Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Noob View Post
    I swear I do not know what other game people are playing. The bear treant in the( admittedly patched) game went down in seconds to a 3rd level party of stock NPCs on normal difficulty with no attack strategy other than auto attack, and Im steamrolling the stag lord and all his goons at level 4, not even making use of the NPCs that will help you fight.

Rogues get sneak attack basically at will, even against undead. Doesnt matter if anyone gets incapacitated because they get right back up the next fight on Normal. Pin enemies with tanks. Flank with Barbs and Rogues. Cast spells as needed. Repeat. It's RTwP CRPG 101.

Combat in Baldurs Gate 1&2 was harder because 2nd ed had more arbitrary nasty BS that could happen to you, but allowed you to cheese rest mechanics that this game does a better job enforcing, so it evens out. You're much less likely to be facing encounters at full strength in this game, which was pretty easy to do in BG1-2.

I honestly think a thread on basic RTwP CRPG tactics and 3rd ed mechanics would serve people better than a thread complaining about the difficulty in a game with a fairly low intensity challenge. I swear this isnt intended as a "git gud", but I cant think of any other explanation for the reported differences in game experience. Either that, or some people are choosing to take a much more challenging path through the available content, forcing you to deal with things a level or so before you should.

Give this person a cookie, because they got it right!!!

As for the Stag Lord and his companions. You can recruit Kressle and her three or four bandits (among them one bomb throwing Alchemist), one of the Stag Lord's Lieutenants and an angry Owlbear to fight alongside you. If anything the Fight is far to easy if you choose to get allies.

Quote Originally Posted by Kheiran View Post
    As for the Stag Lord and his companions. You can recruit Kressle and her three or four bandits (among them one bomb throwing Alchemist), one of the Stag Lord's Lieutenants and an angry Owlbear to fight alongside you. If anything the Fight is far to easy if you choose to get allies.
    To this I will also add that the Stag Lord is easily incapacitated by Hideous Laughter. But then I suspect that many players are trying to use low level casters as damage dealers rather than controllers, which is a mistake. I'll forgive completely new players to the system for not knowing this, but not any of the people who are complaining about fidelity to the rules in the same breath with the difficulty of the game. They should know the low level value of stuff like Sleep and Tasha's.

And I forgot something: You actually can poison the Staglord's wine long before you enter his fort. I have not done so for roleplay reasons since using poison isn't something a good character whould do, imo.

Senior Member No One of Consequence's Avatar
    In my experience, save-or-something spells are not a good option compared to half-damage-on-a-successful-save spells, or even better, no save spells.
    In the first case, too often, your spells will fail due to a successful save, leaving your caster with a wasted action. Unlike a fighter-type, a caster does not have infinite attempts at his disposal, so each of them must count.
    At least on an area spell, unless the enemy has Evasion, even successful save means some damage, so it is not a complete waste.

And this is, I think, why many people favour damage-dealing spells. Sleep, Hideous Laughter, Charm spells can be awesome and life-saver, but rely too much on luck. And statistically, given the sheer amount of foes you have to deal with, you will fail too often for my taste.

However, I may be biased becaused I had a DM who was so lucky with his rolls that save-or-anything spells would always fail (and when I DM'd him, it was the same for his characters). Casters had no choice to avoid them at all costs. :p

Quote Originally Posted by Kheiran View Post
    And I forgot something: You actually can poison the Staglord's wine long before you enter his fort. I have not done so for roleplay reasons since using poison isn't something a good character whould do, imo.
    I don't know...probably for a lawful good character you are right, but still you are going to kill him, so why a chaotic good character should not use the poison? To me, chaotic is often "results before methods", opposite to lawful. Honor it's a lawful concept imho.

Quote Originally Posted by No One of Consequence View Post

And this is, I think, why many people favour damage-dealing spells. Sleep, Hideous Laughter, Charm spells can be awesome and life-saver, but rely too much on luck.
    Fair enough, but I'm just saying Linzi and Octavia chain-laughed that guy turn after turn. So, you know. Risk vs Reward.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Noob View Post
    I swear I do not know what other game people are playing. The bear treant in the( admittedly patched) game went down in seconds to a 3rd level party of stock NPCs on normal difficulty with no attack strategy other than auto attack, and Im steamrolling the stag lord and all his goons at level 4, not even making use of the NPCs that will help you fight.

Rogues get sneak attack basically at will, even against undead. Doesnt matter if anyone gets incapacitated because they get right back up the next fight on Normal. Pin enemies with tanks. Flank with Barbs and Rogues. Cast spells as needed. Repeat. It's RTwP CRPG 101.

Combat in Baldurs Gate 1&2 was harder because 2nd ed had more arbitrary nasty BS that could happen to you, but allowed you to cheese rest mechanics that this game does a better job enforcing, so it evens out. You're much less likely to be facing encounters at full strength in this game, which was pretty easy to do in BG1-2.

I honestly think a thread on basic RTwP CRPG tactics and 3rd ed mechanics would serve people better than a thread complaining about the difficulty in a game with a fairly low intensity challenge. I swear this isnt intended as a "git gud", but I cant think of any other explanation for the reported differences in game experience. Either that, or some people are choosing to take a much more challenging path through the available content, forcing you to deal with things a level or so before you should.
    I couldn't beat the original encounter at 2nd level and I trashed it after the patch with the same party. Even the other animals were harder. So you didn't get to play, and can't have an opinion about the original encounter.

The big problem are the difficulty spikes, especially when you meet certain enemies at low level. After level 3 I didn't have much problem dealing with anything.

And since the problem are the spikes, lowering the difficulty does no good because every other encounter turns into a cakewalk.

Quote Originally Posted by Aldaron View Post
    I couldn't beat the original encounter at 2nd level and I trashed it after the patch with the same party. Even the other animals were harder. So you didn't get to play, and can't have an opinion about the original encounter.
    Hence why I added the disclaimer so people could weigh it as they wished.

The problem, though, is that we arent arguing about the earlier version of the game. I fully expect games to polish over time. This one has had several patches that have dealt with some of the rough edges you mention.So what are we arguing about? Got to move on.

Sorry to disappoint but I am one of the bad reviews and an avid Pathfinder GM and CRPG fan. I'm not a huge fan of how they upped the difficulty, I opted for the custom normal mode where everything is 1 for 1 with regular pathfinder (normal damage, crits, standard enemies). Only to find out that the story companions are gimped, the enemies are min max optimized, and making a custom party requires a kings ransom that gets more expensive every level.

As to what encounters are overtuned I have a spreadsheet here of the ones i'm not a huge fan of in Act 1 lot of averages as its hard to guess HP due to overhitting last hits. To maintain my street cred with my players I did eventually beat them all (even those pesky were rats) but it was not a fun experience.

I know I have the luxury in Pen and Paper to adjust the encounters to fit the needs of my party and Owlcat does not have that. But there's a huge disparity as to what you are given and what you face. Some of which I cannot even understand why the change was made. A Cr5 troll is still pretty scary without getting a 4ac boost, 9 more strength, 50 more hitpoints, 7 more to hit, and 5 more damage per attack on a 3 attack iteration.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast