View Poll Results: Which issue with kingdom management frustrates you the most?

Voters
182. You may not vote on this poll
  • There are too many events and projects happening at the same time

    19 10.44%
  • Events and projects take too much time to complete

    54 29.67%
  • Having only up to 10 advisors at the same time is not enough

    5 2.75%
  • Having 3 NPC candidates available per each of the 10 advisor roles is not enough

    61 33.52%
  • There is not enough information about kingdom management in the game

    18 9.89%
  • It is too hard to decrease your kingdom's Unrest levels

    13 7.14%
  • It is too hard to get more BPs / There is always too little BPs available

    12 6.59%
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 95
  1. #51
    The "no councilor" issue is by far the biggest problem - Please fix ASAP!

    My top 5 QoL suggestions:
    - Let us buy BP from the Kingdom screen
    - Allow building rotation
    - Some buildings/projects will never give a decent return on investment - better balance please!
    - Problems that occur during 14-day advisor rank-ups should trigger a "return to capital" choice, allowing you to tackle the problem (possibly while losing some/all progress regarding the advisor rank-up)
    - Long (research) projects should get some kind of pause&resume function to allow our advisor to tackle urgent problems

  2. #52

    Disappointed with the lack of quality control

    Honestly the complete lack of play and bug-testing for the kingdom management aspect of the title shows. Especially towards the middle-end of the campaign. Events which are necessary for certain outcomes are not even barely hinted as such (researching particular curses). They also take precious BP (in the hundreds, at a pivotal stage of early development where you are not even getting a few dozen BP per week), and ages - months. Simultaneously, you can't address them if the only available candidates are needed to trouble-shoot arising problems (Divine-ly related problems can't be addressed by the High Priest if the High Priest is researching a curse). Provide either an alternate candidate to substitute in those cases, or severely reduce the time and BP cost required.

    You are losing players from the sheer amount of frustration this poorly balanced and bug-ridden mess causes, and you can either ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist, or work faster. Because I will remember "OwlCat" as a developer to AVOID and NEVER kickstart again. Quests don't flag themselves are properly complete, and negative outcomes continue to stack even if the initiating cause is addressed (Pitax is a HUGE offender - I take care of the monsters, pirates, instigators, bandits ASAP - and <null> destroys the kingdom anyway...while I'm waiting for the Dream-research phase to complete..because it's clearly shown that THAT has anything to do with Pitax, which would trigger the White Abbey Phase....that is just poorly planned, all around.)
    Last edited by dhraiden@gmail.com; 01-21-2019 at 10:24 PM.

  3. #53
    Senior Member The Infinity Sock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by dhraiden@gmail.com View Post
    Honestly the complete lack of play and bug-testing for the kingdom management aspect of the title shows. Especially towards the middle-end of the campaign. Events which are necessary for certain outcomes are not even barely hinted as such (researching particular curses). They also take precious BP (in the hundreds, at a pivotal stage of early development where you are not even getting a few dozen BP per week), and ages - months. Simultaneously, you can't address them if the only available candidates are needed to trouble-shoot arising problems (Divine-ly related problems can't be addressed by the High Priest if the High Priest is researching a curse). Provide either an alternate candidate to substitute in those cases, or severely reduce the time and BP cost required.

    You are losing players from the sheer amount of frustration this poorly balanced and bug-ridden mess causes, and you can either ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist, or work faster. Because I will remember "OwlCat" as a developer to AVOID and NEVER kickstart again. Quests don't flag themselves are properly complete, and negative outcomes continue to stack even if the initiating cause is addressed (Pitax is a HUGE offender - I take care of the monsters, pirates, instigators, bandits ASAP - and <null> destroys the kingdom anyway...while I'm waiting for the Dream-research phase to complete..because it's clearly shown that THAT has anything to do with Pitax, which would trigger the White Abbey Phase....that is just poorly planned, all around.)
    Owlcat is working hard to fix the game but i do get your points about the game there really needed more time on this game
    Last edited by The Infinity Sock; 01-21-2019 at 11:44 PM.

  4. #54
    Creative Director
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    9
    Hello, everyone!
    First, I want to thank you for the time you’ve spent with our game and for all of the comments and suggestions on its improvement! I will try to answer the questions to the best of my ability and will be visiting this thread from time to time to continue this discussion. So, let’s get to those questions, but before that I should warn about possible spoilers in the answers below. Still, I will try to keep them to the minimum.

    1. One of the main goals for the kingdom management design was giving you, our players, the feeling of ruling a small barony and personally seeing it grow into a kingdom. We want to provide you with the feeling of something you own and something you are responsible for. Part of this feeling of responsibility comes from deciding between travelling to explore that far-away cave or spending that same time on your kingdom. Because of that, most important projects in the development of the kingdom (ranking up stat, claiming and upgrading the region) require your undivided attention.

    To continue with the topic of events and projects. One of the biggest poll results is that events and projects require too much time to complete. Why is it so? If a player can achieve everything in one playthrough in a game that is full of different choices and decisions, then all these choices are bogus. You are just selecting the order in which you will be addressing those decisions. However, if you have to choose what you will be able to achieve and what not, those choices become far more genuine. For kingdom management, we wanted reaching all the max ranks along with most of the important projects to be a challenge that requires either sacrificing some of the travelling and exploration or very careful time management. Achieving max ranks is in no way a requirement for the completion of the game, it is one of the goals for those who are interested in this aspect of the gameplay.

    You can cancel any event or project freely on the day you have started project. On subsequent days, cancelling a project is still possible, progress on the project will be lost, but 90% of project BP cost will be returned back to treasury. Events can also be cancelled, but with harsher consequences – automatic failure of the event.

    2. Trade agreements are profitable, but not exuberant. To give one, but rather complex example let’s dive deep into one of the first trade agreement you encounter in the game - Trade agreement with Surtova. It costs 1500 BP to finish and provides you with +1 BP/Week for every Village, +2 BP/Week for every Town and +5 BP/Week for the city. Your rule lasts for more than 4 years, that means that peak performance of the agreement is 208-8 weeks (the project takes 2 months to complete).

    You start with 1 Village and you could build another one almost immediately, in 3 months you will acquire 2*4*3=24BP. At that time you can acquire 3rd village and upgrade you capital to town, increasing income from agreement to 4BP, in 6 more months you will be able to claim 2 more regions and 4*4*6=96 BP. In 3 more months you will be claiming 1 more region and constructing another town alongside with 6*4*3=72 BP. So, for the first year our theoretical income is 192BP.

    There are 9 more months with income of 8BP per week, netting us 8*4*9=288BP. At that time we save a certain doomed community and acquire our 3rd town, and also we can upgrade our capital to town, increasing our income from this treaty to 13BP. In 3 more months we gain at least one more region and 13*4*3=156BP. So our theoretic total to the 2nd year is 636BP.

    In another 3 month we acquire yet another region and 14*4*3=168BP. By the end of the 3rd year we gain another region and can construct additional town, our income for those 9 month is 15*4*9=540 BP and total for 3rd year is 1344BP

    In next 3 months we acquire another city and last region; 17*4*3=204 BP; for last 9 months we are enjoying 23BP per week for 23*4*9=828BP. Our total in 4 years is 2376BP. We counted our month as 28days, so actually it is 8% better, making it 2566BP maximum and returning 66% on investment. As our first two years brought us small part of money we can sign this agreement by the end of 2nd year and still get around 500BP out of it. And if we will be friends with Surtova, it can become even better.

    3. Teleportation circles and Mage’s Towers should all connect to each other, allowing you instant travel from one settlement with such building to another. To use them, you should go to your settlement with such structure on the global map, stop there and plot your path to the settlement you want to teleport to. There will be a special button «teleport» in the confirmation window with the list of all locations you can teleport to, select the one you like. Right now in the game not all of the teleport locations are shown this way due to a bug, that should be fixed in the upcoming patches.

    4. It depends on the type of the information and place in the game. We can divide it roughly in a couple of categories. Sometimes it is intentional, for example, we wanted more roleplay, than number-crunching, in deciding on state affairs while you are ranking up one of the stats. Or when you are selecting an advisor for solving an event, you are not exactly sure how they will try to resolve situation, but they usually follow their alignment or world-view. Sometimes lack of information is unintentional – like reasons for the decreased kingdom status, and we will be improving information about that in the upcoming patches.

    5. It is a tough situation to be in, you will be stopping development of the appropriate stat and amount of advisors available for the events will be reduced. That does not mean your kingdom will be destroyed. Other advisors could solve most of the events, and you can still increase stat with buildings and region upgrades.

    We have 3 advisors for each position of power, some of them could be acquired rather easily, other require quite a lot of effort. There are couple of problematic positions, for example, councilor, when it is easy enough to get yourself into the situation, when there is physically no councilor available (it is in part due to the decisions you have to make about Tristian, and part of the consequences to those, but it seems too harsh), and we a thinking about possible solutions.

    6. Yes, we are going to implement this feature in one of the upcoming patches.

  5. #55
    Member Rob Rendell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    40
    Thank you for your insights into the game design, Valaddin!

    If the goal of the time-skip is to make the player choose between realm management and adventuring, then can I suggest an alternative to the time-skip? You could make it that the player was unable to leave the capital once they start such a project until it completes... they could exit the realm management interface to return to the throne room and meet with people, and even go to the town square and tavern, but the exit at the south end of the main square doesn't work. Or alternatively, the exit at the south end of the main square could prompt the player - do they want to leave and cancel their current project, or remain in the capital?

    That would allow people to continue to manage their kingdom and any events that arise or complete during the 14 days, but not go out adventuring for that period.
    Last edited by Rob Rendell; 01-22-2019 at 08:59 AM.

  6. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Valaddin View Post
    To continue with the topic of events and projects. One of the biggest poll results is that events and projects require too much time to complete. Why is it so? If a player can achieve everything in one playthrough in a game that is full of different choices and decisions, then all these choices are bogus. You are just selecting the order in which you will be addressing those decisions. However, if you have to choose what you will be able to achieve and what not, those choices become far more genuine.
    The problem with the long duration is that by the time the projects are finished, they have little impact on the adventuring part of the game, e.g. because the threat they are supposed to mitigate is no longer there.The only project that I recall was useful was the increased travel speed. As it is, the kingdom management part feels too separated from playing the rest of the game. It feels like a mini-game that you play in-between your character's adventures, whereas it should be part of it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Valaddin View Post
    2. Trade agreements are profitable, but not exuberant. To give one, but rather complex example let’s dive deep into one of the first trade agreement you encounter in the game - Trade agreement with Surtova. It costs 1500 BP to finish and provides you with +1 BP/Week for every Village, +2 BP/Week for every Town and +5 BP/Week for the city. Your rule lasts for more than 4 years, that means that peak performance of the agreement is 208-8 weeks (the project takes 2 months to complete).
    Maybe if you know the ins and outs of the kingdom management system, then such calculations are easy to make. But my experience when playing for the first time was that the kingdom management is so opaque, the mechanics so well hidden, that I was playing a guessing game most of the time. I was burning through bp just to keep everyone happy, until a random choice (no import taxes) suddenly made the unrest a non-isssue.

    Also, do unrest, bp and your kingdom stats impact the game outcome? Towards the end the treasury was filled with bp, and the kingdom had a net positive bp income. Yet the epilogue was talking about the king & court being poor, which I assume was the result of the no import taxes decision. This seems rather illogical to me.

    Quote Originally Posted by Valaddin View Post
    Sometimes lack of information is unintentional – like reasons for the decreased kingdom status, and we will be improving information about that in the upcoming patches.
    That'd be very much appreciated, thank you for that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Valaddin View Post
    We have 3 advisors for each position of power, some of them could be acquired rather easily, other require quite a lot of effort. There are couple of problematic positions, for example, councilor, when it is easy enough to get yourself into the situation, when there is physically no councilor available (it is in part due to the decisions you have to make about Tristian, and part of the consequences to those, but it seems too harsh), and we a thinking about possible solutions.
    .
    It isn't very clear why only certain people can become certain advisors in the first place. For example, I'd expect that the role of the general would require someone with military experience, tactical acumen and the ability to keep calm in stressful situations. Yet both Regongar and Amiri will do just great, despite one having no military experience and the other being a loner figure, and even though both of them have little self-control and are prone to violent outbursts.
    edit: Without knowing that the positions are only stat-based, I'd actually nominate Valerie as the best suited for that role. For the evil councillor or regent, I'd think Jaethal as the best option, because of her background. Instead you can put someone who has centuries of experience as a judge to work in... culture.
    Last edited by wilczajagoda; 01-22-2019 at 09:19 AM.

  7. #57
    Senior Member purpleblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    392
    Thank you so much for the information Valaddin. I just want to make a few comments based on information you provided.

    4. It depends on the type of the information and place in the game. We can divide it roughly in a couple of categories. Sometimes it is intentional, for example, we wanted more roleplay, than number-crunching, in deciding on state affairs while you are ranking up one of the stats. Or when you are selecting an advisor for solving an event, you are not exactly sure how they will try to resolve situation, but they usually follow their alignment or world-view. Sometimes lack of information is unintentional – like reasons for the decreased kingdom status, and we will be improving information about that in the upcoming patches.
    It would be great if you can include bit more information on kingdom status in the future patch! I really want to know how long it would take unrest to improve once you take steps to fix the issue (e.g. my kingdom mood decreased from stable to worried because I couldn't top up BP on time but once the BP is back to positive, I have no idea how long it takes for mood to go back to stable).

    5. It is a tough situation to be in, you will be stopping development of the appropriate stat and amount of advisors available for the events will be reduced. That does not mean your kingdom will be destroyed. Other advisors could solve most of the events, and you can still increase stat with buildings and region upgrades.

    We have 3 advisors for each position of power, some of them could be acquired rather easily, other require quite a lot of effort. There are couple of problematic positions, for example, councilor, when it is easy enough to get yourself into the situation, when there is physically no councilor available (it is in part due to the decisions you have to make about Tristian, and part of the consequences to those, but it seems too harsh), and we a thinking about possible solutions.
    I don't think it's really 3 advisors per position if you consider things like 1. initial choice made not knowing which NPC brings what skill 2. roleplaying according to your alignment/personality . As an example, let's look at the councilor position. When choosing the envoy, I had no idea what skills Kassill (General), Shandra (Councilor) or Lander (Reagent) bring along, so the decision came down to who I wanted to be ally with instead of which advisor will be more useful for me. I chose to ally with Aldori Swordlords, so Kassill came with that deal. Later on, I did spare Tsanna but knowing she is the priest of Lamatsu and playing as NG character, there was no way I was going to hire her as an advisor to my kingdom. So that literally leaves only Tristian for the councilor position. Now, I romanced him and chose to forgive him but not everyone will be willing to forgive him - which means it comes down to sparing him even if you can't forgive him because you are in a need for councilor or kill him and leave the councilor position empty for almost entire second half of the game. I think that's a bit unfair.

    6. Yes, we are going to implement this feature in one of the upcoming patches.
    Yay, that will be awesome :)

  8. #58
    Quote Originally Posted by Valaddin View Post
    1. One of the main goals for the kingdom management design was giving you, our players, the feeling of ruling a small barony and personally seeing it grow into a kingdom. We want to provide you with the feeling of something you own and something you are responsible for. Part of this feeling of responsibility comes from deciding between travelling to explore that far-away cave or spending that same time on your kingdom.
    I think you've largely achieved that. I was worried about the kingdom management part but I like it in general, it elevates the player above wandering heroes and gives something to care about and invest into.

    Because of that, most important projects in the development of the kingdom (ranking up stat, claiming and upgrading the region) require your undivided attention.
    Then make it that we can't leave the kingdom screen (or the capital if we can't get BP from the kingdom screen) while ranking up or claiming a region. The baron would be flagged as busy but you'd still have to manually pass the days (or at least have an advanced option to do it like this). Automatic time skip creates lots of very frustrating situations. Let's say you want to rank up a stat. You also have advisors dealing with problems/projects that have 3, 5 and 12 days left to complete. You also have events that need to be taken care of, some of them potentially very damaging, and new ones will appear in the span of 14 days. You also will get new BP and maybe want to start new buildings or projects. If the 14 days pass automatically you have:
    - advisors sitting on their hands for up to 2 weeks despite finishing their events/projects and having new events/projects available
    - new events that may require immediate attention and/or cancelling ongoing stuff
    - BP you can't use until the time-skip is over
    Auto-time skip not only feels bad (taking away control from the player) but it forces you into not utilizing your advisors' time optimally. With how the game is set up with so many things on timers and not enough people and time to deal with everything that's extremely frustrating.

    You can cancel any event or project freely on the day you have started project. On subsequent days, cancelling a project is still possible, progress on the project will be lost, but 90% of project BP cost will be returned back to treasury. Events can also be cancelled, but with harsher consequences – automatic failure of the event.
    I understand with events but why is the project progress lost? Is it something that you can't change in the game or is it a balance decision to keep it like this? I can maybe see for some projects, like trade agreements (the other party might walk away if you take too long doing other things), but researching a curse or rebuilding ruins that stood abandoned for hundreds of years? Or building a road? The entire progress is lost because the advisor took 2 weeks to deal with a pressing problem. That seems unnecessarily punishing and is just doesn't make a lot of sense, no matter how you look at it.

    Spoiler:
    Last edited by voovpl@gmail.com; 01-22-2019 at 01:45 PM.

  9. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Valaddin View Post
    Hello, everyone!
    First, I want to thank you for the time you’ve spent with our game and for all of the comments and suggestions on its improvement! I will try to answer the questions to the best of my ability and will be visiting this thread from time to time to continue this discussion. So, let’s get to those questions, but before that I should warn about possible spoilers in the answers below. Still, I will try to keep them to the minimum.

    1. One of the main goals for the kingdom management design was giving you, our players, the feeling of ruling a small barony and personally seeing it grow into a kingdom. We want to provide you with the feeling of something you own and something you are responsible for. Part of this feeling of responsibility comes from deciding between travelling to explore that far-away cave or spending that same time on your kingdom. Because of that, most important projects in the development of the kingdom (ranking up stat, claiming and upgrading the region) require your undivided attention.

    To continue with the topic of events and projects. One of the biggest poll results is that events and projects require too much time to complete. Why is it so? If a player can achieve everything in one playthrough in a game that is full of different choices and decisions, then all these choices are bogus. You are just selecting the order in which you will be addressing those decisions. However, if you have to choose what you will be able to achieve and what not, those choices become far more genuine. For kingdom management, we wanted reaching all the max ranks along with most of the important projects to be a challenge that requires either sacrificing some of the travelling and exploration or very careful time management. Achieving max ranks is in no way a requirement for the completion of the game, it is one of the goals for those who are interested in this aspect of the gameplay.

    You can cancel any event or project freely on the day you have started project. On subsequent days, cancelling a project is still possible, progress on the project will be lost, but 90% of project BP cost will be returned back to treasury. Events can also be cancelled, but with harsher consequences – automatic failure of the event.
    Hi, tnx for reading our posts here.
    I think most people that complain about this issue actually just want to be able to continue to manage their advisors, deal with critical events (like Ancient Curse) during the 14 day skips. Some of the other posters have given good ideas on how to do this (being forced to stay in capital and needing to skip days manually on kingdom management screen).
    But I would also agree that at least curse research projects should be allowed to be paused so that advisor can deal with other events. Maybe introduce that curse research progress loses 1 day for each 2 or 3 days that it is paused?
    Quote Originally Posted by Valaddin View Post
    2. Trade agreements are profitable, but not exuberant. To give one, but rather complex example let’s dive deep into one of the first trade agreement you encounter in the game - Trade agreement with Surtova. It costs 1500 BP to finish and provides you with +1 BP/Week for every Village, +2 BP/Week for every Town and +5 BP/Week for the city. Your rule lasts for more than 4 years, that means that peak performance of the agreement is 208-8 weeks (the project takes 2 months to complete).

    You start with 1 Village and you could build another one almost immediately, in 3 months you will acquire 2*4*3=24BP. At that time you can acquire 3rd village and upgrade you capital to town, increasing income from agreement to 4BP, in 6 more months you will be able to claim 2 more regions and 4*4*6=96 BP. In 3 more months you will be claiming 1 more region and constructing another town alongside with 6*4*3=72 BP. So, for the first year our theoretical income is 192BP.

    There are 9 more months with income of 8BP per week, netting us 8*4*9=288BP. At that time we save a certain doomed community and acquire our 3rd town, and also we can upgrade our capital to town, increasing our income from this treaty to 13BP. In 3 more months we gain at least one more region and 13*4*3=156BP. So our theoretic total to the 2nd year is 636BP.

    In another 3 month we acquire yet another region and 14*4*3=168BP. By the end of the 3rd year we gain another region and can construct additional town, our income for those 9 month is 15*4*9=540 BP and total for 3rd year is 1344BP

    In next 3 months we acquire another city and last region; 17*4*3=204 BP; for last 9 months we are enjoying 23BP per week for 23*4*9=828BP. Our total in 4 years is 2376BP. We counted our month as 28days, so actually it is 8% better, making it 2566BP maximum and returning 66% on investment. As our first two years brought us small part of money we can sign this agreement by the end of 2nd year and still get around 500BP out of it. And if we will be friends with Surtova, it can become even better.
    There is a big problem with your logic here. You assume players can afford 1500 BP early. Nobody can afford that early unless you turn all your own money into BP but what is the point in doing that when you have enough BP later anyways.
    Please do this math by assuming when the players can realistically do this Trade Agreement (I found myself starting to have extra cash just before Pitax chapter but then it is not worth paying 1500 BP as you will not get enough BP back). For this specific trade I would: #1 Not show it to players early in the game, maybe wait until Economy reaches rank 4-5 #2 Make it cost less when it appears but also reduce the gain from it a bit. As it is now it just looks like bad design to most players.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valaddin View Post
    3. Teleportation circles and Mage’s Towers should all connect to each other, allowing you instant travel from one settlement with such building to another. To use them, you should go to your settlement with such structure on the global map, stop there and plot your path to the settlement you want to teleport to. There will be a special button «teleport» in the confirmation window with the list of all locations you can teleport to, select the one you like. Right now in the game not all of the teleport locations are shown this way due to a bug, that should be fixed in the upcoming patches.
    Teleportation Circles only appear once you get your Magister. It is easily possible to get your Capital to town level and get access to Mage Towers and have nowhere to teleport too. And that is almost two chapters worth of content. Can you make it so that if you got a Mage Tower in your capital you can still Teleport one way into any of your villages (and Oleg's :D) ? It would let players get access to this feature a few hours of playtime earlier and make it better for everyone.

    And if you will be reading this topic, can I ask you to make the Vordekai fight more interesting/harder on challenging and harder difficulties. Currently he dies in 1 round :(

  10. #60
    On the subject of only three options per position, here's the full breakdown (to the best of my knowledge, list adapted from this post):

    Regent:
    Octavia - MISSABLE
    Valerie
    Lander Lebada - MISSABLE

    Councillor:
    Tristian - Can be lost
    Shandra Mervey - MISSABLE
    Tsanna - MISSABLE

    General:
    Amiri
    Regongar - MISSABLE
    Kassil Aldori - MISSABLE

    Treasurer:
    Jubilost
    Maegar Varn - MISSABLE
    Bartholomew Delgado - MISSABLE
    Kanerah - DLC only

    High Priest:
    Harrim
    Jhod Kavken - Can be lost
    Tsanna - MISSABLE

    Grand Diplomat:
    Linzi
    Valerie
    Bartholomew Delgado - MISSABLE

    Magister:
    Octavia - MISSABLE
    Storyteller
    Vordakai - MISSABLE

    Warden:
    Regonar - MISSABLE
    Ekundayo
    Kesten Garess - Can be lost

    Curator:
    Storyteller
    Linzi
    Jaethal - Can be lost

    Minister:
    Jubilost
    Ekundayo
    Jaethal - Can be lost
    As you can see, it's very possible to find yourself with one option for Regent*, General*, Treasurer, High Priest, Magister, and Warden, and no options for Councillor*. (You will have an extra option for one of the positions with a *). But it gets worse.

    Assuming you assign the one option to all of those positions, and that you didn't take the extra Regent, then you one have one other option for Grand Diplomat, which then leaves you NO options for Curator or Minister. If you do take the extra Regent, then that frees up Valerie to be your Grand Diplomat, which frees up Linzi to be your Curator, but you still don't have a Minister. Also, adding Kanerah from the DLC frees up Jubilost to be the Minister (although it's a worse stat for him).

    Obviously, you'd have to have a really poor playthrough to end up with the absolute minimum number of NPCs, but it's not hard to find yourself very close to it. In my primary playthough, before I went off to the House, I only had two options for General - everyone else was locked into their position. (Jhod had survived, but had objected to me too often and quit.) And I had to deliberately not finish Jaethal's quest, or I wouldn't have had a Curator at all.



    I'm not sure what the actual solution here would be. Adding more NPC options would be good, but A) they're harder to increase their base stat (because it takes time and BP and usually a second advisor) and B) that's a lot of extra dialog/story that has to be written to handle recruiting them, and any other interactions with them. Adding more PCs (such as Kanerah) helps more, but that's even more effort to add.

    My suggestion would be to allow custom companions to take whichever positions match their highest stat (or their main class's primary stat), and to use a generic set of dialog for decisions based on their alignment. That's nine extra sets of prompts, but unlike new NPCs, it's just shading existing choices in a different light, which should be easier to write. And it solves all the position problems, not just the few for any given new NPC.
    Last edited by bobsson@gmail.com; 01-23-2019 at 02:00 PM.

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •