it speaking fowl language?
    What do you say when a treefolk betrays you? Tree-son!

Quote Originally Posted by ForestDew View Post
    What I'm not understanding is sued by whom? If owlcats would be made, it might cause problem with who?

Personally, I keep thinking of owlcats as micro-giffons, similar to what pseudo-dragons/house-drakes are to dragons.
    Well, considering the first entry on google after Owlcat games is for a WoW encyclopedia...
    Having not actually done my due diligence on the matter, I merely have some strong suspicions as to who owns the rights.

Owlkittens have killed 4 out of 66 fathers... At the time of this post.

The lucky bastards! My father slipped on the wet kitchen tiles and fell face-first into a knife in the open dishwasher.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserkerkitten View Post
    The lucky bastards! My father slipped on the wet kitchen tiles and fell face-first into a knife in the open dishwasher.
    was he tripped by an Owlkitten winding between his feet?

Quote Originally Posted by Stratagemini View Post
    was he tripped by an Owlkitten winding between his feet?
    Well yeah, but in the owlkitten's defense, it was only in the kitchen to load the dishw... oh.

I don't think Blizzard / WoW can make IP claims on owlkittens, since we have prior art:

At the latest they were introduced to the world in 1938 with the posthumous publication of "The Children of the Owl and the Pussycat" (the sequel to the love poem The Owl and the Pussycat) - where the children are owl/cat hybrids.

Quote Originally Posted by HenriHakl View Post
    I don't think Blizzard / WoW can make IP claims on owlkittens, since we have prior art:

At the latest they were introduced to the world in 1938 with the posthumous publication of "The Children of the Owl and the Pussycat" (the sequel to the love poem The Owl and the Pussycat) - where the children are owl/cat hybrids.
    So, okay, that may be true. But that doesn't actually affect negotiations all that much. To invalidate Blizzard's IP claim (assuming it is Blizzard) you still need to sue (or counter-sue when they sue you), and they get to defend it. That costs money that would otherwise be in the game's budget and costs time of Devs. So, it's not ideal. At best that's probably a useful arrow in a negotiator's quiver. But for a small studio? On a detail that isn't central to the game? In a legal battle over this no one wins.

Basically, so long as someone thinks they have IP, and acts like they have IP, they have it until someone proves otherwise in court for all practical intents and purposes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast