Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A question about weapon picks for the Magus / Sword Saint

Hi All,

I've been enjoying the game but as I defeat the temple of Elk. Im beginning to wander if I've made the wrong class / weapon choice.
    Im not looking for optimal build as such and im copying a Pen and Paper idea I've had bouncing around. That of a "Spell Blade"

I've gone Half Elf Sword Saint (currently lvl 2) with an elven curved blade. that is a Dex fighter (Feat 1 is of course Weapon Finesse)

Reading through past posts and looking at the combat logs Ive only once seen a "cast defensive" message. My question is, has my choice of the curved blade been a mistake because its a 2 handed weapon and this is stopping some of the more spell casting features. If so What weapons are people having more luck with?

Research seems to point at Rapiers or Estoc blades might be better

Thanks
    Richard

Rapiers/Estocs are good for the Crit, on the other hand a Kukri is a slashing weapon and can take slashing grace.

I'm using Estoc, as suggested by NodeCommander in his YouTube video

Short answer: Yes, using a two-handed weapon as a magus is a mistake (in PnP, that is; I cannot answer for all the bugs and infactualities in the game anymore).

Estoc is a weird one, since proficiency allows you to one-hand it (if used with martial proficiency, you must use it as a two-handed weapon and cannot finesse it). Same goes with the Aldori dueling blade. Both these weapons should be legal for Dex-to-damage as well by taking the fencing grace/slashing grace feats. In PnP, scimitars used to be the only 18-20 crit, Dex-to-damage RAW option for any single-classed magus due to the dervish dance feat, but that might have changed. I like scimitars for thematic reasons and because they seem to "drop" slightly more often in adventure paths.

Quote Originally Posted by Deekin View Post
    Short answer: Yes, using a two-handed weapon as a magus is a mistake (in PnP, that is; I cannot answer for all the bugs and infactualities in the game anymore).

Estoc is a weird one, since proficiency allows you to one-hand it (if used with martial proficiency, you must use it as a two-handed weapon and cannot finesse it). Same goes with the Aldori dueling blade. Both these weapons should be legal for Dex-to-damage as well by taking the fencing grace/slashing grace feats. In PnP, scimitars used to be the only 18-20 crit, Dex-to-damage RAW option for any single-classed magus due to the dervish dance feat, but that might have changed. I like scimitars for thematic reasons and because they seem to "drop" slightly more often in adventure paths.
    In Kingmaker, since its near the Aldori swordlords, I found that dueling blades "drop" more than scimitars.

Quote Originally Posted by HenriHakl View Post
    In Kingmaker, since its near the Aldori swordlords, I found that dueling blades "drop" more than scimitars.
    That's useful information, thanks! I'm playing around with different kensai builds myself and was stuck with deciding between the flavourful choice of kensai 10/u-monk 2/aldori defender 8 (with dueling blade obviously) or going for a crit build with scimitar/rapier and no fighter levels.

Thanks everyone, useful info and Ive now rebuilt. I went Estoc and did some more reading up on feats its going much better

don't want to cause you to restart again. But in chapter 2-3 there is a hand placed magic scimitar that is tailored to Magi.

Quote Originally Posted by Astareal38 View Post
    don't want to cause you to restart again. But in chapter 2-3 there is a hand placed magic scimitar that is tailored to Magi.
    There is also Stratagem, a dex based rapier in chapter 2

Quote Originally Posted by Astareal38 View Post
    there is 2 hand placed scimitar that makes magus' weapon choice to be scimitar

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

I hesitated between magus and sword saint as well and decided to go magus for more versatility of the spell list. Also, at level 13 magus can wear heavy armor with no arcane penalty. Sword saint looked like it could be a swell DPS, and if you build it right, you can have quite reliable CC.

EDIT : if you decide to go for magus, I advise you to go for a STR build rather than a DEX build. the weapon finess build path requires quite a bit of level before it is effective, while STR build can be effective quite quickly with power attack. Also, more STR means that when you get level 7 and 13, you will actually be able to wear medium/heavy armor.
    Last edited by Patriarche; 03-05-2019 at 05:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast