Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1

    Are Paladins "fitting" in the campaign ?

    Do you guys think Paladins fit in the campaign ?

    It seems to me that a Paladin will be conflicted with the companions, seeing their different alignments.

    I am tempted to try one.

    What do you guys think ?

  2. #2
    I think the problem with paladins from the beginnings of D&D up to right now revolves around the problems with an alignment system. People get entirely too hung up on how classes like paladins should act because of it.

    I think of paladins in the same way I think about Superman; they might not always be right, but they are always trying to be good. That would extend to their companions as well. Would a paladin travel around with a notorious criminal, well that depends. Is said character still committing crimes? What was the motivation or circumstances of their crimes? Was a higher power possibly involved in manipulating them like Jaethal? Do they have a dark streak as a result of terrible abuses like Regongar?

    I think the context of who they travel with and why is important, I also think that a paladin could be a calm, confident, and ultimately good figure, who would try to guide his companions to improvement instead of a crazed and uncompromising religious zealot as they are too often portrayed.

    Consider some of those points maybe if you make a paladin and you might try to do what I do...always aim to do the greatest good with your choices.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Argantis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    117
    I usually end up playing a Paladin or Monk, both always Lawful Good. The story line does have challenges there with the NPC's. Almost all of them have fatal flaws that would be frowned upon by a Lawful Good character, especially a Paladin. However if you take the approach of a benevolent deity then conversion could be a just and righteous platform to carry any non-evil party member and with some of the deities even the Evil non-player characters are worth redeeming over slaying.

    In my opinion though many of the NPC's have build flaws that make mercenaries more attractive in the long run. So you could pretty much make anything work with that. You just don't have the NPC story lines. That being said, you will always have compromises on that front should you want to complete all of their story lines.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperPearce View Post
    I think of paladins in the same way I think about Superman; they might not always be right, but they are always trying to be good. That would extend to their companions as well. Would a paladin travel around with a notorious criminal, well that depends. Is said character still committing crimes? What was the motivation or circumstances of their crimes? Was a higher power possibly involved in manipulating them like Jaethal? Do they have a dark streak as a result of terrible abuses like Regongar?
    I really this description of how a Paladin would act. I'll be sharing it with my tabletop group.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Kender View Post
    I really this description of how a Paladin would act. I'll be sharing it with my tabletop group.
    Thanks Kender, I'm glad you liked it! If you're interested in reading more about the version of Superman that I alluded to in my response, check out All Star Superman, written by Grant Morrison. If you do check it out, there's a sequence in his story where Superman saves a young girl from jumping off of a building that is possibly my favorite piece out of all of the story, and it's also a really great summary of who Superman is.

  6. #6
    Be a paladin of seranae, travel with criminals as your way of redeeming them and bringing them to the light.
    Or just a paladin of anyone, and you're travelling with them for the Greater Good or with a personal goal/oath/belief to accomplish (like say, bring order and peace to the stolen lands) and then everything else comes second?

    Paladins have some pretty useful abilities, they can remove fatigue which is a bigger deal in the game than it is in PnP
    I just wish there were more gods to choose from for them.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Naliamegod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Beijing, China
    Posts
    156
    Paladins of Shelyn are about redemption and not taking the first blow

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Posts
    79
    Be careful I saw a post about someone who tried roleplaying their palading and fell as they were no lawful good so they had to play lawful stupid instead to avoid falling even though that was actually not in accordance with their gods values.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Senko View Post
    Be careful I saw a post about someone who tried roleplaying their palading and fell as they were no lawful good so they had to play lawful stupid instead to avoid falling even though that was actually not in accordance with their gods values.
    This is a good point. In my current playthrough I'm playing a paladin. As I am always taking the good dialogue choices however I see that I am drifting dangerously towards Neutral Good. I think the alignment choices in dialogue are yet one more thing that needs to be balanced...or modded.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperPearce View Post
    This is a good point. In my current playthrough I'm playing a paladin. As I am always taking the good dialogue choices however I see that I am drifting dangerously towards Neutral Good. I think the alignment choices in dialogue are yet one more thing that needs to be balanced...or modded.
    That is what I am afraid playing as a paladin, I have not seen many lawful good options so far..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •