Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best build for healing?

My impression from playing the beta is that the standard cure light wand abuse won't be particularly practical in this game, so I've been thinking about how best to go about healing. We don't have life oracles, and we definitely don't have Pei Zin practitioners, so I'm feeling like we're either going for Hospitaler paladins or Healing Domain clerics (though if you have other ideas please share).

What would you say is the best healing build?

To contribute to the thread, I'll try statting out a hospitaler

Angelkin Aasimar Hospitaler Paladin
    Str 12 (14), Dex 12, Con 16, Int 7, Wis 8, Cha 18 (20)
    (If you want slightly better stats over having 1/day Lesser Restoration, Agathion-Blooded is good too)
    Skills: 1/level, pretty much always in Persuasion

Feats:Weapon Focus Longsword, Dazzling Display (we're putting all those points into Persuasion anyway), Selective Channel (if possible, not presently allowed in current beta), Extra Channel X forever (again, if possible, not working in current beta).

Mercies: Fatigued, Diseased or Dazed (Dazed is a worse condition but tends to be brief), Nauseated (if possible, otherwise Staggered), Stunned, Confused

Chose those mercies because we get Remove Curse, Delay Poison, Remove Blindness, Remove Paralysis, Neutralize Poison, and Break Enchantment as spells. Might as well choose the mercies that we don't have other means of addressing.

So there's my shot. Please feel free to share other ideas.
    Last edited by howard.reith@gmail.com; 09-23-2018 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Wis must be 8 for this to work

Strong dedicated build and it would do the job and as soon as Mercies are available LoH truly becomes amazing.

Not sure if the low Int is favorable.

Have you considered your parties composition? Which NPCs will you choose and what jobs are you going to let them do?
    Maybe you'll be ending up with others being capable of healing too and if so, would you still be needing that strong dedication?

For my first playthrough I intend on building a custom party. I wholeheartedly agree that if you're using the companions, Tristian is good enough as a healer and that's probably not a role you want to fill with your baron.

I don't think there'd be any difference for this character between an Int of 11 and an Int of 7. As such, since I would't be pumping my int to 12, dumping it to 7 seemed logical.

Since you asked, assuming the Hospitaler does fill this role best, my custom party will be:

Hospitaler Paladin (Healer, Face)
    Fighter/Inquisitor(3) (Controller (via trip), Damage)
    Invulnerable Rager Barbarian (Damage, Hunter)
    Thug Rogue (Damage, Dungeoneer, Stealth)
    Bard (Support, Face, Cook)
    Wizard (Conjuration) (Controller, Encyclopedia)

A full custom party cost a lot of gold (based on the beta), and I'm not sure it's worth it. Otherwise your party composition seems well min-maxed for effectiveness. Not something I would play, but I see the point.

For high amounts of healing spells multiclass Bard/Feyspeaker/Mystic Thuerge.

Quote Originally Posted by Omegaphallic View Post
    For high amounts of healing spells multiclass Bard/Feyspeaker/Mystic Thuerge.
    I see what your saying with the mono casting stat but druids naturally lag a level for their healing spells (unless they changed that from pnp I never specifically checked the druids list) so I think you'd probably be better off going bard/cleric if you wanted that cure spell density. Even with that though late game it's hard to feel good about not getting 9th levels spells..

Quote Originally Posted by howard.reith@gmail.com View Post
    For my first playthrough I intend on building a custom party. I wholeheartedly agree that if you're using the companions, Tristian is good enough as a healer and that's probably not a role you want to fill with your baron.

I don't think there'd be any difference for this character between an Int of 11 and an Int of 7. As such, since I would't be pumping my int to 12, dumping it to 7 seemed logical.

Since you asked, assuming the Hospitaler does fill this role best, my custom party will be:

Hospitaler Paladin (Healer, Face)
    Fighter/Inquisitor(3) (Controller (via trip), Damage)
    Invulnerable Rager Barbarian (Damage, Hunter)
    Thug Rogue (Damage, Dungeoneer, Stealth)
    Bard (Support, Face, Cook)
    Wizard (Conjuration) (Controller, Encyclopedia)
    I do think Hospitaler's are great healing tanks I've found mid-late game the huge jump you get out of getting heal as a 6th lv spell is huge. Cure spells run at ~ 1d8+2 per 2 levels if you casting them at your highest spell slot of a full caster while heal is that flat 10 per level making it scale roughly 6 times better than what you've been working with up to that point plus it has built in de-buff removal because it wasn't good enough already.

I think your composition is fine, you have a lot of aoe potential healing so just try, so much as you can, to have your damage taken spread through your party, your heavy melee focus does support that as well, soothing performance off your bard also emphasizes these same strengths.

If I was looking for raw healing numbers in this party I would probably run a cleric since I had a Barbarian and a melee fighter to try to soak damage with so I might not need the in combat spot healing/tanking the Hospitaler also brings to the table.

That will be a strong group, undeniably. I was thinking about making a custom built group, too. But only for my second play-through.
    Wouldn't you be loosing a skill point? Well, if you don't mind loosing it, I agree, you really can dump Int.

Quote Originally Posted by Cain View Post
    A full custom party cost a lot of gold (based on the beta), and I'm not sure it's worth it. Otherwise your party composition seems well min-maxed for effectiveness. Not something I would play, but I see the point.
    With an exception of the barbarian these are actually all my Pathfinder Society characters. I'm over the moon to have a context in which I can play them all in the same party. I decided I'd rather do a custom playthrough first and then a playthrough with the actual companions second. I figure that'll leave a lot more content for me to discover the second time around, rather than less.

Quote Originally Posted by stephanschewalje@gmail.com
    I do think Hospitaler's are great healing tanks I've found mid-late game the huge jump you get out of getting heal as a 6th lv spell is huge. Cure spells run at ~ 1d8+2 per 2 levels if you casting them at your highest spell slot of a full caster while heal is that flat 10 per level making it scale roughly 6 times better than what you've been working with up to that point plus it has built in de-buff removal because it wasn't good enough already.

I think your composition is fine, you have a lot of aoe potential healing so just try, so much as you can, to have your damage taken spread through your party, your heavy melee focus does support that as well, soothing performance off your bard also emphasizes these same strengths.

If I was looking for raw healing numbers in this party I would probably run a cleric since I had a Barbarian and a melee fighter to try to soak damage with so I might not need the in combat spot healing/tanking the Hospitaler also brings to the table.
    Thank you for this feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Karpophorus
    Wouldn't you be loosing a skill point? Well, if you don't mind loosing it, I agree, you really can dump Int.
    You're right, I guess I would be losing a skill point compared to 10. I think I'm ok with it though.
    Last edited by howard.reith@gmail.com; 09-23-2018 at 03:29 PM.

Remember, good and neutral clerics can spontaneously cast healing hells even if they didn't prepare a spell along with energy channelling. If you want a pure healer, they are the best.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast