Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Things you feel are ruining (c)RPG now days...

I recommend watching this video. I kind of do agree, Dragon Age Origins were way better game with more choices then Dragon Age Inquisition with dialog wheel. Allso some deeper thinking of stuff here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2RxbIdnDZQ

I allso do think that one of the main reasons to play RPG games in interaction with others, not just one way to do things, one or 2 options to talk with one person and so on.

Allso why people now days need EVERYTHING to be told out loud? I bet soon we have games where even when you pick up an book there is sound telling what you read from it.

If I can choose to have (rpg) game with 1 000 000 lines of words vs game with 10 000 lines of spoken acted lip synched stuff.. ..I allways want first option.
    Last edited by Pathfinder; 07-18-2017 at 04:04 PM.
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"

One thing I do not like is when developers decide to give non-joinable NPC's three lines of text. This is especially vexing when the RPG in question has otherwise branching dialogues... because no matter what you tell the NPC, you get the same end results in the very same fashion. This problem was present in old school cRPG's. And is especially common nowadays.

To a certain extent I agree. It really depends on the game, though.

I think the dialogue wheel worked just fine in the first Mass Effect trilogy because every player was still playing the same person - Commander Shepard. The developers didn't need to account for you playing an evil rogue because your character was heroic. Even a pragmatic Renegade Shepard was still a hero out to save the galaxy. So the choices in the wheel felt natural for the character.

Fallout 4, on the other hand, is a great example of the dialogue wheel sucking the life out of the roleplaying of a game. I never felt like my character had a sense of self playing that game. The options were so generic and limited that the only time I ever felt interested in my character's dialogue was the Silver Shroud quest.

Fortunately Pathfinder Kingmaker won't have a dialogue wheel.

I really wish people would follow their visions more. Stop letting other people tell you how to make YOUR game. If it's small details that don't affect your story then that's fine. However, way too many people try to please everyone and end up screwing up a game that had a really cool concept at first but then gets turned into garbage because of freaking focus groups.

One thing I found annoying in Pillars of Eternity was the amount of false dichotomies. For instance there was a group of desperate farmers who had stolen some merchandise from a merchant. I could either side with the merchant and get his goods back, but the farmers were so desperate they were willing to die for it. Or I could let them keep it and tell the merchant 'bad luck.' But there was no option to pay off the farmers even though I had a fair bit of money, or by that stage I even had the keep - I could have told the farmers to go to my keep and be my employees, and I could take care of them. I hate it when games don't have what seems like an obvious option to solve a crisis just to increase the drama.

I'm a bit worried from the videos that this may happen a few times in Kingmaker. For instance that rude prat/diplomat in the beginning of the live stream video who says one of his gloves is worth more than the throne room. Where's the option to throw his butt in jail or have Amiri cut his head off? Or, rather, where's the option to confiscate his gloves to help fund the kingdom, if they're worth so much? From reading and watching Game of Thrones even good leaders need to throw down a bit of harsh justice now and then, because even a good leader cannot lead if he's not feared and respected. And it would be fun to see the fallout from this later on as well as how it shifts your alignment.

That said Pillars of Eternity was still a good game, but this was definitely a blemish that lowered my satisfaction a little. It's an unfair comparison, of course, but this seemed to happen much less in Baldur's Gate 1 and 2.

Boring Load Screens.

No, hear me out. Skyrim had some cool Load screens with close ups of interesting models that you could look around at. Other games have had little bits of Lore that you could read on the load screens. Even XCCOM 2 had cool propaganda art that shifted over the course of your playthrough as load screens.

Would it be that hard to make the Load Screens for this game the Books that are available to read in game (but few people do)? Or something else interesting?

Quote Originally Posted by Stratagemini View Post
    Would it be that hard to make the Load Screens for this game the Books that are available to read in game (but few people do)? Or something else interesting?
    I really like this idea. I would suggest giving players the option to remain on the loading screens until they click to continue, though. One of the rare drawbacks of having a fast gaming rig is that good loading screens just flash up onto the screen and, if they contain text you'd actually like to read, you don't have that option.

Sensibilities about how other people play a game… which generally take the form of restrictions and limited options.

Restated… everything that can reasonably be made an option should be an option. If you don’t like the option then don’t use it (i.e. if it offends your sensibilities).

A few things:
    * MMOification of CRPGs. It's not every CRPG, but there's definitely a lot of meaningless content just to be meaningless.
    * The dialogue wheel is a pain, especially if it isn't very clear.
    * Reducing CRPGs down to action games with more dialogue. I think my character build should matter for what decisions I can make.
    * I think limited rogue options has always been a weak point in many RPGs.
    * I think unappealing evil options has also always been a weak point.
    * I think fake choices has always been a weak point.

Quote Originally Posted by NinthPlane View Post
    Restated… everything that can reasonably be made an option should be an option. If you don’t like the option then don’t use it (i.e. if it offends your sensibilities).
    I'm definitely for more options.

Quote Originally Posted by chzandglory View Post
    * I think unappealing evil options has also always been a weak point.
    * I think fake choices has always been a weak point.
    Yes, fake options, where everything turns out the way it would have no matter which one you picked.

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast