Why do rations weigh 10 lbs per person per day?

It should be one pound per the rules. I'm fine with them weighing a little more to try to mitigate rest spamming, to include various camping supplies (though consumable tents and bedrolls is kind of dumb) or whatever, but 240 lbs of food for 6 people for 4 days is beyond silly.

They are kind of optional. You can (and should) use hunting in most cases. Yes, you do need rations when you are trying to sleep inside dungeon or other place where there are no wondering wild life (to eat) around.

They are kind of way to prevent people taking, let's say 60 of them and doing some big events at one run. Camping was (one of the main reason) made to prevent "normal" computer RPG "press R, wait for 10sec to screen go black and back, keep on killing" kind of playing.

Yes, I was allso bit concerned at first thinking how you might need to constantly go back at shop and buy more of them, but that is not a case. You soon learn to hunt and use rations only when really need to.
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"

I believe ration includes water

Quote Originally Posted by feralway View Post
    I believe ration includes water
    For 10lbs it's also include fire- and bulletproof container for your bread. :P

Still, you don't have to carry around that much.

As someone mentioned above, it's a mechanic designed to make you go back home fairly often so that in-game time will pass and progress. Time is pretty important in this game.

It may be a small consultation to logic if you wanted a better in game justification you also have nothing else that could represent the weight of the wood your not chopping down, the tents your carrying, the pots/pans/utensles your cooking with, the tools your nominally maintaining your arms and armour with, or any of the other stuff you might need considering you could be out there for weeks potentially. And while this shouldn't be a weight by unit thing it makes to pill easier to swallow.

I can understand the logic of making them heavy. My problem with rations is I can't split them. I have 14 rations, I'd like to only carry 6 around and leave the rest at Oleg's but I can't seem to split the pile. This doesn't seem to be serving any useful game function, just weighing me down with an extra 80 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Pathfinder View Post
    Yes, I was allso bit concerned at first thinking how you might need to constantly go back at shop and buy more of them, but that is not a case. You soon learn to hunt and use rations only when really need to.
    Unless you're low level and in a dungeon. In which case you WILL go back to the shop constantly. Also you can't like hunt up extra food for whatever reason. Amani runs out, kills a deer, you eat like 1/20th of it and throw it away. The next day you're starving cause you have nothing to eat.

The point about water is a fair one (since Paizo thinks you need like a gallon of water a day apparently, which is like 8 pounds of waterskin). It would've been cool to be able to fill up at the tons of rivers and streams one walks past. Or conjure it up or something since there are a bunch of spells in that vein.

Quote Originally Posted by howard035 View Post
    I can understand the logic of making them heavy. My problem with rations is I can't split them. I have 14 rations, I'd like to only carry 6 around and leave the rest at Oleg's but I can't seem to split the pile. This doesn't seem to be serving any useful game function, just weighing me down with an extra 80 pounds.
    Take them all out of the chest and exit that screen. It won’t let you split items while you are interacting with the chest for some reason. You should be able to split the stack by right clicking it from your inventory screen. At least, that’s how I was able to

Thanks, I'll try that.