View Poll Results: Which issue with kingdom management frustrates you the most?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • There are too many events and projects happening at the same time

19 10.44%
  • Events and projects take too much time to complete

54 29.67%
  • Having only up to 10 advisors at the same time is not enough

5 2.75%
  • Having 3 NPC candidates available per each of the 10 advisor roles is not enough

61 33.52%
  • There is not enough information about kingdom management in the game

18 9.89%
  • It is too hard to decrease your kingdom's Unrest levels

13 7.14%
  • It is too hard to get more BPs / There is always too little BPs available

12 6.59%
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    I think allowing custom companions to be advisors to be best option. They could use already existing conversations for advisors based on companion alignment. For example for Magister: good companions will get Octavia lines, Neutral ones Storyteller lines and Evil ones will get Vordekai lines.

Senior Member The Infinity Sock's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Torinus View Post
    I think allowing custom companions to be advisors to be best option. They could use already existing conversations for advisors based on companion alignment. For example for Magister: good companions will get Octavia lines, Neutral ones Storyteller lines and Evil ones will get Vordekai lines.
    Or do what romance of the three kingdoms have done and that is to hire wandering advisors from what i remember of playing this game the advisors do not have voice actors so it would not be hard to put in wandering advisors into this game

Senior Member No One of Consequence's Avatar
    Not everybody use custom companions, and the options must be the same for everybody. Allowing custom companions as advisors would give too much importance on them, players would be pushed towards not using normal companions (and thus not play their stories) and using only custom companions instead. That would be a shame in my opinion.

You would not be forced to use custom companions in anything but advisory positions, I don't see what is the problem. Anyone can create a few custom companions to fill in some of the advisor positions. And since they cost gold, it is a nice balancing act of using what game gives you or spending gold to make your own.
    Last edited by Torinus; 01-24-2019 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by No One of Consequence View Post
    Not everybody use custom companions, and the options must be the same for everybody. Allowing custom companions as advisors would give too much importance on them, players would be pushed towards not using normal companions (and thus not play their stories) and using only custom companions instead. That would be a shame in my opinion.
    Not everyone is using the npc companions either, some play with custom mercenary parties, some play solo. Whether someone enjoys premade npc or their own creations is a matter of personal preferences and one is not automatically better than the other.

I'd be in favor of mercenary advisors, if only because it gives you more roleplaying freedom.

Honestly could have voted for most of these options.

What I find the most frustrating is a combination of too many events, and events taking too long, with a generous side dish of never having enough BP, or perhaps more correctly struggling to find gaps where I have enough BP, Time and the right Advisor to accomplish stuff. (especially the events that run time off the clock - ranking up, adding lands, upgrading capital)
    --

Merc Advisors seems interesting, but also seems like potential trouble with min maxing, and possibly companions being left out in the cold.

--

A particular concern I have been running into is that the barony / kingdom seems like a big gold sink (perhaps this is more my fault than I currently realize but...) Every significant expansion of my kingdom / settlements & research is funded through gold earned while adventuring vs being a sustainable economy. it just seems backwards - the barony should be generating wealth and it isn't.

Various trade deals are probably the best example of this, requiring a significant investment that only ever pays off long down the road - taking way too long to even approach breaking even - and that isn't considering the opportunity costs of what else the BP could have been spent on.

My only problem for the most part is I feel my advisors are not empowered to make decisions, which makes me hesitant to go off and adventure to solve problems far away. I mean without putting this on automatic which completely removes you from the decision making.

Did my advisor really need me to make the decision about the one guys cow who ate the grass in his neighbors yard, then the neighbor locked it in his barn and got the milk? Yes I can let the advisor make the decision by selecting it from the list,

Why can't there be an option to allow trivial tasks to be auto handled by the advisors. Rather than me having to select it each time, let it be where I can turn it on for the advisor I believe can be fair and not on for the ones far away from my way of thinking.(Alignment)
    Last edited by Rexfelis; 01-25-2019 at 04:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by koz-ivan View Post
    A particular concern I have been running into is that the barony / kingdom seems like a big gold sink (perhaps this is more my fault than I currently realize but...) Every significant expansion of my kingdom / settlements & research is funded through gold earned while adventuring vs being a sustainable economy. it just seems backwards - the barony should be generating wealth and it isn't.

Various trade deals are probably the best example of this, requiring a significant investment that only ever pays off long down the road - taking way too long to even approach breaking even - and that isn't considering the opportunity costs of what else the BP could have been spent on.
    Yeah, this has been nagging me quite a bit as well. While it's not certainly gamebreaking compared to other issues it feels extremely silly that the barony's expansion is so much reliant on the baron diverting their own personal funds into its development. Neverwinter Nights 2's vanilla campaign had the same exact issue with its keep system since adventuring would generate so much extra money compared to how much the keep could ever manage to generate on its own even when set up with proper economic upgrades. At least in NWN2 there were some ridiculously pricy gear always available for purchase, so I think the situation may actually be worse here since the game currently lacks money sinks apart from barony itself, meaning you're not really even making a choice between pricy gear vs. barony upgrades most of the time.

I'm not sure what's the best way to go about fixing this and it'd likely require some involved balance changes and great care should be paid when making them, so things don't go awry into one extreme or another (too easy or too hard). In my opinion kingdom decisions, events and other management aspects should have a more noticeable impact on increasing BP generation, while balancing it out by making directly buying BP more expensive.

Hell, ideally you could even turn the system completely around in a way that a prosperous barony helped your adventuring endeavors by funding gear and item purchases, and not the other way around like it currently is. That would also help to fix the common complaint of barony management often feeling like a "mini-game" that doesn't have enough effect on the non-management parts of the gameplay. We do get some very nifty bonuses like exploration speed, attack roll and poison immunity upgrades every now and then but I feel the barony management in general should be tied more tightly into other parts of the gameplay, so the player was properly incentivized into building a prosperous kingdom for that reason as well.

Quote Originally Posted by hera35 View Post
    At least in NWN2 there were some ridiculously pricy gear always available for purchase, so I think the situation may actually be worse here since the game currently lacks money sinks apart from barony itself, meaning you're not really even making a choice between pricy gear vs. barony upgrades most of the time.
    There are a couple of mods which help with this - my own Craft Magic Items mod gives you a never-ending money sink competing with putting your funds into your Kingdom, and Vendor Progression (which I haven't tried myself) adds new and more powerful items to the game's vendors as you improve your Kingdom's stats, which gives feedback from Kingdom to adventuring while also creating a competing money sink.

The Artisans are another way in which improving your Kingdom can help when adventuring.
    Last edited by Rob Rendell; 01-26-2019 at 10:12 PM.

BP sustainability would be my second-biggest concern (I already voted for 3 advisors being not enough). Like a lot of people have pointed out the trade deals don't really pay off at all when it seems that making BP more sustainable would be their entire purpose. And today I just unlocked region upgrades... HO. LY. CHRISTMAS those take more BP than I've ever held at once and to top it off some of them even say there's not practical purpose for investing in them.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast