Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxzero View Post
    Yeah thats definately a PoE 1 thing. In PoE 2 the only level 1 spell that lasts is Chill Fog.
    Don't get me going on Pillars 2 :). They took a pretty nice game system from 1... and ruined it. Beautiful game to look at, there's no doubt about that, but what they did to the gameplay is a damned tragedy.

Anyway, to the OP: yeah, positioning is HUGE in this kind of game. You always want to run with a well rounded party, so you should have some tanky types to keep enemies off of your magic types. Especially later in the game, if a wizard or sorc is being hit by an enemy, s/he's as good as dead. (Well, unless you spent a lot of your spell catalog on defense, but then you aren't as good offensively). The arcane caster doesn't stand alone: they're part of a team with other complementing abilities, and have to function within that team.

My PC is Wiz, and often I go for a number of fights in a row without even using the heavier spells - just plink with a bow. I resolve the easier fights totally with melee & ranged, or + a cleric buff or two. However the larger and tougher the fight, the more I'll break out the higher level wizard spells as needed. That approach means I can go for a lot longer between rests, which in this kind of game can be important. You can view them as a "fight booster": you dish out however much you have to to ensure you win the combat, but without so much overkill that it makes you rest a lot more often.

I also pick and chose situations for wizard spells carefully. Dropping a slow spell onto two enemies is downright wasteful. Dropping one onto 20 enemies is efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Triordinant View Post
    In the tabletop version of Pathfinder, upon reaching 4th level, and at every even-numbered sorcerer level after that (6th, 8th, and so on), a sorcerer can choose to learn a new spell in place of one she already knows. In effect, the sorcerer loses the old spell in exchange for the new one.

I like that idea a lot. It'd let you make good use of spells which are only effective at low levels without "wasting" a low level slot later in the game, and also, you could fix spells that ended up to be a mistake in hindsight. Do you know if that rule applies to Wiz too, or just Sorc?

Quote Originally Posted by rpbiker View Post
    I like that idea a lot. It'd let you make good use of spells which are only effective at low levels without "wasting" a low level slot later in the game, and also, you could fix spells that ended up to be a mistake in hindsight. Do you know if that rule applies to Wiz too, or just Sorc?
    AFAIK only sorcerers, bards and eldritch scions (a magus archetype) can do it (and this is in the tabletop version, still unsure if it's in the computer game). Wizards, alchemists and eldritch scoundrels (a rogue archetype) do have the advantage of being able to add a spell to their spellbooks by copying it from a scroll. Just right-click any arcane scroll in your inventory and if it's not yet in your spellbook and it's a spell you can learn the option "Copy to Spellbook" will appear. The scroll will disappear from your inventory, but the spell will appear in your spellbook. You'll find lots of scrolls in the game.

Wizards are actually the only full arcane class to have a spellbook. They can learn/ prepare any spell, just by copying them into it. No need to change. Just don’t prepare spells you won’t be needing anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by reg.accs@gmail.com View Post
    Thanks, so around lvl 6 something will start to happen...
    Crowd control would be awesome, it it existed... Area effect spells would also be awesome, if they existed...
    The necromancer have 3 spells att lvl 1, all of them single target, with low to no effect. Not counting the d3 damage spells.
    I've tried "enfeeblement" and "sickening" none of them seem to have any effect at all.
    The first fight went something like this:
    - cast ray of sickening
    - attack of opportunity
    - dagger in my head
    - cast xxx spell, do 1 damage
    - attack of opportunity
    - dagger in my head
    - cast ray of enfeeblement
    - attack of opportunity
    - dagger in my head
    - Me Dead.
    That's not weak, that's completely useless. Imho.

Second try:
    - shoot arrow, 8 damage
    - shoot arrow, enemy dead.

Sounds like you are not familiar with the rule set, I would heavily suggest avoiding a Sorcerer on your first play through, and I'd specially avoid schools like Necromancy which don't even really get started damage wise till around level 12-14.

Quote Originally Posted by Karpophorus View Post
    Wizards are actually the only full arcane class to have a spellbook. They can learn/ prepare any spell, just by copying them into it. No need to change. Just don’t prepare spells you won’t be needing anymore.
    Ah true... I just haven't found very many scrolls of interest so far, so I tend to forget, and the better ones I found overlapped with my level-up choices anyway.

Ah true... I just haven't found very many scrolls of interest so far, so I tend to forget, and the better ones I found overlapped with my level-up choices anyway.
    Save those scrolls for Octavia. Also take note of which spells were on the scrolls you found; it'll inform your level-up choices in your next play-through.

Quote Originally Posted by Triordinant View Post
    Save those scrolls for Octavia. Also take note of which spells were on the scrolls you found; it'll inform your level-up choices in your next play-through.
    IE, Never select Fireball, Haste, Scorching Ray, or Acid Arrow on level up as a Wizard, you find a million scrolls of these!!

Quote Originally Posted by Amardarial View Post
    IE, Never select Fireball, Haste, Scorching Ray, or Acid Arrow on level up as a Wizard, you find a million scrolls of these!!
    Heh - I picked 3 out of 4 of those as level up choices :-|.

I do wish you could at least buy most of the spell catalog. In many games one of the tradeoffs for being able to cast fewer spells per day is access to all or most of the catalog so you can swap them around situationally. In P:K though, even if you avoid the spells you can find on scrolls, seems like you wouldn't get access to most of the choices. (Unless that changes later: I'm still mid way through).

Quote Originally Posted by Amardarial View Post
    It's good that the game has lots of the useful spells in scrolls and potions, but there are also useless ones like potions and scrolls of Vanish. They're caster level 1 so they only last 1 round, LOL. Probably better to sell them.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast