Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    When a game promises that every choice you make will have meaning but only like 3 choices actually do. Or when they promise multiple endings but they're the same ending recolored.

I'm not naming names (Mass effect) but that really bothers me.

For me, a major aspect that is ruined in games is the emphasis on easy and understandable (and extremely limited) character options. I particularly enjoy isometric action RPGs (Diablo, Path of Exile, Grim Dawn, etc) - and to me Diablo 3 is too dumbed down. You can count the number of ways you can play a particular class on 2 fingers. Yea there are technically more; but it is the matter of a minute to be fully re-specced.

Character development choices don't matter (enough).

Grim Dawn is a game that hits my needs very well. I love theory-crafting. I can easily build a character and play him/her to level 50+ to test the effect of my choices.

And of course table-top Pathfinder is fantastic. The decade or so of publishing has given a real wealth of possibilities.

I really hope that Kingmaker can capture a good portion of that.

Mass Effect actually tracked hundreds of variables throughout their games, however it really felt like they didn't really mean anything. It might activate an NPC to say a different line of dialogue but I think this leads into my pet peeve:

YOU DON'T NEED TO SEE 100% OF THE GAME EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!!

One of the coolest things in early cRPGs was how your choices opened and closed hours of content. Yes some people might get a little cheesed off and it does take the right mindset to spend hours crafting content that not everyone would see. Baldur's Gate had hours of quests and content that couldn't be seen in a single playthrough because every class had their own unique stronghold and stronghold quests. Your decisions throughout the game could unlock allies to rally in the final battle. Hell for part of the game you could actually ally yourself with one of the Big Bad's and do alternate missions for an entire chapter of the game.

There were ways that you could bypass huge sections of the game with clever playing. You could say the wrong thing or do/not do the right/wrong thing and whole quest chains were shut down. Some quest chains could only be furthered by going PURE GOOD or PURE EVIL and thus it was impossible to see the game as a whole in one play through, hell you couldn't see everything in 5 playthroughs!

That made your choices really matter. That made playthroughs different and meant that while maybe 75-80% of the game was similar at least you had new things to look forward to.

This isn't a novel, this isn't a movie. The whole point of video games as a medium is interactivity but if I'm going to just see the same things the same way (slightly different dialogue doesn't count :P) over and over again then what's the point?
    I know! Start swinging! Eventually you'll lop off the head of someone important and then the good fights will REALLY start!
    -- Lilarcor

Quote Originally Posted by praguepride View Post
    YOU DON'T NEED TO SEE 100% OF THE GAME EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!!
    Here here.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratagemini View Post
    When a game promises that every choice you make will have meaning but only like 3 choices actually do. Or when they promise multiple endings but they're the same ending recolored.

I'm not naming names (Mass effect) but that really bothers me.
    It's a damn shame because, up until the last 10 minutes of it, ME3 was one of the greatest gaming experiences I've ever hard.

Spoiler:

Community Manager Berserkerkitten's Avatar
    ME3's ending wasn't great, but the trilogy is still one of the best damn things I've ever played. Mordin... I had to turn off the PC and step outside for a little while. Then came ME: Andromeda and I hated it so much, the massive rant I wrote about it actually ended up getting me this job.
    Ye cannae touch this! - Clan McHammer

Quote Originally Posted by Berserkerkitten View Post
    ME3's ending wasn't great, but the trilogy is still one of the best damn things I've ever played. Mordin... I had to turn off the PC and step outside for a little while. Then came ME: Andromeda and I hated it so much, the massive rant I wrote about it actually ended up getting me this job.
    I totally agree and I still love the trilogy. I think part of the reason the ending came off as so bad is that the other 99% of ME3 was *so* good.

And you should link to that rant. I'd like to read it. :)

Okay, but it's full of spoilers and lots and lots and lots and lots of swearing.

I'm generally not a fan of stuff getting dumbed-down more and more in order to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. I want my RPGs to feel deep and complex.

Thanks for sharing! A good read. I agree with most of what you put out there, especially the part about people being a bit too harsh on the new squadmates. It's not fair to expect new characters to measure up to npcs you've had the chance to interact with in 2-3 other games.

Isn't it funny how the Witcher 3 has all this additional, optional content but the little mini quests don't feel like they're insulting your intelligence? I see a monster den on the minimap and stop to destroy it because I'm a witcher. Sure, you're trying to find Ciri but it makes sense to stop and help fight a monster in the local village because that's what Geralt would do. And if a quest seems beneath Geralt he always comments on it in a manner that satisfies.

RPGs keep getting dumbed-down because game companies don't seem to value story content as much as combat encounters. It's frustrating.

It's all about the "cinematic experience" these days. It has to look amazing, but at the same time it has to be simple enough that even your grandmother can play it, because sales. You can sell explosions and massive dragons in trailers and ads. Great writing? Not so much. And it always looks good when you can promise a hundred or more hours of play time, even if the majority of these hours is filled with bland, generic MMO-style content. I still can't get myself to try another playthrough on Dragon Age: Inquisition, because I'm so tired of clicking on elfroot all the time.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast