Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Why are there so many bad steam reviews?

Hello, I normally just lurk forums rather than actively write in them. In this case I felt like I have to. Do you have any idea why there is so many bad reviews on steam? I myself was very afraid of the game's scope but found it to be a true gem of a game - the best pc rpg since Baldur's Gate II at least! Everything works together, the game is challenging but doable, writing is good, characters interesting, tabletop rules (which I play ever since they started) are exceptionally well ported to the PC....

So... Why the loads of bad reviews?

Because it's not a casual RPG: it's Pathfinder. And Pathfinder isn't intuitive or simple, it's kind of complex and clunky (which I think is great).

If you don't already know the Pathfinder ruleset, the game is very difficult and many of the mechanics are hard to grasp right off the bat.

Senior Member No One of Consequence's Avatar
    Many reasons in my opinion.
    Abandoned Arts stated one.
    One could also say that it's an old-school game, with a different approach than modern games as to taking the player by the hand.
    It is still somewhat buggy and the difficulty balance does not please some people.
    Probably other reasons too. What do the bad reviews say?

I don't get the bad reviews to be honest. And I don't understand the difficulties some people seem to have. For example: I always follow my rival immediately and the only challenging encounter entails a fireball against my level 4 party at the end of that story arc.

My main character is a Bard (Archaeologist archetype), so my combat abilities are somewhat limited at level 4 and my party is not overpowered or so.

Its for me even right now the Best Game since the Baldurs Gate series.
    I dont take the Steam reviews to serious as i mentioned in a another tread.
    The sad think is there will be no mod support? Imagine how much modders and devs could learn from each other and make this game even better. It would be sooo great for the evolution of this game.
    Last edited by Draxxil; 09-30-2018 at 09:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grgur View Post
    So, i haven't read the steam reviews, but looking at this forum, it seems to me that there are a lot of bugs that can ruin your experience.
    Someone could dislike some design decisions, but having so many bugs in a supposed not-anymore-in-beta game to me doesn't earn good advertising...

Most of the bad Steam reviews I've read have to do with a few things:

1) Bugs and crashes. Not surprising, not exactly in need of discussing. Every game has them, every game gets bad reviews because of them. This game has its fair share of them (I've run into a few glitched quests) but it seems especially vulnerable to them due to a relatively small beta. This isn't unusual for indie games, but it's still not popular with customers.

2) Lack of explanation. People who aren't Pathfinder veterans are upset at how little of the intricate, convoluted ruleset is explained to them and people who are Pathfinder veterans are upset at how much was changed without any sort of explanation.

3) Fake difficulty. As one reviewer put it, there is 'clever' difficult and 'stupid' difficult, and I'm inclined to agree that after multiple TPKs this game tends towards the latter more than the former. There's no out-thinking some encounters - I've run into a pair of elder water elementals (CR13 by the book, not accounting for boosted stats) as a random encounter at level 5 (when a CR9 encounter is considered nearly impossible). You just find the encounter, die hopelessly, reload, and pray to RNG that you never see it again. This is an especially prevalent opinion among Pathfinder veterans, since most of them know full well how the system works and thus can uncover how much it's cheating.

Edit: 3a) The companions. This is a distinct subset of #3 because the modified NPC stats are what make the companions look bad - They are what we at the table would refer to as roleplay builds. Their stats and feats reflect their stories and backgrounds rather than the best combination for their class, and while not perfect they are fairly decent. The problem is that enemies have optimized builds and the difference between a roleplay build and an optimized build is enormous. This is especially noticeable with poor Amiri, who has multiple attack penalties that mean she whiffs a lot and too low AC to survive if she gets targeted. There's also the order that you get them - Going into a story boss fight without a healer is both possible (with certain choices and/or bad dice rolls) and rather sadistic (See #3).

4) User interface complaints. Some elements of the UI are weirdly-designed, counterintuitive, or hard to figure out. Speaking from experience, it took me half an hour to figure out how to spontaneously cast healing spells. Part of this is because of elements not being explained (#2) and other parts are because of what I call 'tutorial numbness' - Too much reading in too short a time means that people tend to skim through it rather than read it because they want to get back to playing the game, and things that aren't explicitly pointed out can get lost in that muddle.

5) Design decisions. The real-time vs. turn-based debate is the most prominent one because ultimately Pathfinder is a turn-based system. With the change nobody really knows how the Initiative system works (See #2 again) or how to properly manage it. It also means that a lot of conventional Pathfinder tactics are invalidated while others become a lot stronger because of something as simple as enemies being able to move when it's not their turn.

This is the basic impression I've gotten for the number of negative reviews.
    Last edited by BobTheBard; 09-30-2018 at 11:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grgur View Post
    Hello, I normally just lurk forums rather than actively write in them. In this case I felt like I have to. Do you have any idea why there is so many bad reviews on steam?
    - I have a feeling that so many people have problems with game or ruleset (they have no idea what Pathfinder is and they choose hard game mode.. ..and complain because it is hard).
    - Allso many have not yet even get they keys ( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...maker/comments )
    - Some have not get they "promised" things yet (may they be Chris Avellone module, bonus items, physical rewards, game walk through and so on) and are not reading this forum, kickstart updates or discord.

So in generally some people just vote bad in Steam because at the day when game was released they did not get all what they wished for. Yes it is childish but some people are like that.
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBard View Post
    5) Design decisions. The real-time vs. turn-based debate is the most prominent one because ultimately Pathfinder is a turn-based system. With the change nobody really knows how the Initiative system works (See #2 again) or how to properly manage it. It also means that a lot of conventional Pathfinder tactics are invalidated while others become a lot stronger because of something as simple as enemies being able to move when it's not their turn.
    I can confirm that this is annoying at times. My worst example so far: The Troll King just crushed my party in my first run. So I restarted the game, redid my main Character's attributes with int 13 because going combat expertise -> improved disarm seemed to be a good way to handle a large creature with a large club...but there is no disarming mechanic in the game as I found out way later.

The only way to handle said fight seems to be hoping the Troll King focuses Valerie's high AC untill you manage to kill him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kheiran View Post
    I can confirm that this is annoying at times. My worst example so far: The Troll King just crushed my party in my first run. So I restarted the game, redid my main Character's attributes with int 13 because going combat expertise -> improved disarm seemed to be a good way to handle a large creature with a large club...but there is no disarming mechanic in the game as I found out way later.

The only way to handle said fight seems to be hoping the Troll King focuses Valerie's high AC untill you manage to kill him.
    There is? I mean atleast for me (Aldori Defender) have disarm as feat + will later get greater disarm and get Disarming Strike (if I remember right) at level 5 (class, automatic).
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast