Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Nyrissa's castle ruin the game

The game was good so fare (bug excepted). And this level ruin everything. The wild hunt fight are far more difficult than they should be. Even on story mode, they are fare too hard. It's not fun at all. I have maxed save on all my char, and I still cannot resist the immobilisation.

Protection against chaos, the obvious solution, do not work. I spent more than 8 hours on this castle, chaining wild hunt fight one after the other, starting over after each death.

This level need a lot of reworking. It's tedious, right now.

I will agree that the castle is a bit tedious. The paralysis can be prevented by casting freedom of movement on your characters (Hope that helps)... the blindness you'll just have to deal with :(

Senior Member No One of Consequence's Avatar
    You're not the first one to say so, and probably won't be the last. If you have communal Freedom of Movement, it seems it is the only thing that works over there.And stuff that increase your saves against Blindness...

However, I do not see how Protection from Chaos is supposed to help against their Wild Gaze. Could you explain ?

I agree that I found the final chapter to be... not fun.
    The saves bonus from Protection from Chaos is overwritten by the cloak of resistance bonuses (if you have those on)
    I believe that protection from chaos should prevent us from being touched (touch attacks?) from summoned creatures (wild hunt monarchs summon fae) that may be what he's referring to.

Honestly though? Tuning for that whole segment just sucks. Coupled with a non-guaranteed party set up and mandatory buff spells that the fight is functionally unwinnable without, the level design is terrible.

And aren't we supposed to be a higher level around there? First time I hit that zone I was like 14 or 15 having done as many sidequests as were not bugged.

Here's hoping the next patch smooths the gameplay in that section.

Freedom of movement only works for me if it's on the items. Otherwise a wild hunt monarch casts dispel magic, and all buffs are removed from my characters.

I also didn't have communal FoM (it exists?), so basically all Tristian's spell slots were taken by freedom of movement.

Another thing that made everything worse is that Linzi was my shadow for the entire game, and she was my main support, and suddenly she's not available anymore. A custom adventurer bard I made was not even present on this level. So I was left without a bard when I needed a bard the most.

I don't know what I would have done without my 100 scrolls of heal and two dozens of scrolls of remove paralysis. And I took those only because I was warned in advance by my friends that this level is 80% wild hunt. If a player comes unprepared for these guys it will be a game over, even on story mode.

I understand Owlcals' goal was to create a game that feels like tabletop experience. I don't know what kind of DM would throw hordes of magic-resistant paralysis-casting fey at their group. I feel like they really let me down with that level. Because it should have been a very emotional experience, with your friends in danger, losing someone you care about, but I was just annoyed by the hordes of monsters, and it really ruined the immersion. I'm not going to complain about switching dimensions by walking through the fog, which was not fun as well sometimes, but definitely not as annoying as wild hunt ambushes. I hope the devs will tweak this level. Or give us more boots with constant FoM :)

I hope that at some point they really differentiate the 2 separate dimensions in Nyrissa's house. I spent 3 hours looking for one of the two bosses because there was a fog bank and I kept forgetting which version of the house I was in.

About protection against chaos, in pnp, it make you immune to compulsion spell. I think that they are casting something like "hold person", which is compulsion. am I wrong ?

For my second play-through I am going to prepare Freedom of Movement, True Seeing, give my MC feats like blind fight (Fighter, Two Weapon Fight, Trip Build) and apply some high level buffs, lots of em and higher than Freedom of Movement and did I mention lots of em?

Even if all the buffs aren’t useful for the fight. The way dispel magic works (in PnP) is that the highest active spell gets dispelled first.

How many freedom of movements should you prepare? ALL OF THEM.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    About protection against chaos, in pnp, it make you immune to compulsion spell. I think that they are casting something like "hold person", which is compulsion. am I wrong ?
    Protection from chaos stop spells that control the character, not spells that simply stop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Paizo FAQ
    Protection From Evil: Does this work against all charm and compulsion effects? Or just against charm and compulsion effects where the caster is able to exercise control over the target, such as charm person, command, and dominate person (and thus not effects like sleep or confusion, as the caster does not have ongoing influence or puppet-like control of the target)?

The latter interpretation is correct: protection from evil only works on charm and compulsion effects where the caster is able to exercise control over the target, such as command, charm person, and dominate person; it doesn't work on sleep or confusion. (Sleep is a border case for this issue, but the designers feel that "this spell overrides your brain's sleep centers" is different enough than "this spell overrides your resistance to commands from others.")

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast