Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhaeg View Post
    I completely agree with halcyon8705. Calling someone else's contribution to this thread "overly obvious commentary" doesn't make it that... it's just not a very nice way to try to knock someone out of the discussion. He gave a very reasonable and polite response, there's really no need to arrogantly dismiss him.

The hell he did. All I did was ask if the OP was *aware* that they could disable the active management if they were finding it too troublesome. I guess I need to state yet again here that I *AGREE* with many of the points the op made and said so.

What I got in response was a douchey admonishment for trying to dismiss someones opinion or pretend there wasn't a problem, after I already AGREED there was.

This opinion has been expressed many times before now. I hope nobody here is of the opinion this point of view is in any way novel or special. It was a day one complaint, and a frequent source of criticism in reviews. Im sure the devs are aware of it. But a major overhaul of the management mechanics isnt a fix that will come quickly while they're still working on bugs so I just offered the best advice I could.

Honestly this community is the worst. Im never going to finish this game now, and it isnt because of the problems with the game which I mostly enjoy in spite of them, but just association with idiot responses like this. Thanks for ruining it for me.

I'm only posting to support the OP. I have nothing to add other than this is a solid piece of constructive criticism.

My hope is that the devs move quickly to make improvements like the ones suggested here...and I'm optimistic that they will based on their performance supporting and improving the game so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Noob View Post
    The hell he did. All I did was ask if the OP was *aware* that they could disable the active management if they were finding it too troublesome. I guess I need to state yet again here that I *AGREE* with many of the points the op made and said so.

What I got in response was a douchey admonishment for trying to dismiss someones opinion or pretend there wasn't a problem, after I already AGREED there was.

This opinion has been expressed many times before now. I hope nobody here is of the opinion this point of view is in any way novel or special. It was a day one complaint, and a frequent source of criticism in reviews. Im sure the devs are aware of it. But a major overhaul of the management mechanics isnt a fix that will come quickly while they're still working on bugs so I just offered the best advice I could.

Honestly this community is the worst. Im never going to finish this game now, and it isnt because of the problems with the game which I mostly enjoy in spite of them, but just association with idiot responses like this. Thanks for ruining it for me.
    In other words you, willingly, indulge and debate so-called "idiots", and thusly the game is ruined for you, and you will never finish it? Pitiful.

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Noob View Post
    Don't let the community get to you, eh? You'll always get discussions like this. I used to play League of Legends, I could give you some real community horror stories...

Mostly I think we all just need to calm down a bit. Things get said, people get offended, at the end of the day I don't think any of us are really out to piss people off. it's the internet, and some of us can be a little tone-deaf. Brush it off and move on. I for one didn't mind the Auto suggestion, I just don't trust it to not ruin everything somehow.
    Last edited by BobTheBard; 10-12-2018 at 08:19 PM.

The most important thing to take away from OPs initial post is that there is no really good incentive to construct buildings in your settlements.

"+1 to Economy and Stability." - as a once-off benefit this is nearly meaningless.

Some alternatives - all focused around Economy, extend for other stat types:

1. Changing to a "+1 Economy and Stability each month" would be meaningful, and justifies the increasing cost of building multiple copies of the same building.

2. Add extra abilities to structures. E.g. "Shop - grants ability to gain +1 Economy by paying 5 BP once a month" (each additional shop allows for an additional use of the ability)

3. Add more projects that provide rewards based on structures. "Edict of Prosperity: Cost 100 BP - gain +5 Economy for each Shop in the Kingdom." (Project becomes available again 6 months after the last time it was completed.)

4. Each shop built extends the inventory of merchants around the kingdom (staggered across at least 20 inventory extensions).

On the main topic, here are a few things I really think could make kingdom management easier.

1) Documentation, documentation, documentation. Even if it's something as simple as putting all the tutorial pop-ups in the encyclopedia, that'd be a start. More in-depth analysis can be done by people and will inevitably be disseminated, but right now even the basics aren't there. You have the text, you have the instructions, you just need to make it accessible.

2) Shorten the length of time that upgrading a kingdom stat takes. 14 days is a long time to get locked out of being able to act on anything, and when things really start hitting the fan it's a long time in general. I've already noticed that most problems and opportunities that pop up in the last week of the month will roll over to the next one (thank you) but the time period for upgrades still feels too long given it's the main way you improve your kingdom.

3) Change how Projects work. Projects are a unique kind of thing for your kingdom in that they never expire. They represent long-term projects your advisors can work on. Most importantly, though, they represent things that your advisors don't need to finish all in one sitting. Allow for projects to be started and stopped at will with no loss of progress, keeping the advisor available to deal with a problem if needed but letting him work on a project if they have nothing else to do. They take a very long time - 60 days is a long time to lose an advisor - so being able to space them out in this fashion will greatly help in completing them.

4) Let opportunities be canceled whenever. I've become hesitant to accept opportunities lest a problem occur that only that advisor can solve and I wind up losing more than I gain. I should be able to pull my advisor away from an opportunity to deal with an actual problem, even if it means losing the opportunity.

5) Town development needs to have more of an impact. Right now I feel there is no real need to build buildings, since I need that BP for other purposes and town buildings are simply an expensive way to get stats. There should be a bigger reward for digging into the town management system than there currently is, and I definitely think town development needs a way to eventually pay for itself. Right now it's a high initial investment for a small one-time gain; I'd like to see it move more towards a high initial investment for a larger gain over time.
    Last edited by BobTheBard; 10-12-2018 at 08:05 PM.

I agree with most points save the towns being an investment.
    Building the craftsmen workshops is an investment.
    Building buildings in the towns is a waste of BP that is desperately needed in other areas.
    The towns also have almost no impact on game play aside from an extra place to rest with no ration cost and allowing you to recruit craftsmen.

I wish that towns had a deeper impact on game play. Having shops generate extra revenue, Building roads which reduce travel time between towns/capital.
    As is stands you pretty much just toss out a + to resolving problems in this region building and a workshop or two and leave em.

I'd love this topic to be constantly on the first page of the forum until we get a big patch with an overhaul of kingdom management.

Right now, it's a disaster. For example, it took me several in-game weeks and some googling to find how to build a village in the outskirts region that I claimed. The quest just said "build a village", without explaining how.

It is still unclear what and how and why I should build in villages. A lot of players now think that "nothing" is a great answer, because losing BP is not worth a puny one-time bonus.

One-time bonuses on the adventure map for 15 BP each are obviously mispriced.

Garess tells me he wants to be a Warden in my kingdom. There is no option to assign a Warden. Does the game explain what to do to get an option to assign him? No. I end up just waiting and hoping it will be figured out somehow later. This is basically a motto - if something is unclear about kingdom management, it's either "google it", or "wait, may be something will happen in game to fix it". sad.
    Last edited by Mirrinor; 10-14-2018 at 12:13 PM.

I found most of that pretty intuitive and straight forward? enough even that i ticked the make tutorials go away.
    So I dunno. Can't think of another game close enough that would have prepared or whatever me so I found it easy?

I 100% agree with the OP. This is the first single player RPG that is actively trying to give me a burn-out. There are time limits on everything, even silly things like finishing a companion quest but not doing the final talk before some arbitrary timer runs out fails the quest. Why? Making an open world to explore and then punishing to players for exploring through the kingdom management system. Why?

I really think some design decisions should be reevaluated and if possible fixed before even thinking about DLC or sequels. It's a shame because I really love the stories and locations in this game but I feel too stressed to really be able to enjoy them. At some point I thought I finally got some time to do some advisor upgrading but no, then the (bugged) companion quests started popping up followed by the (bugged) artisan quests. No time for a breather at all. And like the OP I don't trust the auto-resolve feature for kingdom management, if it fails somehow that will be 158 hours down the drain.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast