Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member JulietRosalieMelusine's Avatar

Hospitaler/Crusader (AKA paladin/cleric)

I want to play paladin/cleric out of roleplay and I think these two would be healing machine and viable in play.

I wonder if I play mostly with Tristian cleric/sorcerer/mystic theurge is there any point in going with such heavy healing? I won't have second cleric as party member, just Tristian, Amiri, Valerie, Linzi, Octavia... not to mention I might swap either Amiri or Valerie for Jubliost or that Magus party member.

The amount of healing you need depends heavily on your playstyle and the rest of the party. People that don't get hit in combat do not need healing.

Personally I think there's enough healing available in the game (and camping of course) that you do not even need a dedicated cleric in the party at all.

I would say that cleric are not there for healling, but for protection spells.
    Protection against poison can be really good, Death ward can also be a lifesaver, and finaly, freedom of movment is necessary in order to complete the final dungeon. Without those spells, some fight will be... unpleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft View Post
    I would say that cleric are not there for healling, but for protection spells.
    Protection against poison can be really good, Death ward can also be a lifesaver, and finaly, freedom of movment is necessary in order to complete the final dungeon. Without those spells, some fight will be... unpleasant.
    An inquisitor has access to all of those spells, delay poison (communal) et level 7, the other 2 at level 10.

This is a bit later than the cleric, of course, but not too late and with the advantage of not having to prepare the spells in advance (meaning that it's easier to adapt to a given situation). Possible drawback of the inquisitor is that you learm restoration a bit late and don't hav access to greater restoration.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    An inquisitor has access to all of those spells, delay poison (communal) et level 7, the other 2 at level 10.

This is a bit later than the cleric, of course, but not too late and with the advantage of not having to prepare the spells in advance (meaning that it's easier to adapt to a given situation). Possible drawback of the inquisitor is that you learm restoration a bit late and don't hav access to greater restoration.
    If I planned paladin multiclass with cleric dip, it's not worth it?

I don't find multiclassing caster to be efficient. The spell you can cast are tied to your lv.

The only efficient multiclass are, in my opinion, the one based on prestige class.

I think that the cleric dip will not help you. Especially as cleric need Wisdom, and wisdom is the only real dump state for paladin.

Quote Originally Posted by JulietRosalieMelusine View Post
    If I planned paladin multiclass with cleric dip, it's not worth it?
    To achieve what, a healer? You decide yourself what's "worth it", but objectively every paladin level would detract from the cleric's healing capacity somewhat. Also, when you write "paladin with cleric dip" it kind of sends the signal that you intend to splash 1-4 levels of cleric with the rest paladin, which would be utterly useless compared to going paladin 20. A couple of extra castings of cure light wounds at level 20 will provide jack shit when Valerie rocks 300 hit points. The other way around has some merit: Let's say you wanted to build a healer cleric that went with a high Cha (14-16) to get some extra schwang out of your Channeling, but you don't want to build a Tristian and still have some relevancy in combat; a little touch of battle cleric in the mix. So you make use of the points you put into Cha (that could have gone into Str for a battle cleric or Wis for a caster cleric) and take 2-3 levels of paladin for: heavy armour proficiency, martial weapon proficiency, Cha to saves and (if going for the third level) immunity to disease and fear. The smite will be limited in efficiency, but you don't say no to a freebie. At the same time you only lose 1d6 of Channeling and still get to 9th level spells. If you took the Crusader cleric archetype for weapon specialization and so on, but at the same time wanted to be healer, chances are that your single domain is Healing and that makes you worship Irori or Sarenrae.

If the Oracle class makes it into the game in a future DLC (basically divine sorcerers), then that class replaces cleric in any paladin multi-class build.

What is I just want crusader/hospitaler who worship Imodee or what is her name in order to use longswords, a character cleric with few dips in paladin?

Quote Originally Posted by JulietRosalieMelusine View Post
    What is I just want crusader/hospitaler who worship Imodee or what is her name in order to use longswords, a character cleric with few dips in paladin?
    You still want to be a Cleric for the full spellcasting. A couple levels of Paladin won't give you much, except maybe bonus to saves but you have spells to help you with that. Generally speaking, its a bad idea to multiclass full-casters.

Quote Originally Posted by Deekin View Post
    If the Oracle class makes it into the game in a future DLC (basically divine sorcerers), then that class replaces cleric in any paladin multi-class build.
    Sometimes I wonder if they left the Oracle out of the game because they realized it could become the go-to class for the main character. Reasons being 1) many important dialogue options can only be tackled by the main character which means he needs high Charisma and have Persuasion as a class skill, 2) unlike clerics who have 2 main stats (Wisdom and Charisma), an Oracle only has 1 (Charisma), and 3) some Oracle mysteries let you use Charisma instead of Dexterity for Armor Class AND still wear armor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast