Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBard View Post
    A lot of people were brought here by their tabletop experiences or by fond memories of the old Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale/Planescape Torment games, which ran on totally different mechanics. So most people arrived with expectations they would either be getting something similar to a tabletop experience, or not knowing the mechanics, or both.
    OK, I get somehow not being familiar with the way Real Time with Pause isometric CRPGs work if one was expecting a strict turn based TT adaption. But anyone who has actually played Baldurs Gate or IWD would be very comfortable with this game. The mechanical leap from 2nd ed to 3.x is far less that the leap from BG to whatever Pillars of Eternity was with a lot of familiar concepts, and outside of some elite encounters that require specific strategies (Kangax, Dragons, etc) the same strategies work in all the games. Theres nothing Im doing in this game that wasn't also effective in BG or IWD.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Noob View Post
    OK, I get somehow not being familiar with the way Real Time with Pause isometric CRPGs work if one was expecting a strict turn based TT adaption. But anyone who has actually played Baldurs Gate or IWD would be very comfortable with this game. The mechanical leap from 2nd ed to 3.x is far less that the leap from BG to whatever Pillars of Eternity was with a lot of familiar concepts, and outside of some elite encounters that require specific strategies (Kangax, Dragons, etc) the same strategies work in all the games. Theres nothing Im doing in this game that wasn't also effective in BG or IWD.
    I wish we could like posts, this would get all the likes!!!

Not trying to chest thump at all--I'm only playing the game on normal difficulty, but so far the early game is a breeze on normal through level 5. I'm really not getting comments like this. How much AI do you need to park your tanks in front of a blob of enemies, flank with your dps and micro them a bit, and situationally call for a spell from the back line? RTwP games like this are not difficult if played on the difficulty they were designed around (normal), and at an encounter level within reach of the party.

Yes, you can get in over your head if you aggressively pursue higher level content, but just following the basic quest line has resulted in no particularly taxing challenges thus far. That said, Im playing the game after several patches which may have tweaked some stuff from the initial release.

I realize opinions on this might vary, but it would be nice if we could limit claims about the difficulty to the setting it was designed around. Harder difficulty settings are supposed to be more challenging to play, so observing that they are in fact, more challenging, requiring greater effort and more deliberate party/character builds is kind of pointless.
    100% agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by SinisterXOne View Post
    100% agreed.
    Yes1 The game has become far easier since I manually flank.

Love the game, love the difficult ... i prefer to have a withdraw option to the "hard" encounter only to not load a saved game and return later with the party prepared but no problem BG and other CRPG are the same :D

This is not an argument against preserving the difficulty of the existing difficulty levels at Challenging and above. But we really need an added monster-difficulty level that is strictly core.

Quote Originally Posted by PoohPuss View Post
    This is not an argument against preserving the difficulty of the existing difficulty levels at Challenging and above. But we really need an added monster-difficulty level that is strictly core.
    Exactly! No one's saying to gimp Insane, Hard, or Unfair. We're saying "normal" - which should reflect Core most closely - is jacked up compared to Core, and the Easy modes are so much easier than core they're basically a steamroller.

Quote Originally Posted by mcknightva View Post
    Exactly! No one's saying to gimp Insane, Hard, or Unfair. We're saying "normal" - which should reflect Core most closely - is jacked up compared to Core, and the Easy modes are so much easier than core they're basically a steamroller.
    A "normal" difficulty does not equal so called "core" settings. Normal is whatever makes the game a more or less "normal" or average level of challenge for a computer game of this type, which it does in my opinion. A stat implementation which made the game easier might be closer to the PnP product, but it wouldn't make it "normal".

If you are arguing that normal difficulty is harder compared to your interpretation of the rules, then you're arguing for another "easy" difficulty setting, which I don't personally understand because, as I said, the game is not proving difficult at all on normal difficulty. BUT, people have different comfort levels I guess, and as it wouldn't affect me as long as it didn't make the existing "normal" difficulty any easier, I have no objections. I just think a lot of people would be better served by learning to play the game as it's intended, rather than they way they imagine it should be.
    Last edited by Gelatinous Noob; 09-30-2018 at 05:47 PM.

I don't get people expecting a strict TT adaption. Such a thing can't be done with today's technology. The TT experience depends so much on a human DM that it would be impossible to get anything like it on a computer. The TT experience is preparing your adventure in the week before game day, and then finding the players decide to take a completely different tack than you were expecting or prepared for (or even "worse" completely ignoring your carefully laid hints and clues and doing something else entirely).

Computer RPGs are inherently a different thing, regardless of what rule system they're based on. They have a set narrative, which may or may not be linear, which may or may not have a few paths through it. They give the illusion of choice, but you can't go completely off script as you can in a TT game.

Yes, maybe you can adapt the RAW. But you end up with a CRPG running the RAW in the way the developers have implemented it. (RAW for people unfamiliar with the term means Rules As Written.)

There are things that Kingmaker changes in order to adapt to a live action video game. Things like power attack/flurry of blows being toggled on, crossbows not needing to be reloaded, flanking not requiring flanking, and other QoL changes. When RAW becomes too much of a hamper

But please do not tell me that taking a CR5 adding 4 AC +50 HP +9 Strength +7 to hit and 5 damage to its 3 attacks a necessary change to keep up with the medium. (Looking at you Man Eater Troll )

No-one expects it to be raw but a great deal of these encounters weren't changed in the ways you actually are supposed to increase difficulty for the players. Bloating all the stats just makes the encounters rigged not meaningful in any other way.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast