Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

At what level do sorcerers get som real power?

I created a sorcerer - necromancer - and the spells at level 1 are pathetically weak; max damage is something like 3 for the spells.
    It's much more efficient to use a normal bow.

Le vel 1 for spellcasters are always hard. They have very few spells per day and they are weak. But as they progress, they have a steaper power curve than say fighters and can become ridiculously powerful.

Thanks.
    It's kind of boring that you have to play like a fighter the first x levels when it's not a fighter character you have...

At early levels, look more to buff/debuff and crowd control spells. Taking a few enemies out of a fight, or buffing your own characters, is powerful even at early levels.

Even in mid-game, a single cast of haste is usually worth more total damage output for me than a single cast of fireball, especially as an extended spell.

Prolly around level 5 when you get Fireball ;)
    And Haste and then Stoneskin, Communal are OP.

Quote Originally Posted by rpbiker View Post
    At early levels, look more to buff/debuff and crowd control spells. Taking a few enemies out of a fight, or buffing your own characters, is powerful even at early levels.

Even in mid-game, a single cast of haste is usually worth more total damage output for me than a single cast of fireball, especially as an extended spell.
    So true. My main was an Evoker, and she became more and more useless towards the end-game. Definitely suggest crowd control, debuff, and buff spells. Color Spray is pretty powerful at level 1.

In general spellcasters get really powerful once they are able to cast 3rd level spells.Just don't waste to many resources on damage spells. Neither direct, nor AoE.

Depends really. Damage spells can be use for some fights later on. Wild hunt, ghosts, touch spell spamming Fey all encourage keeping your distance.

So in that case its either ranged or spells.

At level 1 the Sorcerer has very good crowd control. Problem with the sorcerer is that lv1 CC get obsolete after a few levels and then you're stuck with useless spells. If you go for spells that mature into becoming more powerful as you level you'll have to be content sucking for a few. At lv 4 you get some good debuffs that don't get obsolete, like Blindness. You get lv3 spells at lv 6 and then you're good.

Quote Originally Posted by PoohPuss View Post
    Problem with the sorcerer is that lv1 CC get obsolete after a few levels and then you're stuck with useless spells.
    For whatever problems Pillars1 had, one thing I liked about it is that early-level magic (mostly) didn't become obsolete. It became different when you were fighting harder monsters, but not flat out ineffective.

D&D-ish systems though have that issue: you outgrow a lot of the early level magic, except maybe for some buffs and utility.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast