Rasie dead and important NPC (Kesten 6 co.)

I am playing the game for the second time, and this time the important NPC seem to die way easily than the first.
    So far I have lost Kesten and Kessle.

I would like to be able to raise them from the dead, especially Kesten. I had a scroll of Raise dead and had Breath of life memorized when he died, so in a pen and paper game that woldn't be difficult, but here is impossible, so I am suggesting that for a future expansion of the game.

On a side note: I have the impression that training an NPC as an advisor will increase not only his stat but his levels too. I suspect that was why Kesten survived the battle in the Womb of Lamashtu the first time.

This is something that always bugs me in these games, I have a Cleric that can literally raise the dead, let me use it to solve problems!

Senior Member No One of Consequence's Avatar
    Yes, well, to me, they (Paizo and Wizards) should get rid of Resurrection spells, maybe keep something like Revive (revive someone who died the round before max) as a 6th-level spell, and make Raise Dead an 8th-level spell, leaving Wish make the Resurrection spell. All at a hefty cost in personal power for the caster (not necessarily XP as Wizards of the Coast did, but Wisdom or non-lethal damage that can only be restored by rest).

That said, this is another debate, and I know they will never make those changes, as Raise Dead has been a flag-spell for D&D-like games for about 40 years now...

Quote Originally Posted by No One of Consequence View Post
    Yes, well, to me, they (Paizo and Wizards) should get rid of Resurrection spells, maybe keep something like Revive (revive someone who died the round before max) as a 6th-level spell, and make Raise Dead an 8th-level spell, leaving Wish make the Resurrection spell. All at a hefty cost in personal power for the caster (not necessarily XP as Wizards of the Coast did, but Wisdom or non-lethal damage that can only be restored by rest).

That said, this is another debate, and I know they will never make those changes, as Raise Dead has been a flag-spell for D&D-like games for about 40 years now...
    Raise dead has a serious cost for the target: two permanent negative levles, so you need at least 1 week and 2 restoration to remove both.

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Raise dead has a serious cost for the target: two permanent negative levles, so you need at least 1 week and 2 restoration to remove both.
    We don't get those negative levels ingame tho (unless that changed recently ?)

Senior Member No One of Consequence's Avatar
    My remark was a general remark, that's why Caine answered with the pnp rules. I had forgotten about the 1-week rule for Restoration. Besides, if Raise Dead was a higher-level spell, the Cleric would have access to Greater Restoration (level 7), which can restore all negative levels at once.
    Still, no cost for the caster, whch should be the case in my opinion, in order to simulate the draining cost of such a miraculous spell. Granted, in my opinion, a lot of very powerful spells (like Raise Dead, Wish, Miracle, and similar magic), should be draining/exhausting for the caster.
    But anyway, sorry for the offside remark, my personal wishes are not the point of your post.

Within the general folklore of Pathfinder games, yes, it's a shame that things like Raise Dead are not implemented for NPCs as well. However, to be honest, if it were, I'm pretty sure you would see some players arguing over it and asking why this NPCs who was resurrected said nothing about it after and showed no trauma about it, maybe not even a "thanks again" after a while, and so on. :p
    In Kingmaker, as far as I can see, those deaths are supposed to be the consequences of your choices. If you could resurrect the guy after his death, that would cancel the choice. So, the devs probably decided against resurrection for any NPC.

Quote Originally Posted by No One of Consequence View Post
    Within the general folklore of Pathfinder games, yes, it's a shame that things like Raise Dead are not implemented for NPCs as well. However, to be honest, if it were, I'm pretty sure you would see some players arguing over it and asking why this NPCs who was resurrected said nothing about it after and showed no trauma about it, maybe not even a "thanks again" after a while, and so on. :p
    In Kingmaker, as far as I can see, those deaths are supposed to be the consequences of your choices. If you could resurrect the guy after his death, that would cancel the choice. So, the devs probably decided against resurrection for any NPC.
    Kesten deat allow me to name the barracks in his honor. I haven't checked what are the effects of that as the project hasn't jet ended.

The best option would be to allow Breath of life to work, with the usual limitations. Do it now and accept the consequences (spend 1 round and burn a 5th level slot or ascroll while fighting or lose the NPC.

Remember that while you may be able to cast that spell even in PNP a returning dead one is not guaranteed at all.
    Basically the NPC/Player you want to resurrect has the last word if he even WANTS to return or not.
    So despite the obvious flaws in a computer rpg that I agree with are totally stupid. It is totally possible that they simply found the afterlife with Pharasmas court on their way to their final destination, more attractive then the stolen lands are. I would understand that for sure.

I guess the only ones that could go against a souls wishes to resurrect or not are the gods themselves.
    Certainly no mortal!

There's a way to save Both Kesten and Jhod
    Spoiler:

The first time I played, I was able to reach the Womb when the militia and Kesten where still fighting against the enemies.
    I think he survived because I had trained him as an adviser.

I had already noticed in the previous battle that the militia was performance was worse than in my first run of the game.