Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HenriHakl View Post
    How many freedom of movements should you prepare? ALL OF THEM.
    If it would be possible to use paper for the Scribe Scroll feat and you would need to chop down trees, for the resources, the final encounter would take place in the plain of thousand screams.

To deal with the shenanigans in the final dungeon:

Echolocation (it's a personal spell, but an Alchemist with Infusion can cast it on other people; and it lasts longer than True Seeing).
    Communal See Invis (for the ghosts before they jump out)
    Freedom of Movement (I could not find scrolls of this, but Druids, Clerics, Bards, and Alchemists can all cast it and it lasts long)

Lots of other buffs for AC/to hit. (again, Alchemist Infusion lets you cast Shield on others. By the end, I didn't need Barkskin or shield of faith due to all the +4 to +5 items I had. Communal Stoneskin, constantly hasting (thanks Sorceror with Heighten Metamagic feat), bard song and good hope, etc.

My 2nd playthrough hit the house this weekend and it bugged out hard early on. I got to the room where you "recover" Jaethal and Tristian... and it the game went to a "game over" screen because Jaethal "died" off camera in a cut-scene. Which is wierd, because I killed Jaethal during one of her quests (my paladin couldn't tolerate her evil-ness any longer). So major bug killed my playthrough. And this playthrough (up until then) felt less buggy.

Also, In both my playthroughs, Amiria was unrecoverable at the House. I dont' know what I did wrong in her quests (that must have led to Navi's death...), but it is annoying.

In my 2nd playthrough, I was all Merc's - so it didn't matter what happened to the NPCs (or if they were unavailable).

In both playthroughs, I was 16th level on six PCs when I entered the House at Edge of Time (I was `16th level when I fought Irovetti too). I was projecting to hit 17th level sometime in the House dungeon....

The key to the house is realizing it is actually two dungeons that look exactly alike (think light world/dark world from the old Link to The Past SNES Zelda game). As long as you keep track of which world you're in (and using the lantern to avoid/not avoid the blue hazy transitions) you should be able to track progress.

For playthrough 3, I'm going with team Chaos (Regongar, Octavia, Harrim, Linzi, and Jubilost)... all led by my Lawful Good Monk..... I'll probably put Kingdom on Auto so I dont' have to deal with it this time.

I'll do at least two more playthroughs. I haven't tried out animal companions and Polymorph effects yet, so that could be cool. Not to mention I need to do an "Evil" run.....

I quit the game because of this without even finishing. It was just too tedious and annoying. Of course, it might have been easier if my guys were proper level (they ended up at 15 because of quest bugs) or if I could have recruited my best companions (again, bugs prevented finishing companion quests). I figure I might give it another shot if I see something in Patch Notes at some point regarding balancing of the area.

GrandPoobah is correct.

The difficulty gets much easier if you prepare appropriately - more to the point, if you have freedom of movement and true sight prepared en masse, then you are ready to handle the many wild hunt fights. Other buffs are nice of course; but the above two are almost compulsory.

Other things to have available: remove blindness, remove disease, shield of law. The shield of law is a nice party buff to prevent mind effects - for cases where you know you'll be fighting vs dominate spells.

The problem I had was that hitting the wild hunt fey in the 7th chapter was impossible, because true seeing did not work. I wasnít blinded and even if, LoH was skilled to remove blindness. And true seeing was not dispelled, it just didnít work. I may have overlooked something but I believe itís a bug.

True seeing itself does not get around being blind. And several of the enemies add blinding sickness to your characters; which is a real pain to cope with. Sooo, you need freedom of movement, true seeing, and make sure not to be blind. The feat Blind Fight (and its higher level follow-up feats) helps too; but it is better to just not be blind.

Aye, thatís why I checked if - by the time my attacks kept missing, because of concealment - my MC was blind. He wasnít.

Don't worry it get's even more tedious and stupid after that.

I wish I was joking.

Well, I have finished the game, I do not think it's worse after the Castle. The wild hunt are still a pain, but there is nothing worse than them.

I muist say, as much as I like this game, that the topic of this thread is true. There have been some challenging encounters in the game so far, but in the House at the Edge of Time, enemies just get ridiculously overpowered so that this part can only be solved in story mode, and even then, it is challenging.
    There are by far to many wild hunts in that house: a Wild Hunt Archer is CR13 (25.600 XP), a Wild Hunt Scout is CR 15 (51.200 XP) and a Wild Hunt Monarch is CR19 (204.800 XP). On an APL of 17 (the characters should have level 16 by that point, plus 1 as the party has 6 members), the monarch alone would be APL+2 which is considered as hard. The whole encounter consisting of 5 archers, 5 scouts and one monarch, however, is CR22 which has a difficulty of APL+5 which is out of scale (APL+3 is considered as "epic", requiring a fully rested party with all their resources to successfully resolve).
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/mo...fey/wild-hunt/
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemasteri...counter-Design

I would therefore really appreciate if the endgame gets rebalanced (and playtested!) to that in the normal mode, normal encounters are APL, boss fights a bit harder (but never beyond APL+3) and the other modes modify this difficulty by 1 per step (so that story mode is basically APL-2 and unfair mode basically APL+3). Without that adjustment, the achievement "play the whole game in unfair mode" will never get reached.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast