Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

This is a great game but... - constructive criticism and suggestions Topic

Hi.
    I posted this on steam, but it'll be more useful here imo
    ----
    Hi, thanks for the hard work. but:
    1- more explanations are needed about the rules (ingame), especially in the Kingdom management section.
    > 1.1/ please provide a progress bar for the unrest level
    > 1.2/ please make it more clear which kingdom stat makes what (for instance: does Stability and Loyalty have any effect on the evolution of the unrest level?... And if not, why ??)
    > 1.3/ please put a hottip about the minimum value of any stat, in regards to its level (because unrest is affected by it)
    > 1.4/ please make it more clear how the income is calculated
    > 1.5/ please explain the part where being negative BP makes unrest grow, and maybe allow at least a few days of negative before making the unrest grow - because we could then buy some BP when hit by an event that takes BPs from us!
    2- the UX needs more quality of life improvements, especially but not limited to the Kingdom Management section.
    > 2.1/ please make the kingdom interface accessible from any zone, not just the map and throne room
    > 2.2/ please make the kingdom interface accessible without load time, or at least provide a "small" version of it without load screens, like the boat interface in PoE2!
    > 2.3/ please make the stats sheets more straightforwardly understandable, and add hottips that actually help us comprehend what is written
    > 2.4/ please provide a key binding for the stealth function
    > 2.5/ please allow us to rotate the screen, when in a non-map zone
    > 2.6/ please allow us to zoom/dezoom the global map
    > 2.7/ please allow us to take notes on the maps (at least the global map)
    > 2.8/ please oh please provide a "fast" mode, like in PoE, because the movement speed is sooooooo slow it gets cringeworthy. I currently have to use a mod for this simple feature!
    > 2.9/ please, remake the entire town construction minigame from scratch.
    >> 2.9.1/ the buildings cannot be rotated willingly
    >> 2.9.2/ please put a checkbox to "always show grid", and "always show building names"
    >> 2.9.3/ please allow us to "terraform" new building squares, at a cost, obviously
    >> 2.9.4/ please allow us to move buildings that we just built, in that matter, you could provide a "validate/cancel construction" button, to prevent unwanted loss of BP due to trial and error on the building map

I'll stop there, because this is already a long message

These are all honest and not too greedy requests IMO, and it is constructive criticism in order to improve a great game.
    Yes, your game is great, but
    -the UX goes from correct to terrible, and lacks tooltipls all over the place. You'd learn from Obsidian and even Larian in that matter.
    -many aspects of the rules are never explained, or in ways you can't understand without prior knowledge of the tabletop
    -kingdom management is poorly explained and leads to too many gameover that are due solely to a lack of information about trivial things
    In that regards, I see a lot of people having a hard time with the unrest mechanics: how can a kingdom with high stability, loyalty, culture,etc. and with a benevolent ruler, be "crumbling", or even "troubled"? And more serious, how come we can never see it coming? Or knowingly do anything to prevent that?
    In the current state, I HAVE to play with mods for QoL improvements, and I play in invincible kingdom mode and cheat for KM. This is a shame, don't you think?

I say it again, this is a great game, but it is unfinished, and for even an infinity engine veteran as me, its design is too obscure in too many places.

I agree with most of the suggestions above. I'd like to add a few on my own :

Kingdom Management :

- Allows to put tasks on hold so an advisor can leave a started but lower-priority task to deal with an actually urgent problem. It's especially critical when the player is the one working on something, and events appear and pile up/advisor finish tasks and wait, during the time our character spends on a specific work.
    - Rebalance the time required for longer tasks. When you have no way to know in advance which events will pop (and no way to re-assign advisors), holding one up for 60 days is just playing russian roulette. When all tasks auto-fails at the end of the month, spending half the month upgrading is also an exercise in RNG frustration.

Overland map :

- Allows higher-level character to have faster map movement (buying horses/using spells/whatever). And I'm speaking not just about accelerating the visual movements, but actually moving faster (more distance for the same in-world time).
    The fact we need to go farther and farther, but still come back to the throne room, makes the time spent in travel a real annoyance.

Gameplay :

- GIVE US AN OPTION TO GET REAL PATHFINDER STAT ! Getting ridiculously bloated monsters is just bad design. It prevents making informed decisions, it has disproportionate effects on different kind of characters (damage spellcasters are nearly useless, anything with a DC save tends to be mostly useless in the cases in would actually be needed, etc.), it creates random difficulty spikes that wreck the balance of the game.
    It's probably the single worst point in the game for now. Just give us "real" stat, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    Overland map :

- Allows higher-level character to have faster map movement (buying horses/using spells/whatever). And I'm speaking not just about accelerating the visual movements, but actually moving faster (more distance for the same in-world time).
    The fact we need to go farther and farther, but still come back to the throne room, makes the time spent in travel a real annoyance.
    There's a Project that gives 20% move speed while in the kingdom that pretty much does this.

I agree with most of the suggestions above. I'd like to add a few on my own :

Gameplay :

- GIVE US AN OPTION TO GET REAL PATHFINDER STAT ! Getting ridiculously bloated monsters is just bad design. It prevents making informed decisions, it has disproportionate effects on different kind of characters (damage spellcasters are nearly useless, anything with a DC save tends to be mostly useless in the cases in would actually be needed, etc.), it creates random difficulty spikes that wreck the balance of the game.
    It's probably the single worst point in the game for now. Just give us "real" stat, please.
    They have real stats, designed for this game, this isn't PnP, this isn't any other version of the module, this is this version.

As far as casters being useless, how? My casters still do the most damage consistently, and this is using DC based spells. They work fine.

Only monsters I came across that seemed off were Ghostly Guards and the Wild Hunt Archers, and those have more to do with being immune to near everything and dispelling on hit with a touch attack, then inflated numbers.

Please take away impossible random encounters, either make them avoidable or not at all. I hate when AI cheats and wipes my party without ever having a choice. I get rushed by encounters with 3-5 CR levels higher than me !!!!!??? WHY?

Include a tool-tip for all my damage bonuses and sources information just like my attack power/bonuses. Currently when I hover on damage there is no information at all. Like damage base/weapons , bonuses and any active power. non active powers etc..

Make a totally new Kingdom UI . The current kingdom management UI is all over the place and not user friendly.

All points OP brought are valid.

But allowing to stop a project to have an advisor deal with a problem is a must have.

The cost and time of projects need re-work as well. Even if we hadn´t the "frozen" advisor issue, i wouldn´t do most of them as the rewards is often not worth the cost...

The project that increase travel speed is the kameland horses upgrade, right?

Gameplay :

Yeah I am not seeing this either - with all the difficulty options I am sure you can find a happy medium. If anything taking away hard encounters might hamstring us that like the punishment on the off chance we win :) I mean not sure if anyone plays on UNFAIR in the beginning but it could come in handy later on as you start leveling up I have gathered from some inquiries on the forums, but can't confirm myself.
    “I'll not deny I am impressed by your mastery of six warrens, Quick Ben. In retrospect, you should have held back on at least half of what you command." The man made to rise.
    "But, Bauchelain," the wizard replied, "I did.”
    ― Steven Erikson, Memories of Ice

> 2.4/ please provide a key binding for the stealth function

I have to laugh a little since I desire that the highlight object feature be given an on screen toggle like stealth when you desire stealth to be given a keypress like highlight objects!

Quote Originally Posted by Bringing The Future View Post
    Yeah I am not seeing this either - with all the difficulty options I am sure you can find a happy medium.
    I think what she mean is:
    She would like to be 100% sure that IF she encounter something what she can find in monster manual it should be 100% accurate. True, if you encounter intelligent opponent it is totally possible that you can not just look "normal" stats from manual (example Nok-Nok is not level 1 goblin with normal monster manual goblin items and so on) but if you encounter let's say "owlbear" you should be able to just go and check it stats from monster manual and based on that decide if you and your party can handle it (or what it's CR is and around % of your winning change).

Naturally yes, if you encounter something like "Enraged Owlbear" you know it have different stats. It is same as if you encounter "berserker rat" you can expect it to have different stats from normal "rat". So there is allways option for game developers to make difference.

Allso I believe she did not mean things like "playing unfair" because it clearly say how much it change game experience. But even when you try to make "all" 100% like core rules it is kind of impossible. Core rules do not mean 100% same as Kingmaker AP in P&P. It mean same rules, same HP and so on for you and enemy. If it mean bringing more monsters in encounter sure, let's do it. If it mean bringing in harder monsters, sure.. even if it mean making up new "bigger/better" monster why not.

Anyway, for me game felt first (tutorial, act1 with only 4 party member) harder but after you get few levels and get all 6 party members it get way easier. I try to play as 100% core rules as possible (challencing game mode 100% damage and so on). But it is true, if you have played Pathfinder bit longer (P&P) you do notise quite fast that there are changes what you just have to learn and I can understand why people would want to get as close as possible P&P ruleset / encounters (even if there will be MORE monsters with LESS XP) in this game.

But on the other hand we do get 25 point buy system (kind of epic instead of normal 15 or so) so there is that to think about allso.
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"

Please make the 3d damage (and all the other low level spells) useful. It's quite boring to play sorcerer and all you can really do is play a really weak fighter the first x levels. Why can't the 3d spells be at least as good as a bow? If you're playing a sorcerer you want to use spells not weapons. Either increase the damage to e.g. d8, or if you want to keep the ridiculous 3d damage add a side effect; make acid splash an aoe attack or do damage over time (stacking damage), add stun to lightning, add slow to cold. Use your imagination. I'm sure you will come up with something, but please do something.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast