Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Lotta good info in here, thanks to all who added.

Just looking to confirm this, but it seems like you only get one community per region and that never increases?

It looks to be that way, yes.

@Tommy: This is sound and solid: however, unfortunately, it is only ever about 20% useful. The reason is that other than the single capital city layout, there is only one other town layout that works for these grids. All others are broken up too much. This is a perfect example of how an individual should go about planning your buildings--these synergistic bonuses will make the kingdom. But, it is not a copy pasta solution. I am working on various building layout plans in the game. May post them up somewhere in the near future.

Ultimately, what I notice as I work on this project is that its not just a town setup plan, but max potential is subjective to the different town types. Once I can visualize my building tree based on synergy, I believe I will focus on a tier list of the layouts based on what sort of layouts are possible for a given layout. Example is the third inland village layout seems to be near equivalent to the capital, minus the pier option: it has a 3x5 square grid potential (15 connected squares vs 16); only one of the two river sets allow for up to a 4x2 and a 3x3. The others are multiple small pairs

In conclusion; realistically to answer the thread question; The most relevant question asked at this point is what are the best town layouts. It does not matter where you set up a city in terms of direct location bonuses, but it is impacted significantly by the potential based on the layout.

Quote Originally Posted by lewisjvarn@gmail.com View Post
    @Tommy: This is sound and solid: however, unfortunately, it is only ever about 20% useful. The reason is that other than the single capital city layout, there is only one other town layout that works for these grids. All others are broken up too much. This is a perfect example of how an individual should go about planning your buildings--these synergistic bonuses will make the kingdom. But, it is not a copy pasta solution. I am working on various building layout plans in the game. May post them up somewhere in the near future.

Ultimately, what I notice as I work on this project is that its not just a town setup plan, but max potential is subjective to the different town types. Once I can visualize my building tree based on synergy, I believe I will focus on a tier list of the layouts based on what sort of layouts are possible for a given layout. Example is the third inland village layout seems to be near equivalent to the capital, minus the pier option: it has a 3x5 square grid potential (15 connected squares vs 16); only one of the two river sets allow for up to a 4x2 and a 3x3. The others are multiple small pairs

In conclusion; realistically to answer the thread question; The most relevant question asked at this point is what are the best town layouts. It does not matter where you set up a city in terms of direct location bonuses, but it is impacted significantly by the potential based on the layout.
    Yeah, some layouts are really scattered. But you can save before placing your village and try different spots. In my game I used the 3x3 layout (that looks like a quarry) for all my villages. This layout then evolved to a town layout with 5x3 + 2x2 + 1x1 areas. I haven't played since then, because I want to wait until the game is mostly fixed. If you tried the other base layouts please add infos how the layouts evolve when you upgrade to town. Is there a good layout with a 2x1 area for the mage tower bonus? Because arcane was one of my lacking stats in my current playthrough.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Yeah, some layouts are really scattered. But you can save before placing your village and try different spots.
    So yeah...it seems this has been changed. Did a bunch of work throughout the day, ripped through the later part of act 2. just claimed the southern narls and every single inland village terrain layout is the same. Ever. Single. One. Same with the water layout; next to the lake is the same as every one along the rivers. So it seems that one is now locked into the tile set it gives you for that region.

So I will have to add the other layouts. Although it will be some time. i want to do an in depth analysis with each phase; if its cost efficient to set up a town one way, and then redesign and level buildings when the tile set upgrades, so on and so forth.

I was doing a general pre-theory crafting into the reasoning for the tile setups, as they were deliberate, and the possible balance decisions that went into creating them. The more spread out locations allow for the individual building tiles, such as windmill and watchtower. I have not done the full look into the highest tiers of citycraft yet, but I am aware of it as I explore the games A-B-C journey; its possible things therein will change your decisions drastically. I Don't want to write up a kingdom building guide without having experienced it in its entirety.

On a final note, because this is something that is directly related to Kingdom management: is the problems, and advisers locked. As an...admonishment is the best way to put it; for those coming across this post in pursuit of 'in media res' crisis help; just accept it--problems will arise that you cannot deal with. Opportunities will fly by that you cannot deal with. I have waved at multiple things flying by as the days slip away with absolutely no idle time with any of my advisers, and it does not matter. I watched a potentially lucrative bump harvest go to no effect because the advisers who could respond to it were 45 days into a 60 day project. The kicker; for this opportunity, I only had 7 days to respond to it. Showed up the 24th and the expiration date for the card was the 1st of the month after. I put those advisers on the project that tied them up literally before I started act 2 dealing with the trolls. I have since already dealt with the trolls.

Devs; Love the game. Absolutely love it. I see the balancing decisions made behind not allowing responses to multiple things at a time with a single adviser; it tries to keep the focus on adventuring, and does not give the player much to do with themselves but go adventuring when all the advisers are doing things for the next two months... But the time required to finish many of these projects feels disproportionate and arbitrary. I can walk 60 miles in a day but can't walk the 60 feet from my room to the table and tell someone, 'hey, take care of this too, please'. Maybe tie it to the economic rank, let them be able to handle one more project every 2 or 3 ranks a kingdom has achieved in a stat for that adviser: Jubilost can handle or respond to 2 cards at rank 3 economy, so on. In the beginning, it will stay rough, and maybe I am talking for no reason because this is already implemented, but that is probably wishful thinking, I have not seen anything that indicates this. Regardless, that would, I believe, give much more potential for players to feel like they are making an actual impact on the kingdom, and have some kind of response options when it comes to things going critical. I have run Kingmaker in pathfinder numerous times, and have even played it, and been selected as monarch amongst the players I have played with it in, several times. I have had 2 game masters, 1 on 2 separate occasions no less, (attempted to run the game twice) flip the proverbial table because my kingdoms were insane and hard to challenge; what are you going to do/balance the possibility of a kingdom of pro necromancy animate the giant boar skeleton, restores its corpse, and purifies food and drink on it, then proceeds to skin its awesome hide for funds, and its skeleton for a walking meat rack all the time? Talk about a lunchable when you create a burning skeleton with it. Literally cooks while you travel! But I digress; I know kingdoms are expected to be within certain perimeters when later events happen. Outgrow the main story and things can get really wonky. But it kills me to see these things pass me by knowing that I couldn't do anything about it as of 50 days prior. I am left with the remove a disadvantage, or receive a disadvantage. Priorities to not 'game over', is obviously remove disadvantages, so if I have my advisers sitting around all the time to try and get rid of problems, then none of the opportunities will be realized. Just wish I could either make more informed decisions about my delegations, or more flexibility in trying to reap more potential with more work put into the management of things.

Again, love the game, keep it up, and cheers, owlcats. I know you guys are a small company and working very hard on this. Much respect and appreciation.

Tip 1: buy the blue kingdom resource tiles. For the cost, they all give a good return.

Tip 2: buy new regions as fast as possible. That allows you to build a new village and new blue resources.
    I thought that it would increase the difficulty rolls, so I did refrain for doing that, but it doesn't seem so. Probably it increases the number of events you get, but, as you get better stats you get to recruit more advisors faster.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12