Monster Statistics: Bugged or intended?

Hi,

I'm really enjoying the game for the most part (120 hours in as of this post). I restarted after patch 1.1 came out in hopes that the experience would be better from a bug and tuning standpoint, and while I've had a mostly bug-free experience thus far (just made it to Chapter 2), I'm really disappointed in the monster balance, especially with owlbears and all the flavors thereof.

I kickstarted this game because it promised an authentic PF experience in a cRPG, but encountering owlbears (a CR 4 monster in the bestiary) with a to-hit bonus on par with that of an adult black dragon (a CR 11 monster) and a damage bonus 2.5x as high (+18 for the owlbear vs. +7 for an adult black dragon) leaves me questioning whether or not all the monster-related issues were caught or if this is a conscious design choice.

If it is a bug, I would strongly encourage that this be addressed in the near future. It is extremely frustrating and creates a very negative experience in an otherwise impressive title.

If it is intended, I would strongly encourage you to add another option for under 'Enemy stat adjustments' or 'Enemy difficulty', whichever is appropriate, called "Core". This would simply set all monsters in the game to utilize the same stat blocks found in the Bestiary, and utilize the templates and monster types found within to scale up homebrew creatures like the other flavors of owlbears found in the game.

If this is not amenable, please allow folks to mod the game via the Steam Workshop and provide this kind of setting if you are unwilling to add it to the game.

Thanks, and looking forward to the DLC to come.

Almost all owlbear in the game are "primal" or have other adjectives so they have a template or are different versions from the basic one presented in the Bestiary.
    Some lack the adjective, so they should use the basic model, but apparently, most of them are linked to the wrong stats.
    On the other hand, the owlbear was an iconic monster of the first part of the AP, so buffing them is reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Badger View Post
    If it is intended, I would strongly encourage you to add another option for under 'Enemy stat adjustments' or 'Enemy difficulty', whichever is appropriate, called "Core". This would simply set all monsters in the game to utilize the same stat blocks found in the Bestiary, and utilize the templates and monster types found within to scale up homebrew creatures like the other flavors of owlbears found in the game.

If this is not amenable, please allow folks to mod the game via the Steam Workshop and provide this kind of setting if you are unwilling to add it to the game.
    It is definitely intended, and I share your irritation at this, it makes the game feel like it's always cheating. The bloat is very real, and up to ridiculous degree. I advise you to play with "weak" monsters to compensate a bit (they'll still have much, much higher stat than they should, but a bit less so).

And yes, I don't understand either why there is no "core rules" settings. That's one of the most puzzling design decision of the game.

It bugs me how pets are also boosted through the roof and can't choose feats

It is Intended.

I don't think pets are boosted. They seem to follow pathfinder progression. Also, they campaign is not intended for a party of six characters probably, so some boost is probably required, or change in number or type of enemies in encounters.

I don't have the in game stats of ekundayo's dog, but this is a level 1 animal companion dog

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/cor...al-companions/

[...] it promised an authentic PF experience in a cRPG [...] or if this is a conscious design choice.
    First question: Which difficulty settings are you playing with?

I, by no means, have any knowledge or understanding of programming a game. The only thing I (pretend) to have is common sense.
    Once I heard about this game I was convinced that we would not get a 100% transgression of the PnP rules as CRPG, I was sure we would not get a Pathfinder Simulator, we would not get a Game Master AI.

However, I am NOT saying that there is no reason for you to be disappointed.

Actually, the original Pathfinder CR system is "half-assed". At best.

It compares your "APL" (average party level) with the "CR" (challenge rating) to design encounters. It's more like a rule of thumb, not a precise mechanism.
    APL does not consider the wealth and gear a party carries around it only assumes and suggests that PCs should not own any magic item worth more than half their total character wealth.
    APL does not consider how the characters have been built, dice roll, 25 point buy or less...
    APL does not consider if a group is balanced, optimized, under-powered...
    APL does not consider how experienced players are.

So if APL is not a optimal method to base your encounters on, how does it work out in PF PnP?
    I think, because of the GM. The GM adapts, learns, improves, sometimes even cheats all for the sake of entertainment... how do you program this into a game?

My overall experience in this CRPG is that there are not many encounters on normal mode, which I canīt rush though, in which I donīt even need to cast a single spell.
    Some encounters I barely best, because of various degrees of buffing.
    Only very few encounters are impossible or extremely difficult. Most of them can be ignored until you geared and/ or leveled up.

I am playing on normal mode, because itīs closest thing to core rules we have.

Problem with "full Pathfinder Core / Adventure path" experience is:
    Yes, it would be possible to add only same amount of enemies, they stats and so on as adventure path. But it would allso mean that you would get 15 point PC build, allso 4 person party (PC + 3 NPC's). Less magical items and so on.

I do not believe that most people would be happy with that option, specially because computer AI is not really same as human game master. What I mean is: you do not get options to make all these possible things you can in P&P RPG, it is just not possible. Little things what you do between fights, like swimming, tracking, hunting, or just watching the night sky while you are at watch guard in your party camp. Yes, in theory you can add them in computer game, but they are coded and would be "all the same".

Most likely made with text based thing and after you read it first time it would not be so fun anymore to try and swim, maybe notise a salmon and try to catch it with your bare hands. In P&P it is nice thing, something you talk with your friends later. In computer game it is fun in first time but after get "plah, this encounter again. I just want more XP and kill monsters" kind of feeling. What is not what people want from game.
    "Road to the man's heart go through the chest"