Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Seriously, give us more time to Kingdom-Build.

I'm not dawdling or resting a dozen times when out adventuring, and yet I have no time to deal with the massive number of Project cards that keep piling up. Kingdom-building was a big part of the tabletop campaign, but it feels like this game wants me to be disappointed with how much I can't get done. I either have to accept that Events will kill my barony's stats (and that I'll get worse outcomes for main quests, assuming they don't fail outright) while trying to tackle some of these cards, or I ignore them and that's no fun either. Give us at least a couple months, if not five or six, in between most main quests. Sure, maybe a couple main quests are back to back, but please let us otherwise enjoy building our kingdom!

Attachment 55

(no idea if this attachment will work; Preview Post wasn't helpful)

The attachment doesn't work.

About your post, I agree. The main problem is that the most important thing is to raise your rank in the different stats and that require 14 days.
    I always do that when all the problems have someone following them, but more than once I had a new problem start and fail while doing a rank up.
    Sometimes it happens even if you start the rank up at the beginning of the month. Apparently, there are problems that don't give you a month to be resolved.

Oh fuck yeah, so much this.
    The Kingdom aspect is pretty interesting, but it's just SO constrained by time, it's more frustating than anything.
    The amount of time required for many tasks, combined with the piling of events that appears even very late in the month, means that you either save-scum to the death (and even THAT is not a guarantee...) or just see opportunities fly by and problems wreck your lands without any ability to take a decision.

Two of the most egregious examples I've lived through :
    - Two troubles in the last three days of the month, which so mean they'll expire and be considered "ignored" nearly instantaneously, so if your advisors were already on a task, you're out of luck.
    - FOUR troubles and one opportunity popping by the middle of a month, all only being able to be tasked to either one or both of the SAME two advisors. One of them being in the last 20 days of a 60 days project. It means that I mathematically can't do better than eating three failures, with no amount of planning or good play entering in the equation (and that's only if I manage to immediately re-assign the sole advisor able to deal with these tasks the very moment she finishes the first one).
    This is just infuriating.

There is, on the whole, several design choices/flaws that drag the kingdom management from "pretty fun" to "insanely frustrating" :

1) Gaping lack of information. There is so much information that isn't shared with the player, that it feels like grasping through fog. It could actually be fun (finding stuff through experimentation and the fun of discovery are pretty nice), if the consequences of failure weren't so punishing and long-lasting. There is meta-knowledge that would change the game (knowing what is an actual crisis that won't go away and what is a regular problem, knowing what is "on the clock" and what isn't) and there is things not explained or explained in passing (why is the country management icon sometimes visible on the travel map and sometimes not ; when do you get secondary advisors posts ; how can you upgrade your village ; what affects the morale status of the country) and countless others.

2) The excessive time required for many projects.
    Two weeks to upgrade your rank in a stat, knowing there is eight stats and ten ranks each, means that to max it out, you need 160 weeks. That's 160 weeks ONLY upgrading (ignoring others projects, no adventuring, no threats and no opportunity). That's more than three years, on a game that is, according to players who finished it, about four years long. Are you telling me nobody noticed the problem ?
    Also, many projects take 30 or 60 days. Which is especially critical considering the next problem :

3) Advisors (and, more problematic, the player) are completely locked out when assigned.
    Seems that nobody can either multitask or even prioritize. Once your advisor starts to write letters to people in another country, he suddenly becomes completely locked in his world and can't react to the monsters rampaging to the country. You can't reassign him to another, more urgent task, you can't put his task on hold. So if anything randomly happens once you've started a long project (like the 60 days ones), then you're basically fucked.
    Considering the avalanche of events you get each month, at completely random intervals and without any way to know beforehand, it's just playing russian roulette. Not a great design.
    And all that is for advisors, you can hopefully still bring with you in adventure. The most egregious and infuriating aspect is when your own char starts to work on improving the fiefdom. Once this is launched, seems that he's buried into a secluded alternate reality, where nothing can reach him and he can reacts to nothing. Invasion ? Daemons ? Monsters in the land ? Advisors having finished their task and twiddling their thumbs while there is seventy-five events and projects to deal with ? Don't care, I'm locked in my room with Shandra listing all the sexy managerial stuff to change. Seriously, what the fuck ? Can't I take a bathroom break once a day and steal five in-world minutes to tell Regongar "hey, by the way, could you deal with these bandits now that you've finished impaling rebels ?" ? Or perhaps put the upgrade on hold while dealing with the giant clubbering people outside my door ?

The idea of leading a fiefdom is really nice - I love roleplay, but roleplaying an actual leader is nearly unheard of. Seeing my barony growing and getting stronger, even if it's just some numbers and a few graphics update, is pretty rad. But the game just has too many problems which are both frustrating and absurd, it makes it too often a chore. Allow us to enjoy the game, please !

The events usually need to be handled by the *end* of the current month.
    So if you're doing your 14 days and it overlaps the month rollover, you're likely to have something pop late and be an auto-fail.

I try to keep my kingdom upgrades to the first 1/2 of the month.

I haven't gotten to try any kingdom building yet but I have a question: can custom NPCs you recruit through Anoriel Eight-Eyes become advisors and be given kingdom building tasks? If so, that might help with the advisor shortages.

Some replies to Akka comments:

Point 1)

a) The Kingdom events are divided into:
    - events/opportunities and those are on the clock, generally the end of the month (sometimes they stay till the end of the following month)
    - projects: those normally stay forever unless a specific event ends them.
    - regions. those are opened up by storyline events. They aren't on the clock.

b) The management icon is visible on the map when you are within the Kingdom borders.

c) I think that the secondary advisor's post becomes available when your relevant stat is high enough or the primary stat rank is high enough. Currently I am in no position to test what of the two hypotesis is the right one.

d) From what I have seen, you can upgrade your village when the kingdom expands and you build/acquire new villages. From what I recall I was able to increase my capital to town when I acquired the 3rd region, a village to town with the 4th or 5th region and my capital to city with the 6th or 7th region. Probably it is 3/5/7 regions.

2) From what I recall, in our tabletop game, we spent at least 7 in-game years to complete the adventure path. And sometimes I feel it was still too fast. But I started playing with the fist edition of AD&D and, in that game, it was normal for years of in game time to pass. The AP instead generally have a timeline of a few months.

Twenty levels in twenty days is not something I like. ;-)

3) I agree. One of the advantage of the table top (beside having a GM and not a computer), was that the ruler could cover for a missing advisor. And you could change what you where doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Triordinant View Post
    I haven't gotten to try any kingdom building yet but I have a question: can custom NPCs you recruit through Anoriel Eight-Eyes become advisors and be given kingdom building tasks? If so, that might help with the advisor shortages.
    I haven't tried it, but I doubt it is possible. The character of the advisor change how he resolves a problem, so it is improbable that custom NPC will be able to be an advisor.

Triordinant: no unfortunately they cannot, which would be nice if they could.

As it is when you eventually get your advisors fully stocked you wind up with a few riding the bench that COULD deal with some of the needling problem events, but they aren't allowed to be assigned to anything.

Stat upgrades shouldn't require your supervision. Pretty simple solution really.

It's too bad custom NPCs can't be assigned as advisors or to kingdom building tasks. Maybe the opposite strategy will work where the in-game companions are all on kingdom building duty and your roaming adventure party is made up completely of custom NPCs. The tabletop campaign had 13 advisor roles. I wonder how many the computer version has...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast