Vordakai's tomb - ancient soul eater

Hi all,

I need a bit of tip to defeat ancient soul eaters in Vordakai's tomb. I can easily defeat the 3 that initially spawns but when another 3 spawns, I get stat drained and die. Yes, I caste death ward on my party. Also, why are they getting healed by my healing channel spell? Aren't they undead and shouldn't be healed by heal living?

Do you have trouble with the ones that use the character names? Certain of the soul eaters are "keyed" onto certain characters and only those characters can damage the relevant soul eater. This is generally fine for fight-y types, but someone like Linzi has trouble in those cases and needs to be handled specially with all manner of buffs and indirect support.

No, I'm having trouble after the initial 3 that locks on to characters with name revealed. Even with death ward on, I'm continuously getting drained and eventually die.

I believe that they are demons, not undead.

While you're fighting the first group, bring the rest of your party up to the north-east corner above where you see the first one so your archers and mages aren't stuck in melee with these monsters. Honestly, this is one of the tougher fights in the game, at least in my opinion. Use summoned monsters to give you some time to beat on them, though they won't last real long. Buff to the absolute max, with special attention being paid to Haste/Slow etc. I think I remember Death Ward not working real well either. Protection from Evil, Barkskin, Shield of Faith, Heroism, Bless, Stoneskin (maybe communal?) but anything that increases saves and/or AC.

Soul eaters are evil outsiders (not undead, but not specifically demons, daemons, or devils either). Typically they have a great Reflex safe, but their Fortitude and Will saves are actually fairly low according to the bestiary (Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Bestiary 2).

See if your casters have good AOE control spells (or single-target ones, in a pinch).

They do have several immunities (critical hits, paralysis, poison, sleep, stunning); so avoid using those.

Death Ward will not protect you from stat drain, only negative energy effects (ennervation, channel negative energy, etc)
    If you can I'd also suggest getting into a corner and having one melee with a high baseline fortitude save wade into melee.
    Buff that melee with Constitution Enhancements (fort saves), Heroism, Bard Song, Resistance, Blur, Displacement, Haste... etc.

Essentially get that Fort save as high as possible and you'll prevent the character from dying due to WIS drain. Then you just have to worry about their health.

Thanks so much for tips guys!! :)

I turned it down to easy because 2 on two pc and six more is redonk.
    And somebody still died anyway.This encounter is on my list of please look at difficulty spike.

Its more that it challenges you in a way you haven't had to deal with up to this point. Fortitude Saves.
    That being said I did not like this encounter. I had to reload about 6 or 7 times on normal with one party setup simply because I forgot that Death Ward didn't protect against stat drain.

This fight is unwinnable in my game, as there is one soul eater (the first one - the one that summons all the others) during the second wave of attacks (after I've killed the two that locked on to characters with names revealed) that no one in my party can target. The very second it becomes hostile and attacks me, its circle goes dim (that is, a dimmer red than that of the other soul eaters). AoEs can hit it, but unfortunately not hurt it.