Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks for checking that. However, the important thing here is that DD can be bought from Jhod. I didn't check the price yet, but considering how rich we are by the time it's possible to cast (communal) stoneskin, it should allow to have it up most of the time, or at least as soon as a situation is dangerous.

Good or rather interesting news for ya... After the encounter at Flintlock Grasland and before I went to Armag’s Tomb, I explored Dunsward, Tors of Levenies and Gleneborn Uplands. I fought a lot and looted even more. Random encounters and encounters at the landmarks.

I am very sure that my DD stock was 127 after Flintlock Grasland. Now, I am at 343... and I have no idea when or how I got it. Not a bug, only me not paying attention.

That's alot of DD. That and Johd having an (almost) infinite supply finished convincing me: I'll use (communal) stoneskin liberally ;)

I've checked a bit how experience gains work. Restricting exp. gains to active members is only worth it if you have less then 6 party members: If you have 6 party members, each of them will gain exactely the same that what they'd gain if exp. was shared among everyone.

That being said, it's worth it starting a game with that option enabled (i.e. only active members receive experience) and turning it off after the "big" battle at Oleg's. That way, the MC will have roughly 4500 exp at Oleg's rather than 2000 or so.

Right now, I've created all the level 1 mercenaries but have only brought 2 of them with me (the vivi and the AT) along Valerie, Jaethal and Amiri.

Visited the ancient tomb, missed the pine patch, then thorn ford, two-rivers field, nettle's crossing, and went to the Old sycamore.
    There, Kesten pointed me to the pine patch. Visited a bit of Old sycamore, so that I could get some easy exp which brought Jaethal to level 3 and the AT to level 2 (I switch to "Only skill check user gains experience" before disarming every single trap - which is done by the AT; It's a bit boring, but right now the AT is at 2500 exp or so, while all the other mercenaries are at 1600 or so).

Next session, I'll go to the Pine Patch, then probably back to the Old sycamore. I'm still unsure about how long I'll be keeping Valerie, Jaethal and Amiri.

Ok, just failed while attacking the Stag Lord's Fort.

Not that the party wasn't strong enough, but I tried to rush it (was trying to get act 1 done under one month) and made mistakes. Plus, I didn't remember the fights there very well. Had I been adequatly prepared, this should have been relatively easy. When making the assault, the party lacked:

- Communal protection from fire (MC Cleric was level 5 so he could cast it - some alchemists ennemies can be devastating).
    - Extented expedious retreat on the 3 melee chars (the vivi could cast it, Oleg sell many wands of Lesser Extend Metamagic and they are worth buying) so that the last guy of each pack doesn't get away. In fact, using wants to get it on the 6 chars would even be safer.

I could savescum a savegame (in fact last Azlanti doesn't prevent you from savescumming) but I really don't feel like it (didn't savescum at all until there).

All in all, the party was prolly strong enough to complete Act 1 (and likely the game) on ironman, provided one doesn't make mistakes. Difficulty setting was custom but challenging (and possibly hard) would likely be doable. I had killed all the mobs (except for the werewolves and the will o wisp) with great ease (none of Tuskgutter/Man-eater Troll/Bandits and Shambling mound at Old Syc. were hard at all) and had high enough skill scores so that no skill check could be missed (except for the early checks after Forgotten Tomb and the TL encounter). At first, Valerie, Jaethal and Amiri replaced some of the party members, but only Valerie was still there when I went to Stag Lord's Fort (she had less AC than my merc tank, but about 50% more HP. Plus, her AC was plenty enough especially when buffed with SoF and BarkSkin).

MC was level 5, mercs and NPCs were level 4, Arcane Trickster was level 5 (because of disarming traps - that's about 6k worth of exp by the end of chapter 1).
    If I had shared the experience from traps, AT would have been level 4 but NPCs would have been level 5. It could have made the Stag Lord's Fort assault a bit easier, but that was probably unneeded.

I can share the party details if anyone is interested.

Expeditious retreat vs stag bandit runaways... so obvious and I didn't even consider it ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by HenriHakl View Post
    Expeditious retreat vs stag bandit runaways... so obvious and I didn't even consider it ^_^
    I considered it, and failed to use it for my first bandit fight (just because I was reluctant on resting). Such a mistake.
    (I've savescummed twice just after the initial fail. ER makes those fights much easier indeed, provided that the last ennemy standing isn't too sturdy. Another lesson learnt is that Alchemist fire can easily lead to a character's death since it deals damage to unconscious characters)

I'm tempted to start another playthrough, but I'm reluctant on playing the exact same stategy, so I need to improve my team in some way. Maybe by having someone with more than 12 WIS focusing on Lore(Nature) for instance (that was one of the "low" skills of the team).

I'm also tempted to try the challenging difficulty. This would be just a small increase in difficulty. I wonder if the skill checks DCs would increase. Also, I noticed that a few DCs in my playthrough were easier than what is stated here (mostly traps DCs, 18 instead of 22 for instance).
    Last edited by Matt; 12-07-2018 at 08:55 PM.

As an aside: on my current playthrough I got a main and two mercs (party of 3) with no XP sharing outside of active party. I was level 6 at the Stag Lord fight.

Currently I'm in the middle of Vordekai, and about level 13.5.

(My party is an Aldori swordlord (fighter archetype). Sensei (monk archetype). And crusader of Abadar (nobility domain, cleric archetype.)

Currently there is a bit of a bug with the sensei, so not all things that he should be able to do are possible (e.g. casting mass barkskin).

Senior Member No One of Consequence's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I wonder if the skill checks DCs would increase. Also, I noticed that a few DCs in my playthrough were easier than what is stated here (mostly traps DCs, 18 instead of 22 for instance).
    I think one of the 1.1.x patches changed a few DCs.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I considered it, and failed to use it for my first bandit fight (just because I was reluctant on resting). Such a mistake.
    (I've savescummed twice just after the initial fail. ER makes those fights much easier indeed, provided that the last ennemy standing isn't too sturdy. Another lesson learnt is that Alchemist fire can easily lead to a character's death since it deals damage to unconscious characters)

I'm tempted to start another playthrough, but I'm reluctant on playing the exact same stategy, so I need to improve my team in some way. Maybe by having someone with more than 12 WIS focusing on Lore(Nature) for instance (that was one of the "low" skills of the team).

I'm also tempted to try the challenging difficulty. This would be just a small increase in difficulty. I wonder if the skill checks DCs would increase. Also, I noticed that a few DCs in my playthrough were easier than what is stated here (mostly traps DCs, 18 instead of 22 for instance).
    I dealt with them by stunning them with 2 arcane casters casting the lvl 0 stun spells continuously.

@HenriHaki: With a 3-man party, your chars get twice the exp, right ? Which translates (roughly) into 2 more levels for each char. It is indeed possible to cover all skill needs with only 3 chars (but that may require an Inquisitor or some other kind of skill monkey), but don't you feel like your party is (quite heavily) falling in power compared to a 6-man party (in which the chars would have 2 less levels) ?

@No One Of Consequence: Seems likely. I also noticed that some perception checks at Oleg's have disappeared (now, you get an automatic success result with dialog options).

@matthias: Thx for the strategy. That's something I'll consider for next playthrough

I'll start next playthrough tomorrow. Not many changes in the team, basically:

Heavily muticlassed Tank remains the same (+SF: persuasion)
    Paladin is replaced with Inquisitor.(spontaneous divine is so convenient + dazzling + skill monkey + Jaethal)
    Melee rogue becomes KM + Stealthy (+SF: Mobility or Stealth ?)
    Vivi stays the same
    AT stays the same, except that I may replace Necromancy with Abjuration as opposition school: Inquisitor+Vivi can take care of Stoneskin.
    MC stays the same.

I expect this playthrough to be slow and to fail somewhere in Act 2 ;)

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast