Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Game-breaking bug: stacking item effects on saving/loading

There seem to be several items that keep applying their attribute penalties and bonuses each time you save-load the game. I found out when I noticed my character had 9 debuffs to WIS and buffs to CHA, in my case the source was the Ring of Reckless courage. These effects cannot be removed by any means! I found this thread on Steam which covers this bug nicely:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/64082...3192541360518/

Hope posting it on the official forums will help bringing it to the devs attention!

Yep, please fix asap. First game breaking bug I've encountered. Need to stop playing now. :(

Thanks for letting us know! We're very sorry this happened, and I think this should get fixed by Monday or so. In the meanwhile, I would advise playing on 1.0.5. until this gets fixed.

This is the trade-off of the "hotfixes instead of patches" approach: you get a lot of stuff fixed quickly, but some of the fixes will introduce new bugs. The overall "bugs fixed per day" is generally higher when going down the "hotfixes" route, but the experience is a bit more bumpy. Here's a quote from a different thread:

We are really sorry about this, guys and gals, but we stand by the strategy of fixing 30-40 bugs every few days, even if this means introducing 1-2 new bugs in the process. Not only do the numbers speak in favor of this - such incremental and highly iterative approaches are generally more effective and robust than their counterparts.

Also, as a general rule of thumb, I'd recommend keeping a few different save files just in case and not updating all of them when a new hotfix hits the deck. You can read up on where to find them (and on how to enable logging for quicker bug-fixing) over here: https://owlcatgames.com/content/reporting-bug
    Last edited by k0tarsis; 10-07-2018 at 02:45 AM. Reason: Removed mistaken info about changing your version of the game on Steam/GoG

Thanks for answering.
    Do you know if the fix will repair broken saves?
    Last edited by Morrandir; 10-06-2018 at 09:02 PM.

Thanks for answering.
    Sure thing! I'm doing my best to keep you forum dwellers updated, but it's not very easy at the moment because I spend a lot of time explaining to people how transferring pledges works, and remiding them to check whether they transferred the pledge to their Facebook account, and explaining how to enter their personal account area, and so on and so forth...

Do you know if the fix will repair broken saves?
    No, sadly, I don't.

My personal opinion is that there's an 80% chance that it will, but this is an estimate of a lowly narrative designer\community manager. Our tech guys have not given their verdict yet.

In any case, someone mentioned a fix that involves editing your save games in the first 20 minutes of CohhCarnage's stream today. If the need arises, I'll investigate the fix and post it here.

Well, it there's a straightforward way for a human to fix it, then I'd increase the chance to 90%. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by k0tarsis View Post
    Thanks for letting us know! We're very sorry this happened, and I think this should get fixed by Monday or so. In the meanwhile, I would advise playing on 1.0.5. until this gets fixed (you can choose the version through Steam or GoG Galaxy).
    You cannot actually choose the game version in Steam by default. This requires the developer to set up 'betas' that list available versions. There is no other reliable way to select a version for an end-user.

There are things people can do with the steam console for selecting depots that sometimes work for some games, but not always. I've heard people trying to roll kingmaker back that way having new, novel problems. (it's also super user-unfriendly)

So in short: You guys really need to either exercise more care on what you ship us, or give us the tools to decide what version we play on.
    Last edited by esotericist; 10-07-2018 at 02:32 AM.
    Grease is a party buff.

You cannot actually choose the game version in Steam by default. This requires the developer to set up 'betas' that list available versions. There is no other reliable way to select a version for an end-user.
    Good grief, you are correct. Thanks for pointing this out - late-night updates are even more conducive to brain farts than I thought. I edited the original post to make sure I don't misdirect anyone.

k0tarsis, while we're on the subject - is there a reason why hotfixes are not set up as beta branches on Steam? I think it would help a lot if people could choose to revert to a previous game version in case a new one borks something up for them, as seems to have happened to a lot of players with the most recent hotfix, and on your end you'd have a better chance of catching anything going wrong quicker and fixing it before it gets introduced to the public at large.

Basically save games are toast as some have reported that enemies are affected. One had enemy with over 700 ac. So editing your saves are not going to work.
    https://imgur.com/a/D33acT2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast