Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My thoughts and a request (CR)

I like the game so far, but I do have a request about encounters while adventuring. I've noticed that once in a awhile the game throws a curve in terms of monster challenge rating. And depending on how you look at it, for some people it can be a turn off and for others it can present a challenge and forces them to find the right strategy to beat the encounter.

We all came face to face with this situation, while your dungeon crawling, your able to find the right strategy to beat the type of monsters your faced with in that particular dungeon (still a moderate challenge). But now you face the ultimate challenge and have to overcome the boss only to find out the hard way that what you used before as a strategy doesn't work anymore and you wiped and forced to start over. Sometimes even challenge the boss a few times more until you get it right.

Now for some that's okay, and for others that is a turn off because they keep dying and get the feeling that the game cheats you. I'm the kind of a person that can accept dying from an encounter because the only person who I blame is me and not the challenge rating of the boss (unlikely to survive). Meaning that I used the wrong strategy with an encounter that is challenging but possible to overcome. It's my mistake so I accept the loss.

But if you have a boss, that is 2 or 3 levels higher than you and no matter what strategy you use for that encounter, your still going to fail, In this case I'll get turned off too! Some people love not to know the challenge rating of a monster/encounter, the suspense could be thrilling but others love to research and prepare in advance so they know what their facing. So many times, if I knew the challenge rating of an encounter that is too tough for me (2-3 levels higher) I would not enter combat period until I get stronger.

So finally this is my request, have an in-game option to show the CR level of individual monsters in the game compared to the level of your party. That way we don't have to google it on different D&D sites under bestiary to see what level the monsters are? Again, it will be an option, some people like it and some not and turn it off/on. I think it will be a good feature and improvement for the community. I remember the original neverwinter nights had this feature. This will solve a lot of issues regarding difficulty level settings. So if the stats of the monsters are buffed up, you will know before you get into combat.

Yeah the encounter system is completely broken. Most encounters are either to hard or two easy. Few encounters are actually level appropriate. It really needs to scale based on the party level.

For kingdom building I hope there will be more type of tile such as mountain tile, forest tile, desert tile, etc. Each tile will have spesific building such as, quarry, mining tent, outpost, hunting tent, oasis, grotto, etc. Special building can effect item production (build mining tent in city within region that have iron vein will make shop sell better weapon and armor, etc)

I kinda like the randomness of the encounter system.
    Personally I think this is how it should be.
    Region specific encounters with a little randomness, party level should be irrelevant, however more powerful creatures less likely encountered (off course) but still regional specific.
    I remember meeting two elder water elementals when my party was level 4, oh how I laughed (after I had calmed down a little).
    But each to their own.

Not related, but when does a person get full posting rights? I am severely restricted with regards to posting options (I can reply, but only in certain sections, and that is it).

I wanted to post about a minor bug. When you rest in your bed room in the throne room, it will not remove death's door from a companion.

I agree that this is a problem. Alternately to displaying the CR, maybe in that window between first "Spotted the enemy" and "Combat Initiative Roll", one of the NPC's could warn us if we're going into a particularly difficult fight. "That Man-Eating Troll looks like it might be a bit much for us," for example.

A related issue comes up in the random encounters: when you have "Spotted the Enemy" and are asked whether you want to Fight or bypass the encounter, we aren't given any information on which to make that decision. It'd be nice to know. Further, it feels rather off when the resulting encounter is an ambush of some type (party starts surrounded by Bandits, for example). I said "Fight" -- but maybe we could be the ambushing party?

Displaying the CR wouldn't be needed normally.
    It should be possible to gauge what the opposition is like by looking what kind of creature we face (kobolds should be weak, dragons should be strong, and so on).

The problem, which has been relayed COUNTLESS time, including during beta, is that the stat of all creatures are ridiculously inflated, breaking all kind of systems which weren't supposed to work with such numbers.
    Most problems about balance would be instantly fixed with a single "core stats" in the "enemy difficulty" options. Just pressure on, guys.

Senior Member No One of Consequence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Displaying the CR wouldn't be needed normally.
    It should be possible to gauge what the opposition is like by looking what kind of creature we face (kobolds should be weak, dragons should be strong, and so on).
    Judging by appearances is usually deemed a mistake. I like being surprised, meeting a Troll who's more (or sometimes less) than your usual Troll-Joe.
    I DM'ed a game last year, with Kobolds. Some where the usual weak Kobolds, but most were a little more than Kobolds. There was a story behind, a reason, and the players took it in stride. They even semed to like it, though they ended up not fighting most of the tribe and they became allies.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    The problem, which has been relayed COUNTLESS time, including during beta, is that the stat of all creatures are ridiculously inflated, breaking all kind of systems which weren't supposed to work with such numbers.
    Most problems about balance would be instantly fixed with a single "core stats" in the "enemy difficulty" options. Just pressure on, guys.
    That is a problem indeed, but not as much as you seem to imply. Some corrections here and there are needed, I agree, but the "core stats" would need too much overhaul of the balance in the game, changing too many things, they would need to rethink most of the battles.
    Let me remind you that Core pnp encounters are led by an intelligent DM, who can adapt the difficulty, react to his players' tactics. We don't have that in video games, and that's why all video games inspired by pnp RPGs inflate their creatures compared to pnp. If they don't do that, it's a breeze for anything more than a casual player.

Something in between would probably be largely enough to keep the challenge for those who like it, and make it moderately challenging on normal difficulty, while leaving it easy on story mode.

That's my opinion.
    Last edited by No One of Consequence; 10-23-2018 at 08:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kothyxaan View Post
    I kinda like the randomness of the encounter system.
    Personally I think this is how it should be.
    Region specific encounters with a little randomness, party level should be irrelevant, however more powerful creatures less likely encountered (off course) but still regional specific.
    I'm with Kothyxaan on that. I like the feeling that I must adapt myself to the world, rather than the world carefully tailoring itself to me.

So Region-specific + randomness is my preference too. I didn't have a problem with it except maybe at L1 or 2 where I got over-matched with something. After you get a little ways into the game, you have enough ability to defeat even the difficult end of the random encounters, so long as you don't go adventuring in places you are way under-leveled to deal with anyway. And I like that you can get to dangerous places, if you try.

Quote Originally Posted by No One of Consequence View Post
    Judging by appearances is usually deemed a mistake. I like being surprised, meeting a Troll who's more (or sometimes less) than your usual Troll-Joe.
    I DM'ed a game last year, with Kobolds. Some where the usual weak Kobolds, but most were a little more than Kobolds. There was a story behind, a reason, and the players took it in stride. They even semed to like it, though they ended up not fighting most of the tribe and they became allies.
    Having variations isn't a problem. The problem is having ridiculously bloated stat. A kobold that is stronger than average, maybe two or three levels higher, better gear and maybe +2 on all stat (and called "elite kobold" or something) is all in-line with how the world works. It's still in the ballpark of what a kobold might be (just like a very big dog is still a dog).

The problem, as I explicitely spelled it out, is that the stats are RIDICULOUSLY bloated. We're talking about goblins having 22 agility (when they would be about 15 or 16 on average). We're talking about a leopard having the same HP as a dragon. We're talking about owlbears having not one or two more levels, but a whopping 8 to 15 higher BAB than they should.
    Using "normal enemies" should give us foes which are roughly in the ballpark of what Pathfinder creatures should be. Instead, we need to have "weak enemies" activated to have "still much inflated stat, just less ridiculously so".
    Let me remind you that Core pnp encounters are led by an intelligent DM, who can adapt the difficulty, react to his players' tactics. We don't have that in video games, and that's why all video games inspired by pnp RPGs inflate their creatures compared to pnp. If they don't do that, it's a breeze for anything more than a casual player.
    You can keep the inflated stat for the higher difficulty settings. I don't see anything in what you say that prevents the creation of a "core Pathfinder" settings where the stat are much closer to what they should logically be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast