Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    The feat is not mandatory per se. I completed House at the Edge of Time during my first play-through without having it (also back then Blind Fight did not help against gaze attacks). It is more difficult, heck of a lot more difficult without.

For some it might be enough complaining and pointing fingers at weaknesses, for me it's not.
    Actually for me it´s part of the fun, finding a working solution for tedious encounters within the given system.
    Not down playing other opinions here, just showing alternate approaches and trying to help.

I think the issue is less that there is a counter, and more that there is only 1 counter.
    2 really, but the second is locked to Divine Hunter.

It would be better if there was a cleric spell to protect against blindness, or if getting blindness on the hunt prevented the gaze attacks.

As it currently stands the counterplay is binary. Have Blind Fight or suffer blindness.

Theres a couple spells that really should function as counterplay but I don't feel like going to test them again, and last I played they did nothing. True Seeing, See Invis... hell, you could repurpose Magic Circle against Alignment and then maybe it'd actually be useful instead of providing a deflection bonus that should already have been overwritten. Same issue with the Touch AC Paralyze attacks, have FoM or Suffer.

This solution is not directed against status effects, it’s against their cause.

Tell me, how many solutions against gaze attacks does PF PnP offer? Honest question.

Oh, and btw... blindness was never an issue. Not for me.
    Last edited by Karpophorus; 12-18-2018 at 06:37 AM.

Well, theres AMF, Illusion shenanigans, Could cover the creature, self blind.... Summon Monsters and converse to determine location then use an evocation spell to drop the roof, or something similar. Core is a tabletop game and as such is limited by the DMs flexibility.
    I'm not saying that the core ruleset is the end-all of balance though. I happen to think its absurdly clunky and poorly managed at higher levels. Deviating from core to enhance gameplay is ABSOLUTELY something that I would support. Want to implement a new solution to a problem? I'm 100% behind you.

Also, in core, the encounter are more balanced, and we don't have an encounter fp 24 at lv 16. And Facing that much wild hunt, Would never be a trashfight but a bossfight.

The problem is, as Lymurra said, that there isn't that much turnaround. But the solution is, from my point of view, diversity of encounter (and reduction of the number of encounter). I have nothing against the idea of having ONE huge pack of wild hunt. But having most of the encounter made of them ? That's a mistake.

Also, what make this dungeon tedious is the lack of story behind it. If the only things to do are mirror and defeating Nyrissa, well, the level is far too big. They should remove some monster, and had more encounter with talking npc that had contents. There is much to do in this out of time realm.

For me, the solution is adding other monster, easier one, in the house, and in the last chapter, to replace the wild hunt. And keeping the hunt as boss battle. That would be balancing the game.

I actually stopped playing the game during "House" because that location sucked all the fun out. I'm waiting for a walkthrough now because the stuff I experienced was super tedious.

Quote Originally Posted by Hagbard_Celine View Post
    I actually stopped playing the game during "House" because that location sucked all the fun out. I'm waiting for a walkthrough now because the stuff I experienced was super tedious.
    My brother did the same, while also stated that he will never touch this game again. And this is from somebody who played IWD, NWN 1-2 and possible all other major CRPG out there multiple times each. He even finished completely the terrible Sword Coast Legends before shelving it.

This part of the game is bad, and there is no logical reason why it was done this way. Yeah, there are players who finished it, but you rarely hear anybody saying how good it was.

It's not just the tedious combat, though it is definitely a big factor. There is a very noticeable drop in quality in the last two chapters in all aspects of the game:

- area design - you go from a huge, open map to one small location, followed by a bunch of even smaller, reused locations;

- encounter desing - compare those copy-pasted overpowered mobs to the chapter one end battle, which you can approach in several different ways and where you can even turn some enemies into your allies;

- writing - the idea that Nyrissa kidnaps your companions and you have to rescue them is interesting, but the execution is terrible. It doesn't make sense that she would take them all, even those who had not traveled with you. On the other hand, if your party consists of mercenaries, you won't lose any. So effectively, even though the game gives you freedom on how to run your party, the endgame scenario is based on the assumption they are premade companions.

Watching your characters grow over the course of adventure is one of the biggest appeals of cRPGs for me. When you play for the first time and you don't know all the skills and spells, and you make mistakes leveling them up, but your little party of misfits still manages to pull through - that's what makes the game fun. Having to replace them last minute with freshly made mercenaries is not. When on top of that all that is left is a tedious, prolonged fight against overpowered mobs, then it feels like you are being trolled.

You can always buy a couple cloak of shadows to deal with the blindness. It gives you immunity to blindness.

I start the game in difficult. Then, I moved to normal after chapter 1, when I understood what "difficult" mean to Owlcat. I was fine during all game(well, except for bug...). But, at the Nyrissa's Castle, I moved to "story mod" because of the Wild Hunt. And that was still diffuclt to beat them. It's easier to defeat Nyrissa and the Lantern King in his final form (and in his first and second form) than a random group of Wild Hunt mob.
    I really hope those Wild Hunt will be nerfed/replace a day.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678